General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip ...MRI worth it? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-30 9:07 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Subject: Hip ...MRI worth it?
I went to the sports doc today and got an xray of my hip - report is that the bone/joint area looks good as far as arthritis goes and that if anything there may be a small bone spur on the lower end.

I went because of pain that has been on and off in varying degrees for the last 9 months or so..maybe longer. It not debilitating in that I can't run or bike but there are times when it really will give me a spike of pain particularly when I suddenly move my leg laterally or need to jump up and over something like a sidewalk/snowbank. It hurts deep in the hip/buttocks.

Doc suggested an MRI would be needed to see if perhaps there is a labral tear and that when I get the dye injected to also get cortisone and kill two birds with one stone. However, because I am running/training now that it may be best to wait til after season so that the cortisone can help.

I figure this is likely some sort of muscle imbalance but the labral tear thing or not knowing for sure what it is has me worried. Anyone else been in this boat? 

2010-07-02 11:55 AM
in reply to: #2954753

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Subject: RE: Hip ...MRI worth it?
Dude, let me tell you, breaking your hip is absolutely ZERO fun. If it is one of those things, like you've got a tiny stress fracture, the MRI might be able to save your butt 6 months of being out of it.
2010-07-05 3:53 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
thanks PA. Yeah, you should know about hip owies. Hope you are back to 100% now.
2010-07-05 7:12 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Well given the limited info I'd say 1-after 9 months of pain its probably worth getting the scan. 2-That said we are not 100% in our ability to diagnose labral injuries with MRI even an MR arthrogram (which is what they want to do) 3-a milligram or 2 of steroid (AKA cortizone) will most likely not hamper your training and may help you get better 4- usually labral tears are assoc with clicking and/or locking/catching symptoms 5- hip stress fractures usually present as groin pain and usually are not better at rest and usually make you unable to train so that would not be first on my differential for you but it can be a disaster of major proportions if missed and best ruled out.  If the scan is negative get with a good sports PT and rehab.  Feel free to PM me if you have more ?s

2010-07-06 11:01 AM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
thanks socks..yeah, i DO have clicking when I get into bed or raise my bent knee (doesn't hurt though) and frankly I figured it may be my IT band. 
If as I ramp up more mileage for a half in Sept and the pain gets worse, I won't put it off any longer. I also had a mess of a surgery about 5 years ago (was supposed to be laproscopic and wound up cutting me open and then 2 days later had an infection so they opened up the wound to drain it and NEVER freakin' stitched it up! ---grossest thing in my entire life having to deal with that for weeks) Anyhow...maybe scar tissue plays into this as well but I don't know if that would even show up on and MRI.  
2010-07-06 5:37 PM
in reply to: #2963365

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

BbMoozer - 2010-07-06 12:01 PM thanks socks..yeah, i DO have clicking when I get into bed or raise my bent knee (doesn't hurt though) and frankly I figured it may be my IT band. 
If as I ramp up more mileage for a half in Sept and the pain gets worse, I won't put it off any longer. I also had a mess of a surgery about 5 years ago (was supposed to be laproscopic and wound up cutting me open and then 2 days later had an infection so they opened up the wound to drain it and NEVER freakin' stitched it up! ---grossest thing in my entire life having to deal with that for weeks) Anyhow...maybe scar tissue plays into this as well but I don't know if that would even show up on and MRI.  
I am assuming your previous surgery was around your hip.  Scar will show up on an MRI but it can also muddy the water.  Could be IT band could be tendinitis causing what we call snapping hip syndrome.  Honestly it doesn't sound like a stress fracture which would be my main concern.  yes we pack infections open....gross but there it is I know a good orthopedist in Madison if you want another opinion

2010-07-08 6:53 PM

Sarah...I had hip pain on and off for about 9 months, had x-rays, MRIs, etc.  Dr even found a tear in the hip labrum and recommended surgery to repair.  I ended up going to another orthopedic doctor and he told me to hold off the surgery because he thought my hips, IT Band, calves, etc. were all tight. I ended up going to his Physical Therapist (a fellow triathlete) and she diagnosed me right away with piriformis syndrome (muscle very deep in the hip/glute, sounds like your pain) and after 4 weeks of strengthening and stretching my problem has been solved.  Have a PT look at your piriformis.  

Here is some basic info:  http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sprainsstrains/a/piriformis.htm

Good Luck,
Brian 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip ...MRI worth it? Rss Feed