General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Extending My Training Plan Through the Season - Need Advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-01 1:40 PM

User image

Regular
Providence, R.I.
Subject: Extending My Training Plan Through the Season - Need Advice
I have what I hope is a quick question.  I have been training for my first tri of the season (Providence HIM - July 11th) and it's also my first HIM.  I have another sprint race planned 3 weeks after Providence, an Olympic in the end of August and another HIM in early September.  I am the type of person that needs to have a plan to follow and I have been using the BT 20 HIM plan.  My problem is that the HIM plan ends with my July 11th race and I am unsure as to how I should be bridging it or extending it through the remainder of the season so that I can have an even better HIM at the end of the season while enjoying the other racers in between.  Any suggestions would be insanely helpful.

Thanks,

b

2010-07-01 4:02 PM
in reply to: #2956405

Regular
Garner NC
Subject: RE: Extending My Training Plan Through the Season - Need Advice
If you're not really concerned about continuing to build, but are just looking for structure between races, then use the same plan again. Count back from your next race, and start at the appropriate week to finish on race day. I find it's nice to take a step back and do some easier workouts again, and by the time I get to my next race I'm usually faster than the last one on the same amount of training. I think it also helps fight off burnout, since you're easing off a bit after each race and not just pushing longer & harder all year long.

If you're looking to keep building, find a plan that allows you to start with your current fitness and build for the remaining weeks before the next race. IMO, this will be very hard to maintain over a whole season, and runs the risk of burnout, over-training, or injury.

Dave
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Extending My Training Plan Through the Season - Need Advice Rss Feed