General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fat or Carbs: Which Is Worse? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-07-29 10:52 AM
in reply to: #3002361

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: Fat or Carbs: Which Is Worse?
tzcoaching - 2010-07-24 6:33 PM No worries, not harsh at all.  Any debate is good debate and hopefully it brings out the real answers!

However, watch this video (I know, silly video but it explains it well).  Take away, "its not about what goes in your mouth, its about what your cells consume", which is controlled by the insulin response...

So in my example, believe me there would be a difference in weight gain in that month.  Don't believe me?  Give it a try and let me know how it goes!

how would anyone gain weight in your examples only eating 500  calories a day? 

2010-07-29 3:06 PM
in reply to: #2998198

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA

camaleon - 2010-07-22 2:38 PM
Tri Take Me Away - 2010-07-08 9:29 AM Love this thread! When I need to lsoe weight, I PERSONALLY get my carbs below 50g a day and make my fat intake up to about 70% of daily calories. Saturated fat and polyunsaturated fat (Omega 3), mostly.
There are NO diseases related to carbohydrate restriction, but there are diseases related to fat and protein restriction. Of course, I agree with the others that said fruit and veggie carbs are much better than processed grain carbs, and I eat plenty of veggies. As athletes, we need more carbs but we can still do our best to get them from the most nutrient-dense source - veggies.

really?

read the latest studies on the subject...

Do you have some references? I would be interested in reading that.

2010-07-29 4:25 PM
in reply to: #2958666

User image

Champion
It's calories, pure and simple.

Lots of elegant theories about insulin secretion, blood glucose levels, high/low glycemic carbs.  Unfortunately you won't find anything in the research that backs up any of those theories.  When all intake is accounted for, macronutrient breakdown doesn't play much of a role in weight control.

And there are several critical analyses of Taubes out there that are worth a read.
2010-08-20 11:33 AM

As my endocrinologist friend loves to remind me, "Weight loss is not linear."

It is not as simple as complex carbs, calories or low carb or exercise.  They're all involved and it isn't mathematically predictable.  If you were able to cage a person and strictly control their diet and exercise you still wouldn't be able to accurately predict their weightloss in a linear fashion.  Nor could you predict the endpoint in terms of weight and date.

Another friend, a sports medicine internist loves to tell me, "You diet for weighloss.  You exercise for fitness."

The truth is its a series of considerations.  Not a formula.  Our bodies are a symphony of complex systems, not a mechanical device.

Edited by jmot 2010-08-20 11:34 AM
2010-08-22 2:59 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Funny thing is most doctors if not from a sports medicine field have no idea how food or supplements effect training and weightloss.  You want the real inside info on how to manipulate your diet to acheive your weightloss/tri goals talk to dieticians who work with athletes and body builders.  Yes body builders.  They have tracked every calorie and macro nutrient that has gone in thier body for years.  They have spreadsheets telling them what to eat, in what sized portion, and what time of the day.  These guys are ususally encyclopedias of knowledge because they have manipulated their diet to bulk in size, or to cut for competitions, and everything in between.  The one general rule I have picked up is protein is to be 1-1.5g a day per pound of lean body mass.  As far as carbs, they should have an inverse relationship with each other.  You can go towards ketosis which is under 20g a day of carbs and high levels of fat.   This is great for losing weight, but not so great for aerobic activity.  You can go moderate fat and moderate carbs.  This is more for recomping or trying to slowly drop/add weight depending on calories and sustains moderate levels of aerobic activity.  The other is high carbs/low fat which I would imagine is what most triathletes would be looking for. 

I personally am on the moderate carb/moderate fat and trying to push for high levels of cardio with the help of stims like caffeine and 1,3-dimethylamylamine.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fat or Carbs: Which Is Worse? Rss Feed  

of 2