General Discussion Race Reports! » 2010 JRAG Buster Britton Memorial Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

2010 JRAG Buster Britton Memorial Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pelham, Alabama
United States
Team Magic, Inc
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 12m 54s
Overall Rank = 47/282
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/43
Swim
  • 05m 59s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

Short Swim. As usual I was seeded too low and passed 20+ people on the swim. The water was bathwater - not the best for fast times. Still, I never got passed and put in a decent time. I still think I should be good for 5:30 on this course. So a bit underwhelmed with the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Swung out too wide on the first leg and cost myself extra yardage.
Transition 1
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

Top third in T1. I do put on socks, so there is a few seconds. Also, my preassigned rack made for a long run in bike shoes to the mount line. That slows things down - nothing to do there.

Not much.
Bike
  • 37m 29s
  • 13.11 miles
  • 20.99 mile/hr
Comments:

Gotta be pumped about this result. I passed maybe a dozen people and got passed three times. I held a good high cadence and managed the course well. I tried not to get into high torque situations going up hills and tried to make up time on the flats (not many there) and downhills.

Given that I have owned a road bike for less than a year (and started riding from scratch last year), this is a great result. I am improving readily, even with the small amount of bike training I have been getting in. I would love to find the time to really concentrate on the bike - I think it would be very worthwhile.

I need to work on accelerating after hills. This course presents plenty of opportunities there and it is something I can use to improve. My turnarounds were serviceable, but hardly world class.

I stayed seated the entire time. I could have probably done some standing work.

Other than that my goal was 21mph and I hit that. On this course that is a superb speed.
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

Meh - this was average for the tri. I managed to drop my bike at the dismount line. No harm done, though.

Knowing my running issues, I took extra time to drink and splash some water on myself. I also had to run back to my rack in bike shoes - slow. So not awful, but if this had been a normal temperature tri I could have shaved :20 off this easily.

Not much, given the heat.
Run
  • 25m 28s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Just brutally hot. Heat index on the road was somewhere in the 100-110 degree range. Humidity 80%+. Awful conditions.

I cramped up in my calves starting the run. Stopped and stretched them - it made me feel better, but didn't make me any faster.

I thought I had 22:30 in me, but with the problems I have been having running in heat I can't say I'm surprised that I slowed down this much. I can honestly say I gave it all I had, and the effort was enough to get me 3rd in the Beginner Category. So I guess it was good enough!

Personal air conditioning system? Geishas to run along side and fan me?
Post race
Warm down:

Major heat issues. Felt pretty bad. Drank massive amounts of water and poured even more on my head to try and cool down.

I should have worked on my calves. They didn't hurt bad then, but are actually bad enough to keep me out of work for a day. I am immobile for the moment. I guess I needed a training break anyway.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Brutally hot conditions.

Event comments:

Great local race. Given the conditions it was a great production.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-02-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:59 | 437 yards | 01m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/43
Overall: 17/282
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Clockwise triangle
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:34
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:37:29 | 13.11 miles | 20.99 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/43
Overall: 29/282
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Course profile posted. Tough course with lots of hills - 1300ft of climbing in 13.1 miles (I'd call that pretty hilly). All descents are technical - sharp sweeping turns throughout. This course makes it difficult to stay in aero long. Lots of gear changes and maneuvering. Pretty much the hardest bike tri course around.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 94
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:28 | 03 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/43
Overall: 90/282
Performance: Average
Course: Steep rolling hills. Out and back.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %5
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-04 2:52 PM

User image

Master
Subject: 2010 JRAG Buster Britton Memorial Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2010 JRAG Buster Britton Memorial Triathlon Rss Feed