Queensland Events
16C / 61F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 44m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:30am to watch the finish of the Prologue in the Tour De France - gotta get the priorities right! Had breakfast and waited for my ride to the race.
Event warmup:

Lots of walking and some light stretching. Anything to calm the nerves
Run
  • 2h 44m 30s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 07m 48s  min/km
Comments:

This was my first Half Marathon and I have not run more than 18km previously so there a real 'unknown' factor that was nagging at me.
My HR was at 135 at the gun and I was nervous.
The first 5km were a struggle with so many thousands of competitors. I found it impossible to get a rythmn and I developed some shin soreness in the first 2km. I was worried that it would get worse and I spent some time walking and stretching to loosen up a bit.
By 7km I was already well behind my planned pace. I popped a gel and with the next km I was feeling much better. The next 10km were comfortable and I was heading for a 2:35 finish time - which I was not unhappy about.
At the 18km mark - at that stage my longest ever run - I began cramping in the calves. I stopped and stretched and got running again. I was feeling okay but the cramping persisted. I could only manage about 300 metres of running before I needed to walk to relieve tha cramping.
The last km was the toughest because the cramping was getting worse but I was in the home straight and my ego wouldn't let me walk in front of everyone. I finished running and ended up with a 2:44 time - inside the 3:00 hour cut-off time and a PB for me!
What would you do differently?:

Hydrate more and train more.
Post race
Warm down:

Lots of walking and some light stretching. I didn't want to stop for fear of cramping.

Event comments:

This is a great event and is gaining international recognition. It is a very well run event. I will be doing it again next year.

Last updated: 2009-10-19 12:00 AM
Running
02:44:30 | 21.1 kms | 07m 48s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Flat, out and back road course
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-04 7:40 PM

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria
Subject: Gold Coast Airport Half Marathon

2010-07-04 9:40 PM
in reply to: #2961018

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Subject: RE: Gold Coast Airport Half Marathon
Congratulations on finishing the first half!
I agree, it's a great race and fantastic venue. Sorry to hear about your cramps, I had identical issue while finishing the full and I'm beginning to think it had something to do with that Endura... but we'll never know.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gold Coast Airport Half Marathon Rss Feed