General Discussion Race Reports! » Mike Collingwood Memorial Triathlon (Meech Lake Tri) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mike Collingwood Memorial Triathlon (Meech Lake Tri) - TriathlonShort Course

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chelsea, Quebec
Canada
Zone3sports
30C / 86F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 49m 44s
Overall Rank = 119/208
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 19/24
Pre-race routine:

I got up at 6:00 a.m. and had three pieces of toast with PB, a banana, and some orange juice. Headed across the lake around 6:30. Had a granola bar at about 7:45. Also one shot block so that my package was open and ready to stuff in my pocket after the swim.
Event warmup:

Rode the 6 km to T2, got my race kit, and dropped my shoes and hat. Then rode back to T1 and got my bike set up. Went down to the lake and had a nice warm-up swim out to the first buoy and back. I had helped set up the buoys the night before and they looked perfectly positioned from the beach - wasn´t sure they were the night before. We set the two turn buoys by GPS but eyeballed the in between sighting buoys. Turns out we had them bang on.
Swim
  • 23m 28s
  • 1200 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

The warm-up seemed to be enough to get me swimming well from the gun. I got a good rhythm going right away and kept it the whole swim. I bumped a few people in the first 200m that probably slowed me down a bit. Sighting was good except on the return leg where we swim into the sun - couldn´t see a thing so just tried to keep with others and to the inside.

I had seeded myself at a 2:00/100m pace and my official time pace was 1:58. This includes wetsuit removal and putting on shows for the run to T1 before crossing the timing mat, so my swim time was even faster. This was my best swim ever. I also slowed down a bit just before the end to get my heartrate down for the long run to T1.
What would you do differently?:

Breakfast tried to come up twice just before the end of the swim - a little less to eat might be better.
Transition 1
  • 06m 13s
Comments:

There is 400 m steep uphill run from the swim exit to T1. I ran it this year - last time I did the race I had to walk up the hill. Time is an estimate - worse that two years ago so I think there is something wrong with one of my calculations - this T1 definitely went better.
What would you do differently?:

Tie my shoes so I can run faster - or speedlaces on my spare shoes.
Bike
  • 44m 22s
  • 23.5 kms
  • 31.78 km/hr
Comments:

I think I could have gone harder. Took the hills very comfortably
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Bike handler took the bike but I kept my helmet. Missed the turn to my shoes and ended up running through the crowd a bit and lost a few seconds.
Run
  • 34m 12s
  • 6.4 kms
  • 05m 20s  min/km
Comments:

Started out at a good sub 5:00 pace but lost that after the second km and ran 5:30s thereafter. I knew my run would be bad given the lack of training but it was much better than two years ago and may be my second best run in a short tri.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched, ate, chatted with friends then went back to the cottage for a swim.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I´m slow.

Event comments:

I love this race - it is a hard course, it challenges my weaknesses with a long swim and a hilly bike course. The volunteers are the best. Organization is great - numbered bike racks, bike handlers, lots of water. There are no finishers medals or entertainment - just a great race. I´ll be back for more punishment.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-07-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:28 | 1200 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 19/24
Overall: 137/208
Performance: Good
Suit: Nineteen Pipeline
Course: A triangular out and back swim from O´Brien´s beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:13
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:44:22 | 23.5 kms | 31.78 km/hr
Age Group: 19/24
Overall: 111/208
Wind: Some
Course: One loop of the Parkway
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 71
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:34:12 | 06.4 kms | 05m 20s  min/km
Age Group: 21/24
Overall: 134/208
Course: Out and back on the parkway north loop
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-06 9:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: Mike Collingwood Memorial Triathlon (Meech Lake Tri)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mike Collingwood Memorial Triathlon (Meech Lake Tri) Rss Feed