General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie, Shoulder pain during swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-06 9:56 AM

Subject: Newbie, Shoulder pain during swim
Hey folks,

I am training for my first Tri (sprint) in about a month, and last night during my swim I started to feel a pretty sharp pain in my right shoulder, in what felt like my rotator cuff area.  I'm curious if I should press on and swim again tomorrow night, or give it some rest?  Is it likely that my shoulders are just sore and need to get used to the swimming workout?  Any advice would be great! 

Thanks!

KY

2010-07-06 10:00 AM
in reply to: #2963104

User image

Subject: RE: Newbie, Shoulder pain during swim
Probably should take it a bit easier.

Odds are your stroke is out of whack. You should feel it more in your back and lats than in your shoulder. This is one area where getting a coach for a session or two is well worth the price of admission.
2010-07-06 10:11 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
x2 on getting some coaching sessions.

I dealt with this a lot when I started.  Scale back the volume, and really work on good mechanics to help prevent it in the future.

And yes, I'd give it a day or two rest, then go back and see how it feels.  I would recommend against 'swimming through the pain' in this case.  (Swimming through muscular fatigue pain is fine, and recommended; swimming through sharp rotator cuff pain is a recipe for longer-term injury, IMO.)
2010-07-06 10:19 AM
in reply to: #2963172

Thanks fellas,

I'm all for getting a coach.  I swim with a Masters class right now which has a coach, but his attention is divided between 10 swimmers per hour long session.  I'll see if I can find someone else for the short term.

Do you guys recommend bilateral breathing?  When I first started training (2 weeks ago ha ha) I was just breathing on my right side every other stroke.  Now, I've heard that bilateral breathing is the best bet, so I tried that last night, and thats when my shoulder started hurting.  I'm assuming you are correct that it was because my stroke was out of whack trying the new breathing.

Thanks a ton guys.

2010-07-06 10:22 AM

User image

I really wouldn't try anything new, especially if that's when the pain started. Get a coach.

Until then, stick with what worked prior to the pain, breathing on one side in this case. You can get fancy after you get some endurance built up.
2010-07-06 10:28 AM

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH
Consider getting a coach to help you check and perhaps reassemble your stroke.  Also, consider consulting a sports doctor.

I found that much of what I'd learned as a club swimmer in the 80's has changed.  What I survived in my teens gave me swimmer's shoulder in my 40-something less tolerant body.  I'd back off anything that gives that sharp pain and get help.  I was lucky enough to catch mine early thanks to a lifeguard recovering from rotator cuff surgery.  She could see I was heading down that same road and complained of the same kind of pain.  Thanks to her, I saw a doctor early and got physical therapy and rebuilt my stroke.  That's also how I started into tri - looking for cross training while my lap swimming was limited  :-)

It took me months to recover from relatively low-level pain.  Apparently this is one area it pays to be conservative and consult a sports doctor early.  I was lucky enough to be able to continue working out at a reduced intensity level during physical therapy.  Getting help early was key to getting to do that rather than having to stop swimming entirely, according to my doctor.

2010-07-06 11:04 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
I agree with Daniel.  Almost surely when you breathe to the left, your right arm is doing something odd that puts pressure on your shoulder.  If I had to guess (and it would be guessing!) you are pushing down on the water with your right arm when you breathe left.

2010-07-06 12:06 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
For what it worth I have been told that most shoulder strains are due to your hand entering the water across the midpoint of your body. Next time you swim see if you are crossing over.
2010-07-06 3:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Not intending to hijack the OP's thread, but I would like to ask if anyone has info on exercises that can be performed to safely strengthen the shoulder, as it relates to swimming.

I,too, have felt a few twinges in my shoulder, (and pretty much know that it is when tired, form breaks down, and I begin to push down on the water).  I would like to do a few exercises at home to strengthen the inner shoulder muscles, more as a preventative measure.

thanks
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie, Shoulder pain during swim Rss Feed