United States
Village of Pleasant Prairie, RecPlex
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 97/300
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/18
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3:30 to dress, eat a bagel, do one last equipment check and hit the road.
Event warmup:

I'd seen lightning on the drive up to the race site and there was a bit more around 5:30 along with some rain at 5:45, but the race ended up starting on time. I got there at 5. I had my transition set up, tires checked and hit the port-a-potty by 5:30 so I made friends with my rack neighbors and took my time getting my wetsuit on. At 6:45 I ate a few shot bloks and did some stretches to make sure my wetsuit was sitting comfortably then headed to the corral for my 7:15 wave.
Swim
  • 17m 4s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 17s / 100 meters
Comments:

Other than the guy who crossed over from the returning lane and almost hit me head on, the swim was good. I went out a little too fast but reigned it in pretty quick and there were no disasters. I passed one swimmer from my wave and don't think I got passed by any orange caps so that's pretty decent. I did pass a woman from another wave, although not sure if she was doing the sprint or Oly, who would not get off me. As soon as I got alongside her she not only tried to speed up but kept pushing into me on the right. I would move right and she would move right again to knock into me. I was about to give her an elbow when she apparently ran out of steam and finally fell back. Next thing I knew I was hitting the beach.
What would you do differently?:

Figure out which breathing pattern works best as soon as I hit the water. I kept trying bilateral breathing since that helps me swim straighter but in this instance I should have, and eventually did, stick with breathing on the right side.
Transition 1
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

By the end of the swim I was repeating "hit the beach, unzip, right sleeve first" in my head so I wouldn't freak out about getting out of the wetsuit. It worked and I ended up having the fastest transition time for my AG, 21 overall. So what if the pictures of me leaving the water show me contorting my arms to pull off a sleeve?

Not a thing.
Bike
  • 37m 24s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 19.94 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was fabulous. While I was surprised by how high my HR was and probably focused too much on getting it down, it didn't impede my performance and wasn't in a dangerous zone. I passed a LOT of people on the bike. My favorite was "chicking" guys on road bikes going uphill. No one that I passed ever re-passed me and the only ones passing me were on tri bikes. It was a huge difference from last year with everyone zooming past me on my hybrid.

Get in the drops as soon as I'm out on the road and stay there to reduce wind resistance.
Transition 2
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

I had trouble with my shoe (attached to the pedal still) scraping the ground as I went around corners which slowed me down. The ground around my transition area was muddy so I was trying to wipe them on my towel before shoving them into socks which were sticking from the moisture. Then for some reason I thought I needed a swig of water before taking off for the run out.

Practice corner with bike shoes attached and not waste time drinking.
Run
  • 28m 56s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

I got passed. A lot. People I passed on the bike passed me, people who were miles behind me on the bike passed me and I think even a few people who finished the race might have started the course all over again just to pass me some more. I passed two people.

I think I might have done even better had I not felt a blister forming between my two smallest toes by then end of the first mile. I think that if I hadn't been in race mode I probably would have quit running. The grit from T2 had evidently lodged between those toes and it was mightily unpleasant. I kept up the pace though and finished strong.

Everyone else was faster but this was still my fastest ever 5k time. I'm proud of that.

Focus on keeping my breathing even.
Post race
Warm down:

I grabbed a Gatorade bottle, turned in my chip and picked up my medal then sat on a bench to assess the damage to my toes. With my sock off I could see two humongous blisters, one on each toe. The sight alone made me want to cry so I hobbled off to the first aid tent where some lovely older ladies cleaned and bandaged me up. With the band-aids on I was able to put my shoe back on.

I cheered on some finishers then looked at the sky and decided it was time to start heading out. Normally transition doesn't open until the last rider is through transition but they were making exceptions this year with the storms brewing. As soon as I got to my rack the sky ripped open with a crash and the rain came.

As glad as I was that I was in my car by the time the torrential downpour hit I was incredibly impressed by the HTFU shown by the racers who were still out on the course finishing their runs. What a great story they have to tell!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Grit in my socks, a few extra pounds and just not being in peak condition yet.

Last updated: 2010-05-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:04 | 750 meters | 02m 17s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/18
Overall: 108/300
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Out and back across Lake Andrea
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:36
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:37:24 | 12.43 miles | 19.94 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/18
Overall: 86/300
Wind: Some
Course: Loop with a few rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 87
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:41
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:56 | 03.11 miles | 09m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/18
Overall: 186/300
Course: Out and back along the paved road and path that runs around Lake Andrea. Flat and smooth.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-07 9:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
Subject: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon

2010-07-09 12:20 AM
in reply to: #2965443

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon
What a phenomenal race for you! BTW twisty-turny wetsuit contortiony pictures are hot. Super on transition and being BIKE CHICKIE ... also, PR on the run! So awesome!

top 1/3 of your AG is incredible ... well done!!!
2010-07-14 2:36 PM
in reply to: #2965443

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Subject: RE: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon
Awesome job out there Allison!  It looks like all of the hard work paid off. You did really well especially considering how busy you have been with the move, etc.
And you PRed a 5k again?! I remember not too long ago when you wanted to break the 30-min mark on a stand-alone 5k race and now you're doing it in tris!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pleasant Prairie Triathlon Rss Feed