The Great White North Triathlon
16C / 61F
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 59m 31s
Overall Rank = 415/645
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 106/137
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5 a.m. milled around motel room. Gently woke up FW, got race gear on and went for motel breakfast. Egg on bagel, coffee, banana, instant oatmeal.
Left for swim course just after 6 a.m. Race Start at 8. Bike was already there. Took everything else. Got lift with some fellow racers. Found good parking on road and walked down to lake.
Still feeling incredibly relaxed, as I had during the days before the race - to FW's surprise...and mine.
Event warmup:

Got gear together.
Gave extra stuff to FW. Tires were pumped up from night before.
Checked gears to make sure they were easy for immediate climb after transition.
Had a Hammer bar and sipped some water.
Had second BM and 3rd pee.
Got wetsuit on and gave remainder of stuff I didn't need to FW. Left run transition bag with volunteers for delivery to transition site.
Swam about 300m.
"christened" the wetsuit several times for the new season :)
Got out of the water and got corralled to cross over timing mat.
Crossed mat.
Seeded myself relatively close to front right on the buoy line. 645 swimmers doing a mass start. Yummy.
Covered my ears to protect them from the starter pistol bang that misfired! But the race went on!
Had a hammer gel just before swim start and a sip of water.
Swim
  • 41m 53s
  • 2000 meters
  • 02m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

Great swim. Found lots of legs to draft off. Was only cut off once. Stupidly thought that drafting of relay swimmmers would be faster...nope. they were slower. Lots of fast women that I followed.
Start was a real mess of bodies, kicking, punching, screaming...well, no screaming really. Didn't bug me at all. Just felt like I was swimming in a pod of whales, well, athletic, svelte ones.
First Buoy was at 400m and it was a traffic jam...looked like a bunch of seals bouncing up and down in the water...waiting...what the hell were they waiting for, took a slightly wider turn and avoided the whole mess.
Solid stroke throughout.
Finishing first lap, it felt like I must have been a little zombie like. Walking carefully, over the silt, then the beach, then back into the silt then plopping my body back to horizontal.
Checked my watch first...I was at 21 minutes.

The side of my hand smacked someone's cranium really hard...I should have looked back, but I didn't. My hand hurt. Ooops. Kept going pretty strong. Didn't draft as well this lap...fewer people and I didn't like the lines they were taking. My sighting was the best ever - or my steering was. Can't be sure. Around the last buoy I changed the angle of my wrist, focused on long strokes and kicks and started motoring. Not as fast as last year - didn't feel like I had the extra energy, but strong nonetheless. Started passing lots of people. Good swim!

What would you do differently?:

Swim faster, if I can. This was a good swim. Draft with some faster people and don't be such a suck - push (or rather pull) it a little more.
Transition 1
  • 03m 11s
Comments:

Came out of the water strong. Goggles and cap off, Then my hamstring cramped....walked it out, struggle a bit with my zipper, but never stopped walking (not running) to the timing mat. Got the top of the suit off, found my stripper...never a good pole when you need it - I actually looked for a guy with big hands - little kink of mine.
Carefully lay down (I cramped bad in this position last year).
It was chilly. thought about jacket...didn't bother. tri top only. (and shorts)
Sat down to put on socks and shoes. dried toes and nothing else.
Hamstring was on the verge of cramping again WTF?
Helmet on, put wetsuit on rack (transition moved to run transition) and goggles and cap in designated bag. Grabbed bike walded bike in tight transition zone.
Had to keep saying "excuse me" as other athletes and volunteers were lallygagging around. Saw FW and waved.
Leg over bike. One foot clipped in and I had to push with the other foot for maybe 6 bike lengths. 3 or four guys either were in the wrong gear or were doing the julie andrews both feet on the same side start, which doesn't work on a 6 percent uphill grade...doh!
Got going finally.

Not much. Will myself not to cramp. Was very efficient in transition, maybe run a bit more? Be more aggressive - Get the F@#! out of the way?! - naw, I don't need that stress.
Bike
  • 2h 53m
  • 90 kms
  • 31.21 km/hr
Comments:

I thought my ride was fast...but the time doesn't look as fast as last year. But still MOP, so can't complain too much.

I steadily passed lots of people. Used the drafting rule carefully. I would pass someone, tuck in behind the next draft zone and pull out of it and be past within 15 seconds. Felt good.
It was a little tricky on uphills - there were drafting cops everywhere!
I had to decide whether I wanted to commit to passing uphill, or slowing down and waiting before I passed. I usually passed for the first half. Second half as I faded a little, usually waited.
Stayed with the same basic group for the last 30k. Lots of fast women on fancy bikes. Weren't too many people to pass at that point - only pass and repass those I was riding near. The fast cyclists had all gone by.

I felt a lot of wind...others didn't - after talking with them post race..but there was a healthy tail wind at parts and I was doing about 40k on that.
For the first 2k I stayed in small chain ring...got myself together, then ramped it up. Stayed in big chain ring for all but one hill.
Nutrition 4 hour bottle of perpetuum, one gel when that ran out. 1.5 bottle of water - probably not enough. 2 bananas. and 4 endurolite salt pills. Two advil near end. No hammer bars. First time without solid food.
Felt a little listless at times.
I had only done 3 or 4 3+hour training rides...I think this had something to do with it.
It was cold too, so I didn't drink as much as I probably should have and my hands were a little cold.

Lst 20k I was kinda listless, Even in the last 5k, felt strong, but unmotivated and a little distracted.

Forced myself to spin high cadence low gear for the last K or so.
I was really looking forward to the run.
Dirty Girl was trouble free. Shifted well and tracked perfectly.

Train more long rides. Push myself a little harder? That always effects my run though.
Think about race wheels. I love Dirty Girl, but I think I've reached a plateaus...And more training - probably weights...I have to squeeze out another 2k/hr from somewhere.
Transition 2
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

Cramped as soon as I parked the bike. Shit.
Helmet off racebelt/pouch thing I bought in Fargo on, hat on. grabbed three gels and tucked them into short's pouch.
Tried something new this year. No speed laces. Just the old fangled kind. Sat down to do them up...Lost a little time doing that - but they felt super comfortable for the whole run.
And the time on my bum gave me a few seconds to let the cramps subside.

FW was just over the fence taking pictures. There are a few with some interesting grimaces on my face.
Started running no problem. Passe the Drafter's "lap of shame" area and stopped for a pee. Still no problem.
Then Cramp. Like not regular cramp...but both quads locked up exactly like last year - just a little further away this time. At the 1k mark. I wonder if stopping to pee so soon after the ride has something to do with it...or maybe the lack of Bricks? I never cramp like this at ironman!

These were not run of the mill cramps. These were "decide if I can finish the race cramps!" at 1k of a 21k run, I had to pull some special magic out of my ass to continue.
Last year, when this happened, I walked. And cried. And walked backwards. And limped and walked and finished in 6:04 something.
This year. I decided run...run and don't stop until the aid station. Don't walk except on the two or three slight hills (they cause my quads to cramp more.)
Both quads were locked up. I tried a strech and my hamstring cramped. Stopped that in a hurry!
So I ran. Not at the 5:50 pace I was hoping for

Started

Not cramp!
I was one minute slower than I should have been here. But I took my time with the laces and I think that lack of hassle was good considering what I had to go through for the rest of the race.
Pretty efficient transition, all things considered.
Run
  • 2h 18m 41s
  • 21 kms
  • 06m 36s  min/km
Comments:

Started running no problem. Passed the Drafter's "lap of shame" area and stopped for a pee. Still no problem.
Then Cramp. Like not regular cramp...but both quads locked up exactly like last year - just a little further away this time. At the 1k mark. I wonder if stopping to pee so soon after the ride has something to do with it...or maybe the lack of Bricks? I never cramp like this at ironman!

These were not run of the mill cramps. These were "decide if I can finish the race cramps!" at 1k of a 21k run, I had to pull some special magic out of my ass to continue.
Last year, when this happened, I walked. And cried. And walked backwards. And limped and walked and finished in 6:04 something.
This year. I decided run...run and don't stop until the aid station. Don't walk except on the two or three slight hills (they cause my quads to cramp more.)
Both quads were locked up. I tried a stretch and my hamstring cramped. Stopped that in a hurry!
So I ran. Not at the 5:50 pace I was hoping for, but much slower. But just kept running. Everyone passed me. I would pass the walk/runners, then they would pass me.
But I kept going.
Walked all the aid stations and a couple of "hills" stopped three times to massage the top of both needs at the quad insertion. Owwwie! I bet my legs looked really hard and buff!
At the beginning of the race First Wife said she would abandon me and drive away if I didn't finish in under 6 hours...This was in my mind a lot during that long long long run.
At aid stations I took Hammer Heed and Coke and water when I had 2 of my three gels. Took 2 Enduralite pills. 4 more regular advils. Total of 6 regular strength during a 6 hour race...

My quads really hurt. Then my mind started doing the mind game thing..."come on...you are not going to make it...just walk. You always walk. No shame in that..." I fought that urge for 5k. And fought off wave after wave of cramps. Just make it to the aid station....just keep running.
For the last 2 or 3k I had about 15 minutes to finish..but this is a guess. I just dug in. Thought of what my friends and training partners and First Wife told (and threatened) me with.
Turned the corner into town, last couple of blocks. Didn't think I could make it (just pain - not winded at all!) But it was closer than I remembered.
Now I have a great final kick. I can summon energy to finish at a 3minute pace at the end.
I tried that now.
Left leg locked up.
Right hip seized.
Nothing there.
I felt like an old man.
I was conscious of gritting my teeth and closing my eyes.
I saw the race clock. 5:59:20...21...22...
I passed a guy.
I was conscious of limping. And how sad I must look.
I heard Steve King the announcer call my name.
I crossed that finish line.
First Wife came to me and helped with the timing chip. I was afraid to move.
Yeah Boy! Personal Best...who cares about the time, though. I didn't let the "walk talk" get me!

Not cramp.
I did everything perfectly. I minimized my losses and maximized what I could do. Used all the mental toughness I had and punched through the 6 hour barrier - just.
If my quads worked, I could have run faster.
Under the circumstances, things were not too bad.
As I write this, three days after the race. My quads are still tight and sore.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Some self massage. Looked for decent food...nothing but pretzels and water...Very strange for this otherwise very well supplied race.
Had one of the legendary virgin strawberry daiquiri.
Talked to friends.
Thanked the announcer-he did a stellar job. Thanked the RD. Went back to the hotel and went from hot tub to pool and back several times.

Felt sick for 3 or four hours. Serious intestinal cramping - first time ever. Must have gone to the bathroom 11 times. Totally empty.
Feeling faint and clammy. Should have had recovery meal...
Bought some Kaopectate. Guzzled some of that. It helped.
Started to feel better after eating at the awards reception.
Wore my compression socks for 36 hours - including while sleeping and for the 9 hour drive home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Don't know.
This is the big mystery. I've never had cramps like these. Never felt pain like this - except at this very same race last year.
Could it be that it is because the race is before I have my foundational training done? I haven't cramped at Ironman?
It wasn't hot. I drank enough. Had enough salt.
It could be that I just push too hard on the bike ride....I'm open to comments!

Event comments:

Did it. Broke 6. Broke my mental block. Now I have to run it faster without the pain.

This is a fantastic race that rivals any 70.3 race (from what I've heard) in terms of volunteer support. The whole race is focused on Age Groupers - although some pros and semi-pros come out to this.
There is great prize money, awards, super door prizes (I won a $500 gift certificate for a tri store) and two meals includes with registration.
Do this race!
Race videos are here:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/photo-thumbnail...

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-06-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:53 | 2000 meters | 02m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 94/137
Overall: 386/645
Performance: Good
Two laps, clockwise. Heart rate was never raised.
Suit:
Course: Two laps around a triangular course. two buoys in the water. One on shore to site around and a dirigible (yes, we ain't talking led zeppelin here!) floating high above the shore from which to site. As last year, first 5 metres is gross silt/goose crap/prehistoric muck that is full of sink holes and will rob you of your soul if you fall in...walked gingerly over that, but all the silt was disturbed so water was very murky for 100 m. After that it was clear and cleaner "tasting" than last year.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0C / 0F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:11
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:53:00 | 90 kms | 31.21 km/hr
Age Group: 88/137
Overall: 337/645
Performance: Average
HR never felt like it was out of hand. A couple of places I pushed a little, but it quickly came back. Solid effort. Race Director is very uptight about Drafting, so I was extra careful about that. One BT friend got done for drafting and I'm pretty sure she was not - as I passed her once and she was riding very cleanly!...The refs sometimes saw a group and penalized the wrong people.
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Official time is 2:58 - but that includes transition, my watch has my ride at 2:53. Fast course. Some very good valley hills. Nothing too steep, but steep enough to hit 74k/hr. No congestion on the hill this time - last time had to break the rules and cross the yellow line to not get schmucked by a slow moving blockers...A lot more truck traffic on road this year. Course starts at the swim, does some dipsy doodles around the country side on open highway and then back into town for run transition. There were no toilets on the bike course. After the halfway point my kidneys started to hurt (before advil!)...I had to pee. I pulled over the side of the road and had a one minute pee. Wow...Felt great after that. For the next 2 k, I saw lots of guys stopped peeing. Sorry gals. Funny though, I let it rip at the side of the road. All these other guys left their bikes and walked 10-20 metres... Felt much more capable after the purging. Only one pee is a great accomplishment for me...remember my first half I peed seven times on the bike! Lots of flats (not mine thankfully!) Must have counted 17 or 18! Good support though. Average speed up hills was 20k/hr.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 77
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:18:41 | 21 kms | 06m 36s  min/km
Age Group: 107/137
Overall: 481/645
Performance: Below average
Heart Rate was never an issue at this speed. Believe me! It never got too hot...rained a little and some strong winds - had to wear my hat backwards. No gels on course...but they give 3 hammer gels and a hammer bar in the race kit.
Course: This is a weird course. You head out in one direction, double back and go further in the other direction for, like, forever, then you double back again to the first endpoint then back to about 4 k to the start/finish. It is a pretty flat, very fast, very pleasant, incredibly well supported run...just frustrating layout.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-07 4:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
Subject: The Great White North Triathlon

2010-07-07 5:35 PM
in reply to: #2966834

User image

Veteran
Ottawa
Subject: RE: The Great White North Triathlon
Congrats on breaking 6!

Sorry to hear about the cramping an what-not. You are one tough dude!
2010-07-08 7:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lethbridge, AB

Yeah.. great race!  Sorry about the cramping.  You looked pretty grim when I saw you on the run course. 

You passed my on the bike about 20 km in or so.  But I was too busy worrying about my tire to holler.  

You won a $500 gift certificate??  Wow.. I'm sorry I didn't go to the awards ceremony!

Great job breaking 6 hours!  I'm next!

2010-07-09 4:18 AM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
What a fantastic mental battle!!! You won alright, you won!
I can't believe you were able to run wih the quads locked up... the pain is terrible and usually gets only worse. And that was not just quads, hams as well!
Well, congratulations on overcoming all that pain and winning the big gamble finishing the race.
Now...  PB??? in these conditions? You rock! Really.
2010-07-10 4:04 PM

User image

Regular
Winnipeg
No such thing as a perfect race.  You improvised and overcame!!  Now bring the warrior mentality to IMC baby!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Great White North Triathlon Rss Feed