General Discussion Race Reports! » Wheelie Fun/Speedy Feet Tri Series #3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Wheelie Fun/Speedy Feet Tri Series #3 - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Waynesville, Ohio
United States
Wheelie Fun/Speedy Feet
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 51m 43s
Overall Rank = 41/86
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This is the first tri I've done since the HIM last August so I was super pumped. The night before the race I had a dream I was DQ'ed because I was wearing shorts that had pockets. Then at work the day of the race I was very fidgety from noon on. I was ready to get my race on!
Event warmup:

I made sure to apply ridiculous amounts of sunscreen and then once again made the strategic decision to not warm up.
Swim
  • 17m 29s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was out at Caesar's Creek two days before and the water was drastically warmer on race day. I can't imagine wearing a wetsuit when the water is this warm. The swim went well and since my lessons with my swim coach and making swimming a priority, I've consistently managed to finish in the top 3rd of people. I think another key to my improvement on the swim was the workshop I went to at Caesar's Creek sponsored by Up and Running. There I learned how to sight better, and I noticed how far off people were from the buoys during this race. I think I kept a great line most of the race and this really shaves off the time.

I also really liked the one by one start. It spreads the field out so you avoid that washing machine effect. I passed plenty of people out there during the swim and I felt pretty good coming out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

I'm pretty happy with my swimming right now. To get better I would really need to focus on form and I'm honestly satisfied enough with where I'm at to spend my energy on a bigger problem area....
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

A bit slow on the way up from the beach. A bit slow clipping in.
Bike
  • 1h 07m 34s
  • 20.75 miles
  • 18.55 mile/hr
Comments:

As usual the bike was a train of people blowing past me. I passed 1 person out there and got passed by, well, a bunch. Pretty much the norm for me. However, I was happy to average 18.4 out there on those rolling hills. It's so funny to look down and see I'm going 20mph (much faster than on my training rides) and people blow by me like I'm standing still.

I took in two gels on the bike, mainly because I didn't eat dinner before the race, and I drank one water bottle the first 10 miles and the other the last ten miles. It was a warm day out there!

As usual here's my litany of excuses for my horrible biking:

1.)Used Trek 1000
2.)I failed my Bike fit so I'm probably not in the best position
3.)I have no idea what I should be doing
4.)I probably take it too easy when I'm training.

And finally the real reason, I need more time in the saddle. Sigh.

Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

For some reason I racked my bike, then decided to turn it around and rack it the other way. Weird.

Just leave the damn bike the way it was!
Run
  • 25m 1s
  • 3.6 miles
  • 07m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

An excellent run! I haven't ran fast in awhile (been focused on long and slow) so it's nice to know I still have some sub 7s in me. I didn't have my Garmin so I ran entirely by feel and I felt great. Passed some of those bikers that blew by me. I made sure to do the John Wall Dance at the finish.

Nothing really. Had a great run.
Post race
Warm down:

I had some cookies, packed up, and got home in time to watch Top Chef with the wife!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The bike. The bike. The bike. I can usually get towards the Top 3rd on the swim and run... and usually in the bottom 3rd on the bike. Too bad the bike is the longest leg of the race! I need to dig down and find some way to motivate myself to improve on the bike. Maybe hire R. Lee Ermey to ride along side me on a motorcycle calling me names.

Event comments:

This is the first time I've done a Speedy Feet race and it was awesome! A Wednesday night race, well run, great music pre and post race, well marked, well timed, well photographed, and all for the low low price of $11. You can do all 5 races in the series for $55. That's incredible value.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-07-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:29 | 880 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 27/86
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Down the beach at Caesar Creek, 180 back to another buoy past the start, then another 180 back to the start.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:07:34 | 20.75 miles | 18.55 mile/hr
Overall: 56/86
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: A very nice rolling course. Downhills were fun and fast. Uphill weren't too sucky.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:01 | 03.6 miles | 07m 04s  min/mile
Overall: 21/86
Course: Two loops.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-08 8:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Wheelie Fun/Speedy Feet Tri Series #3
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wheelie Fun/Speedy Feet Tri Series #3 Rss Feed