General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race on Family Vacation??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-07-08 9:53 AM

User image

Elite
Utah
Subject: Race on Family Vacation???
okay so here's the deal... I've decided to commit to a HIM next year.  For me this is a big deal when considering my athleticism (or lack thereof), work schedule, kids, etc.

The dilemma... Destination race on family vacation or close to home (looks like we're going to Northern Cali on vaca next year, irregardless).

Below are my thoughts.  Please share your thoughts.  Have you raced on vacation w/ little kids and regretted it?  Do you much prefer to race w/ your friends near home?  Etc?
THANKS

Since discovering the existence of Vineman 70.3 I've thought it would be an AWESOME race (and from talking to others that have done it, it is).  Hubby and I have discussed hauling the camper there to race and visiting his brother in Napa (whom we've never visited in the 10yrs we've been together)  Though, as some local club members are discussing training and racing together, a local race is starting to appeal.

Pro's and Con's...
Pro's:  Vineman 70.3 is a race I've had my heart set on for about a year or so now.
         "Destination" races definitely have an appeal for them
          How can I fail when I'm souped up from Jelly Beans from factory tour
          The swim and bike would be unforgettable w/ the venues (hopefully for that reason only)

Con's:  Do I want to have stress of this on family vacation?
           I could wait for a race later in the summer/closer to home and perhaps be better prepared
                   ^Doing so would also mean cooler weather.
           Doing a local race w/ fellow training partners and club members can make for an unforgettable experience as well, w/ lots of support from friends!
           I could then just focus on the EVENT and NOT the ENTIRE vacation!

I know what you're going to say, "Just do both".  But really? In this economy I can only do one HIM if I'm going to be able to afford to do some other events to help prep.

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR INPUT

2010-07-08 9:58 AM
in reply to: #2968019

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Race on Family Vacation???
Seems to me it depends a lot on your family dynamics, among other things.  I did IMKY and the whole family went.  We had a great time visiting Mammoth Cave and some other cool sights.  It wasn't the 100% best thing for my race performance (I was not, for example, staying off my feet in the days leading up to the race, not even close).  But we had a good time.

Most of my races I do sans family.
2010-07-08 9:58 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
I'm sorry ... is there such a thing as a family vacation that isn't a race? I have not experienced this yet. Our kids think "going camping" means camping near the race site, playing on the beach at the swim start, hanging out in nature or in the RV during the bike, and setting up the camp chairs for the run.

Wink

Please tell me more about these vacations people take where they don't race. It doesn't compute. Wink
2010-07-08 9:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
I say do it. But, where does it fit time wise in your vacation? Will you be too tired the following days to have a good time?
2010-07-08 10:11 AM
in reply to: #2968034

User image

Elite
Utah
ahohl - 2010-07-08 8:58 AM I'm sorry ... is there such a thing as a family vacation that isn't a race? I have not experienced this yet. Our kids think "going camping" means camping near the race site, playing on the beach at the swim start, hanging out in nature or in the RV during the bike, and setting up the camp chairs for the run.

Wink

Please tell me more about these vacations people take where they don't race. It doesn't compute. Wink

Considering, the trailer was our new piece of tri gear this year, I think we're heading in that direction.
2010-07-08 10:41 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
I'll let you know. I'm doing my 1st family vacaction, triathlon combo  this weekend. We're taking our kids to Legoland on Saturday and I'm doing a sprint in that area on Sunday. I'll get back to you on Monday as to how it went.

2010-07-08 10:43 AM

Nashvegas
Great question! My infrequent racing is usually incorporated into a vacation. In fact, what got me hooked on triathlon was watching my sister race Vineman 70.3 about 4 years ago. My wife, daughter and I connected with my extended family (parents, sisters, brothers-in-law, their kids) to support group for her at the race. Vineman is awesome, to say the least.

A few thoughts....
1. If you are the one racing, make sure that the ratio of "those needing care/supervision/potty-training" to "they who provide care/supervision/potty-training" does not exceed 2:1 during the course of the race and recovery time. From the standpoint of someone who has been on the providing care side of the ratio, I think that's a fairly accurate ratio.

2. Going on a destination race is a ton of fun, and gives the entire family a new experience. I've found that I've actually recovered better during "race-cations" because I'm not focusing on how bad everything hurts afterwards.

3. When I've raced, I have never regretted having my kids there to see me race. Seeing my daughter and my little son cheering me on when I near the finish line....wow, somehow there's just a lot of dust and sweat that gets in my eyes around that time.

4. Racing with my friends near home....I have no friends. I hate everyone. When I'm racing, I'm out to crush and humiliate the dreams of all those who dare to enter my domain! Friends? We don't need no steenkin' friends! OK, maybe I'm not "that" severe. I have run a half-marathon with one of the guys I train with, and it wasn't as fun. Seemed more like a training run; just not the same intensity as when I race solo. Hard to describe.

Anywho, since you asked for thoughts, those are a couple of mine. Do Vineman!
2010-07-08 11:09 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
We’ve done a couple of vacations that revolved around one of my races. We went to Galveston for Lonestar and Providence for IM70.30 RI. They can be really fun. My wife and son always enjoy the expo and they like watching the race itself.

I think the key is to not short-change your family on the “vacation” part. You can’t call it a family vacation and then make the whole trip about you and the race.
2010-07-08 11:28 AM

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)
I did silverman last november, we arrived in last vegas on wednesday and the race was on sunday.  We returned on monday.   My wife was dissapointed that everything was about triathlon. Between driving the course, going swimming, visiting the expo and registering etc.. she felt that we did not do anything that was not Race related.

Last month  we went to Hawaii 70.3 and I planned it better.   Arrived on thursday.  Thursday evening and friday was all about Triathlon and raced on saturday.  We stayed in the island until wednesday.  My wife was happy.  she even started looking at other races That I "have" to do. 

Next year I am looking at Cozumel IM and she is trying to convinced me to do Puerto Rico.   Works for me
2010-07-08 11:45 AM

User image

Champion
MA
We have 5 kids 11-21, and often combine a tri with family trip. Our kids look forward to races and ask if they can volunteer. One son who is 21 didn't come often but came to a race last month and thought the hot young tri women were fun to watch and he wants to go again.

My kids tell me which races they want me to do. One daughter is lobbying for Ironman Brazil. I hear frequently how much they are looking forward to IMFL this year. I'm going earlier than family so the extra time will be after IM so I will be unstressed mom for vacation portion.

It does add some stress to racing to travel as you need to bring more stuff.

Question is what type of racer are you? Nervous before races? Deal with strange places and unfamiliar routine well?

For IM Canada last year I started packing 3 weeks before and it helped but packing for a longer race and vacation for 6 was a bit daunting.

Edited by KathyG 2010-07-08 11:46 AM
2010-07-08 11:55 AM

User image

Master
Albany, NY
There is one race that I do every year that always kicks off our week long summer vacation trip.  The race is about 3 hours from our home and we plan the rest of our vacation to be somewhere easily traveled to from there.  I look forward to this race every year for many reasons...  But one of them is that I get the "hard part" done first so I have a great excuse to really relax and enjoy myself on vacation.  I don't feel guilty about treating myself to good food, good wine, I don't feel guilty about trading in a training run for a nice leisurely hike with the family.  The venue for this race is also perfect to take the family along too.  There is a great playground for the kids and plenty for them to see and do surrounding the race.  And my kids are still at the point where they are very excited about looking for me coming out of the water or flying down the hill and cheering for me.  They are 3 and 5 so they LOVE the cowbells!  I must also mention that I have a GREAT "support team" to watch the kids, which is a relief because you don't want to be worrying about the kiddos while you are racing.

I also do other local races, some at locations that are not so family friendly but others that are family friendly too.  I do enjoy them but I have a different feeling at the end of them.  Kind of like it's just time to go home and get back to the grind.

2010-07-08 11:57 AM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

Make sure you pick a great place for the family to vacation that has a race too, instead of a great place to race that they can vacation at.

My wife and I race while on vacation and it works fine.   My mantra is "being at the beach is so much better than not being at the beach."

2010-07-08 12:07 PM

User image

Regular
I actually suggested to my husband that, should he decide to do a FIM, we make a vacation out of it.  Granted, we don't have kids so it makes travel easier, but I would totally be up for it.
2010-07-08 12:09 PM

I agree with the poster who said 'there's such a thing as a vacation without a race??'. I don't have kids, but love to travel & drag my family (parents, hubby) along with me often. I do NOT like to race with friends (I'm too competitive & would rather race strangers) & love being in a different city, different courses, I always do better on my out of town races. Who wants to race in the same area you train in? LOL! I say do Vineman -you'll enjoy every minute of it & probably your family will too. Plus afterwards you'll be free to indulge in food & wine & not worry about training like you normally would!
2010-07-08 12:18 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
I really don't think my husband would be agreeable to that right now.  Our boys are way too young at 3 1/2 and just turned 2.  I would feel really guilty leaving the three of them alone for hours for me to do a race like a HIM.  I would feel like I owed him for me doing that!  I have not done many races but my boys have not done too well at the 10 mile run I have done two years in a row.  Maybe we can do that when they are a little older and a little more independent.
2010-07-08 12:19 PM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
I love love love to race around vacations (and work trips).

That being said it does take a toll on the family and I better be ready to do what everyone else wants when I'm not racing.

If this is your first HIM I would suggest doing it close to home. You are going to be sweating a lot of detail leading up to the race and having a family vacation around it will add even more stress.

I also love love love racing close to home because I get to hang with my BT family and we always have a good time.
I just did my frist HIM (Eagleman 70.3) and didn't finish as well as I would have liked. Having my friends there afterwards definitely softened the blow for me. we still had a great time hanging out after the race.

2010-07-08 12:58 PM

New user
Central, NJ
Me: Hey wife, do you want to go to Thailand for vakay next year? Perhaps Phuket?
Her: OMG - AWESOME YES YES YES

Me: OK well we better get training then, it will be our first 70.3
Her: Duped again! 
2010-07-08 1:09 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I've thought about the exact same thing...I've been to Sonoma County on vacation numerous times and I can tell you the course will be (is) beautiful.  I'm going to see how my sprint tri in August works out and if it goes well, I'll see you there, with wife and kid in tow!

2010-07-08 11:48 PM

User image

Elite
Utah
Thanks for all of the input

Lucky for me, registration for Vineman 70.3 doesn't even open til Nov 1st.

I like the thought of having my friends there when I come in DFL (hoping they would wait )
I also like the thought of not having the stress on vacation, though the current plan would have me doing the tri first and then vacation (lots of walking to work out the soreness).

Perhaps next year, we will go and check out the course, I can race here at home and become more comfortable in the "race" environment, then go back to do Vineman Full in another year or two???

THANKS
2010-07-09 4:55 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
How does your family feel about incorporating the race into the family vacation? Are they willing to sacrifice a day or more of the overall vacation for your race? Personally, I don't expect my family to come watch me race. Of course they are MORE than welcome to come watch if they want to, but honestly, it's not all that exciting for them - especially for longer events. If it were ME, I would probably do the local race. Our family vacation time is limited, and I don't think I would want to take a day (day and half? two days?) out of the overall vacation for a race. I would rather have the full vacation to spend on family activities... That doesn't mean that's the right decision for YOU, but that's what would work best for me.
2010-07-09 5:11 AM

Master
STL
I've done it and worked out fine. I will suggest, however, do the race at the beginning of the vacation instead of towards then end. that way you'll have it done, won't be worried about all the walking and, depending on you and your work out schedule, you'll have a recovery or even a off week.

2010-07-09 5:13 AM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin

Family vacations and a race is the way to go.  My kids have gotten to do all kinds of different things they never would have done had it not been for vaca-racing.  We always plan fun stuff before and after the race with most of it coming after the race so there are no, "I need to rest"...blah blah blahs.  We'll be up in Lake Placid in a couple of weeks for a Family Reunion/watch Daddy race and next year we're going to Australia!  Definitely places they most likely wouldn't get to see at their age (6, 4, 3)

Edit to say:  Just so you know if you go to too many cool places for Vacation/Races you'll find that many other people decide they want to go and watch you too and you'll end up with an extended family vacation/race.  I've got over 16 family members heading to LP and already 6 offers to accompany us to Australia.  Family vacations are getting a bit crowded for my taste, I'll have to do some crappy weather tri's soon

Edited by papson14 2010-07-09 5:18 AM
2010-07-09 9:05 AM

User image

New user

I was thinking about doing a race in Ireland on our vacation next year. I appreciate everyone's input as this is helping me make the decision. The only issue is the logistics of getting the bike overseas and the price to send it.

Anyone ever do a race overseas in Europe?
2010-07-09 11:43 AM

User image

Houston, Texas
We're going up to Dallas as a family in September. Saturday will be family events and Sunday will be me running the Jailbreak and getting covered head to toe in mud, which I think my two 6 year olds will think is awesome beyond belief. Afterwards we're going to hose me down, pick up some bbq and road trip home (stopping at a pecan farm, etc).

Vacations for us aren't always just about what the kids will enjoy, or the parents will enjoy, its also about doing things that bring the family together - and celebrating each other is part of that. [Sides, at some point ya gotta balance out all of the soccer games, tae kwon do belt tests, etc!)
2010-07-09 11:58 AM

User image

Master
Dirt Road
Depends on the attitude of your spouse and the age of your kids. If your wife is good with it and your kids are young I think it will be grand. Young kids like anything new, hotels and elevators are a blast in themselves. 

If the wife is questionable and the kids are old it is a whole different beast.  
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race on Family Vacation??? Rss Feed  

of 2