Other Resources My Cup of Joe » I need help checking my self. Co-parenting with the EX Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-07-09 4:50 PM
in reply to: #2969131

User image

Subject: RE: I need help checking my self. Co-parenting with the EX

Keep a very detailed log. I'm guessing it will come in handy in the future.

Good luck, sounds like you have the right mindset from what you've said.

2010-07-09 5:48 PM
in reply to: #2970317

User image

Lafayette, CO
Big Appa - 2010-07-09 7:22 AM

Thank you everyone for you replies.

For the most part the kids are doing good and are dealing with the situation well. The real root of the problem in my opinion is my EX wants to control everything. She works from home and I don’t so I agreed to have the kids stay with her and go to school by her because she has more free time during the day then I have. So she has the majority of the time with the kids, takes them to school, and the house. In her words the kids lives are with her and I am just a visitor and she wants it this way. She is an A type personality who is very smart and is use to being in control so any time things do not go to her plan she freaks out. When she freaks out she reverts and turns to insults and just really trying to be mean to try to bully me into backing down so she can get her way.

I am always polite but firm. I am working on almost acting with out emotion when I interact with her but this can be hard when dealing with a person who really does not care about being rational. I really do not want to fight for the sake of fighting and I really try to be fair even when it is not in my best interest but I am no longer her floor mat. I posted my situation because I really do want us to be able to co-parent and get along. Because of this when ever there is a possibility that I think I am being petty or unreasonable I always try to check my self to see. I guess it is a part of the whole trying to be a positive roll model for the kids. Being an mature adult sucks some times

Um, no.  Not acceptable.  You may not be able to be there 50/50 simply because of employment reasons but you are not and should never be just a visitor in their lives.  They are equally your children and you are just as much a parent to them as she is.  Don't ever let yourself forget that.   Others have given you some fantastic advice about dealing with this but that line just struck me and makes me sad.  Kudos to you for trying so hard to make the co-parenting gig work.  I was a child of divorce and I saw both sides do some good and some bad.  Fortunately as an adult I recognize it and now have a good relationship with both my parents. 
2010-07-09 10:52 PM

Regular
My two cents...

Take control of the situation.  Leave the drama out.

Call the dentist and reschedule a time when you can take her.  Explain to your daughter that Mom can't make it this time...she'll get over it.  You call the shots here, not your daughter, not your wife.
2010-07-10 11:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago suburbs
Great advice from everyone. Here is what I have done in the past"I totally understand she wants you there and you want to be there for her here are the options due to work and the timing of the appt1) you can come get her and take her. I understand that means she might be by you that night and it's no problem2) I can bring her but I will have to call and see if the appt can be pushed back 30 minutes3) you can reschedule and if it's on one of my visits, if you could make it for after 4 pm that'd be great"The point is to be fair and reasonable while not be toyed with. Now, if it is an emergency procedure, take the time off work and get her there. That is priority #1
2010-07-10 11:34 AM
in reply to: #2969177

User image

Extreme Veteran
NM someone else said it.

Take the high road whenever possible and don't argue with crazy person...they won't elevate to your level, so you have to lower yourself...not good.

Sorry and good luck.

Edited by RiverRat50 2010-07-10 11:38 AM
2010-07-15 1:53 PM

User image

Champion
SoCal

**Update**

So Sunday was our switch day and I was informed I was not going to get the kids till our court date on Tuesday. A bunch of drama happened but in the end the judge said she can’t keep the kids from me so I got them back Tuesday afternoon. A bunch of drama happened and my daughter told me my ex was heavily bad mouthing me. The reason she told me was because she did not agree with it and said some very grown up things for an 8 year old. I told my kids that I never want to bad mouth mommy and if I ever say anything bad or something they do not like to tell me right away so I can stop.

For the doctors appointment in the end she accepted my offer of her picking up from my place and I pick her up from the doctors.

We have another court date Aug 9th and the ex is trying to get my weekdays taken away during the summers and limit me from 3-4 days a week and every other weekend to 1 day a week and every other weekend during the school year. So now I’m now I’m trying to relax and prepare for court. Wish me luck

2010-07-15 2:04 PM

Extreme Veteran
Panama City
I'm good at arguing with the ex...
in response to you being an A-hole father who doesn't care about your daughters health...
She's the piece of Sh** mother who let her get a cavity in the first place
True or not, it helps you get nowhere and prolong the argument...that's how i roll, lol

and about the above post, you're the better person for not trashing mommy.  Fighting or not, you should ask the mother in person, not text, to please not do that.  And while I got you, and this will come up later since you are in the early stages of this...don't let the mom call you to talk to your kids about something they got in trouble for.  I have seen dad's get the "disciplinary" roll and all that does is paint you to be the bad guy.  if it happens at your house, address it, at mom's let her handle it (except for school grades, work together when possible)

Edited by brycoy 2010-07-15 2:09 PM
2010-07-15 2:12 PM

User image

Veteran

I am really sorry to hear that you have to deal with all the BS and that your children are in the middle of it.

She is absolutly WRONG to say the bad things about you to the kids! ABSOULTLY WRONG! IMO she is being very very selfish and thinking only of herself....

The thing is, it is a royal pain in the @$$ for us as adults to have to deal with all the fighting and the other BS, but it is the kids, in the long run, are who it truely affects. It is the children who get hurt.

Good luck with dealing with all of this and I hope you day in court finds you on the good side. Keep positive and keep thinking of your children!

2010-07-15 2:40 PM
in reply to: #2983367

User image

Pro
MA
Big Appa - 2010-07-15 2:53 PM

**Update**

So Sunday was our switch day and I was informed I was not going to get the kids till our court date on Tuesday. A bunch of drama happened but in the end the judge said she can’t keep the kids from me so I got them back Tuesday afternoon. A bunch of drama happened and my daughter told me my ex was heavily bad mouthing me. The reason she told me was because she did not agree with it and said some very grown up things for an 8 year old. I told my kids that I never want to bad mouth mommy and if I ever say anything bad or something they do not like to tell me right away so I can stop.

For the doctors appointment in the end she accepted my offer of her picking up from my place and I pick her up from the doctors.

We have another court date Aug 9th and the ex is trying to get my weekdays taken away during the summers and limit me from 3-4 days a week and every other weekend to 1 day a week and every other weekend during the school year. So now I’m now I’m trying to relax and prepare for court. Wish me luck

Does your daughter has any say to the court case? 
Has anyone interviewed her about how she feels about mommy and daddy? 
What would the judge do if you daughter tells them "mommy is always saying bad things about daddy, and I don't like it.  Daddy is not like that..."
2010-07-15 2:48 PM
in reply to: #2983510

User image

Champion
SoCal
D.K. - 2010-07-15 12:40 PMDoes your daughter has any say to the court case? 
Has anyone interviewed her about how she feels about mommy and daddy? 
What would the judge do if you daughter tells them "mommy is always saying bad things about daddy, and I don't like it.  Daddy is not like that..."

No they haven’t but they might depending how the judge looks at the case. The thing is I’m not trying to take time away from her, make the kids love me more, do any kind of that stuff. I just want my equal time to be with my kids. I’m going to have to fight to get it. I hope they can do it with out involving the kids. I know all of my ex’s concerns and I can address all of them but one so I really it will all be in the hands of the judge.

2010-07-16 9:24 AM
in reply to: #2983367

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
The sad thing is that our court system is geared toward screwing over the dads.

In my divorce with kid, we had already agreed on a week-on/week-off schedule with my daughter, and it was working quite well. That was before the actual divorce proceedings, while we were separated. Once the paperwork started flying, she decided she was going for full custody. A guardian ad litem was agreed on, and she did her investigation... And in her report, she says that there were no findings EITHER WAY as to whom was the better parent, and so... get this!... her recommendation was to go just a little beyond the "standard" of one day plus every other weekend!

Regardless of the already agreed on schedule, the guardian ad litem's going-in position was "one day plus every other weekend". I got totally screwed. And the legal system is completely geared toward "unless she's doing something aggregiously illegal, she gets everything".

I'd recommend checking into a local "dad's rights" organization.

2010-07-16 12:08 PM

User image

Expert
Tulsa

You guys are falling into something I have seen a lot.  You are making this Dr. Appt about you.  Isn't it your daughter that is going to get a filling.  How do you think she is going to feel knowing that her dr. appt caused this huge fight.  Why does it matter who takes her to the appt?  She is getting dental work done and she wants your ex to take her....You need to give in a little especially since it's what your daughter wants.

2010-07-16 12:41 PM
in reply to: #2984904

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
briderdt - 2010-07-16 10:24 AM

The sad thing is that our court system is geared toward screwing over the dads.

In my divorce with kid, we had already agreed on a week-on/week-off schedule with my daughter, and it was working quite well. That was before the actual divorce proceedings, while we were separated. Once the paperwork started flying, she decided she was going for full custody. A guardian ad litem was agreed on, and she did her investigation... And in her report, she says that there were no findings EITHER WAY as to whom was the better parent, and so... get this!... her recommendation was to go just a little beyond the "standard" of one day plus every other weekend!

Regardless of the already agreed on schedule, the guardian ad litem's going-in position was "one day plus every other weekend". I got totally screwed. And the legal system is completely geared toward "unless she's doing something aggregiously illegal, she gets everything".

I'd recommend checking into a local "dad's rights" organization.

Look at the Children's Rights Council in your area. They advocate on behalf of true joint parenting.
2010-07-16 3:08 PM
in reply to: #2985513

User image

Champion
SoCal
ballyard7 - 2010-07-16 10:08 AM

You guys are falling into something I have seen a lot.  You are making this Dr. Appt about you.  Isn't it your daughter that is going to get a filling.  How do you think she is going to feel knowing that her dr. appt caused this huge fight.  Why does it matter who takes her to the appt?  She is getting dental work done and she wants your ex to take her....You need to give in a little especially since it's what your daughter wants.

I think people are missing parts of my story
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » I need help checking my self. Co-parenting with the EX Rss Feed  

of 2