United States
Warsaw Breakfast Optimist Club
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 49m 26s
Overall Rank = 510/594
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 16/20
Pre-race routine:

I think I was fine with the pre-race routine. Some cereal before I left for the race at 5:15, and then a bottle of water on the way. I set up, did some warm up, and was ready way too early.
Event warmup:

Since this was supposed to be a training day for my 1/2 more than a race (had a 50 mile training ride the next day too), I went out and swam the swim course for a while to get in some open water swimming. I'm glad I did, there was a lot of seaweed.

We had a 30 minute weather delay, followed by an extra 15 minute delay, so I'm glad I did the extra swimming. I could have used more food. I didn't know my swim wave when I ate breakfast, so I actually started 28 minutes after the start (which was 45 minutes later than scheduled).
Swim
  • 08m 55s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim waves were every 4 minutes, and I was out in time to wish the pink wave "Good Luck", so I know my actual swim time was under 8 minutes. I just took forever to get to the transition mat. Have to keep reminding myself in hindsight that I really was trying to keep my heart rate down.
What would you do differently?:

Should have ran to the transition and then walked in transition.
Transition 1
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

I knew my transitions would be long, because I treated them like I'll be doing my half, so I went ahead and put on my bike shorts and my socks since I'll be on the bike four hours in that race. I wanted to see what problems I might have, and I may go ahead and wear tri shorts after all in the swim and bike. Although, taking an extra minute to put on good shorts seems worth it to be comfortable for almost four hours.

Ate most of a gel

Turn my computer on before the swim. I lost some data for the ride because the GPS wasn't ready.
Bike
  • 53m 42s
  • 13.5 miles
  • 15.08 mile/hr
Comments:

I have a hard time believing the 519 rank. I passed a lot more people than the other way around. Again, I was watching my heart rate and not pushing it that hard, but still.

(I didn't know there are more people with bike times than actual finishers because of the DNF and DQ people. I hadn't realized they're in the segment results)

I'm not going to worry about the drafting penalties next time. I saw some officials, and I know they issued some penalties, but if I drop back for everyone that barely passes me, I'll never go anywhere. Most of the people that passed me had no where to go once they went by, and that's the same reason I hadn't passed the person in front of me. Most of the race was solid bike after bike after bike. This was the most discouraging part of the race.
Transition 2
  • 02m 29s
Comments:

Finished the gel, put on running shoes, visor, sunglasses, and race number belt.

Add chapstick and gum for the 1/2, and possibly some Aquaphor in my pocket. If I have sand in my sports bra from Lake Erie, I should know it by this point.
Run
  • 41m 42s
  • 3.62 miles
  • 11m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I had some calf tightness for the first .75 mile or so. I had too many walking breaks in the first half because of it. I ran most of the second half, except for part of a long hill.

I'm not sure. I got off the bike after about 40 miles the next day, and I ran with no problem. I hadn't worked out much the week before the race, so that might have been part of it.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much. I wasn't overly tired or sore after the race or in the car on the way home either.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I had decided not to "race" and that was the hardest part, especially since I knew so many people at the race.

Event comments:

More, smaller swim waves so that the bikes are spread out more. Maybe even 5 minute waves instead of four.

Last updated: 2010-06-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:55 | 440 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 144/594
Performance: Average
Suit: Regular swim suit
Course: Out to the boat, around and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:40
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:53:42 | 13.5 miles | 15.08 mile/hr
Overall: 519/594
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Crowded. It was almost impossible to stay legal with all the people.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:29
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:41:42 | 03.62 miles | 11m 31s  min/mile
Overall: 534/594
Performance: Below average
Course: Huge hill near the end, then a short, steep downhill near the finish. The finish seemed further away than I expected - I think we looped around the town near the end more than I remembered.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes