General Discussion Triathlon Talk » rest day or recovery ride before race? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-09 10:55 AM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
Subject: rest day or recovery ride before race?
Sunday's Oly was originally going to be a "B" race but I did not taper at all b/c Louisville is too close and too important.  I have, however, rearranged my schedule to include a rest day on Saturday and race on Sunday w/o missing too much of long workouts.  

On to my question...I'd like to race hard.  Had I been able to taper I know I'm very capable of a strong PR but my legs are pretty toasted right now.  I tried to ride hard last night and had nothing in my legs to get it done and ended up with a pretty slow overall pace.  This morning I did a 1 hour run at a slow recovery run pace with some strides in the middle of the run.

Tomorrow, to best set up my Sunday race, am I better off just taking a total rest day (walking around the city with my family and friends) or would I be better off with a short / slow recovery ride?

If you think a ride is the way to go, please advise on duration and intensity.

2010-07-09 10:58 AM
in reply to: #2970814

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: rest day or recovery ride before race?
If you take Saturday off, you will have almost 48 hours of rest in your legs.  So you will essentially be taking 2 days off. 

If you don't believe me, do the math.  Finished at 8 am this morning and no training until 7-8 on Sunday.

Remember you said that IM KY is your real goal.  So, if it were me, I would go for an easy 2 hour ride.  No pacing goals, just go out and ride.  Plenty of active recovery and you get some good base in.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » rest day or recovery ride before race? Rss Feed