General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Iron Star HIM distance in Conroe Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-09 11:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: Iron Star HIM distance in Conroe

A few tri friends and I have picked Iron Star as our first HIM distance.  From the race reports, it seems like people have enjoyed the race.  Just wanted to check in and see what people thought about the race and if anyone has an need-to-know information.

The race website is not very informative and really doesn't want to discuss wetsuit or no wetsuit, but from past years, it looks like it has been wetsuit approved, which at least gives a good indication of future temps.  Does anyone know if it has ever been too warm?

Thanks,

Ellen

2010-07-09 11:24 AM
in reply to: #2970853

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: Iron Star HIM distance in Conroe
hi ellen.  here's a recent thread that might give you some idea.  ironstar is a really good race.  it was wetsuit legal last year but water temps were fine if you wanted to go without it.  "need to know info" i meant :-) ... get to the starting line healthy and enjoy the day.  congrats on signing up.

Edited by fattyfatfat 2010-07-09 11:49 AM
2010-07-11 5:13 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
When I did the race in 2004, wetsuits were not allowed, however they did give an exception if  you were OK with not placing.
2010-07-12 10:10 AM

I did it in 2008. It was wetsuit legal then. It was my first HIM and I had a blast. Lots of friendly people but the hotel where the race was had been vacant for about 10 years. They opened it back up the day before the race. My family and I got there the night before the race and it was a disaster. We had to wait in the lobby for at least an hour while they were getting our room ready. Finally when we got there, there were no beds in our room. The staff was running around the floor robbing everything out of other rooms to stock up ours. I was already very nervous about the next day but it all turned out fine. A few hills on the bike course though.

Greg
2010-07-12 2:26 PM

I did it 2007 and enjoyed it. I found it very well organized. So much so, that I went back in 2009, and I plan on hitting it again this year (to set a baseline for IM Texas training). The transition area moved, for the 2009 race, to that nice resort, which I can't remember the name of. The course is also somewhat spectator friendly. My wife saw me off at the swim start, out of the water, and drove the bike course to see me two more times. I think with a bit of planning, a run course view would be doable too, but has to take into consideration the road closures as the bike and run courses get back to transition.

Someone else who rides there often could give a better estimate of how much chip seal there is... maybe one third of the 56 bike miles? Nice rolling Texas hills for both the run and bike. Good volunteers. If your experience is like mine, then I'll think you'll have a good time.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Iron Star HIM distance in Conroe Rss Feed