General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Youngstown Central YMCA Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-09 10:05 PM

User image

Expert
Columbus
Subject: Youngstown Central YMCA Triathlon : Official Thread

Doubt anyone here is doing this but I am really excited.
I have had this planned for a year.  I placed second overall the past 2 years but this year wanted to do something with my family. 

It will be my 6 year old daughter Lily's first tri. My nephew Demar (15), Isaac, (9) and neice Alice (11) first tris

It will be my first team Tri ever.  My Brother and older sister are doing it with me.  My little sister was supposed to do it but has lost her motivation:  mom really wanted her to have a spark for getting healthy.  Mom was going to volunteer at the race.  But our mom passed away on June 25th.

For me and my other siblings we are more motivated to do it as a result.  Mom was really into going to every race she could go to for the past 30 years.  She herself ran marthons from 1995 - 2005 (PR 5:30 at about age 60).  

She has been a race volunteer at this race.  It is the Y where she was a member.  She was there as i passed by on the bike and on the run when i did it in 08.  She has seen me win races and seen me come in last.  She has seen me jubilant and she has seen me hospitalized at the finish.  She has always supported me regardless of time and place.  It will be an emotional day. 

(my little sister -morbidly obese now- was an excellent high school swimmer was to be our swimmer) she will be replaced by my older sister who has been a competitiive runner since the 70's.  She ran a 3:30 marathon in 08.  

My brother ( a high school swimmer who dabbled in running and biking) still swims semi regularly but has not competed in anything for over 20 years has said Mom has been encouraging him and warning him about the 2 hills for months.  He has said he wants to do it for her.  he is our biker -

Laurie will swim. Robin will Ride. I will run.  Karla will be our support.

Our fastest team would be my brother swimming, me biking, and my sister running BUT this race isn't about being the fastest.   

Edited by bruehoyt 2010-07-09 10:18 PM

2010-07-15 7:36 AM
in reply to: #2972094

User image

Expert
Columbus
Subject: RE: Youngstown Central YMCA Triathlon : Official Thread
Tuesday we went to a friend's house where Lily and and her friend decided to set up dangerous jumps on the second floor while the adults talked on the first floor.  I didn't know until I heard her scream.

As of Wednesday she is only able to put partial weight on her foot briefly.  

It appears as though her first Tri will be  a DNS.

We are both pretty sad about it. 
2010-07-15 3:40 PM
in reply to: #2982227

User image

Regular
Indiana
That stinks. I keep meaning to go back and do this tri, but it hasn't fit my schedule. I did a half- marathon last year that started and ended at the Central YMCA, and it kicked my butt. The first mile was up the hill and then over and up the hill past the YSU stadium. But, the Mill Creek park section was worth it.I hope your daughter ends up being OK!

Edited by swimmermama 2010-07-15 3:40 PM
2010-07-18 1:43 PM
in reply to: #2972094

User image

Expert
Columbus
Lily's foot healed to the point she could ride.  She could even walk / run with a limp.  There would be no such thing as a DNS/DNF for her.

She has the game face on as soon as she starts anything.  She rocked the swim and bike.  She actually ran about half of the run even though I told her she should just walk.  12:07 for 25 yd swim, 3/4 mile bike and 3/8 mile run.

I had an emotional run 18:15 for a 3 mile (not 3.11) run.

I will post a race report for my first Team Tri ever and give more details on the kid tri soon. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Youngstown Central YMCA Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed