United States
Team Evergreen
65F / 18C
Total Time = 9h 10m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up @ 4:00 to pack the car. So nice to only have to drive 10 minutes to the start for a change!
Event warmup:

No warmup needed. Found everyone and started the ride @ 5:40.
Bike
  • 9h 10m
  • 120 miles
  • 13.09 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a serious mental challenge for me. Felt good over Juniper Pass and up to Bakerville. The climb up to Loveland Basin absolutely sucked (being on I70, climbing forever into a headwind) even tho I drafted as much as possible. Mtn Dew, pb&j and checking in with everyone else helped me get started on Loveland Pass, altho I was ready to throw my bike in the sag wagon at the Basin. Almost to the top of Loveland Pass I decided to take pics and it took me 5 minutes to figure out the camera I've had for years -- lack of O2 or lack of consistent calories, don't know. I froze on each descent altho I thought I was dressed as warm as possible -- maybe wear the rain jacket next time to block all wind. Interesting descending at high speeds and trying not to shiver. It started raining again at Copper Mtn (this time it was a downpour) but I wanted to get to the top of Vail Pass before putting on rain gear -- figured I'd be soaked with rain or soaked with sweat, so I went with rain. At the top I was tempted to call the sag wagon again (lots of riders that looked a lot more experienced than me were calling it quits), but knew I'd never be able to wear the ride jersey w/o getting grief from Ellen so kept going. I put on surgical gloves, rubber jacket (total of 4 layers on top!) & nylon pants over my leg warmers for the descent -- still froze and my feet were numb (even tho they had baggies on). Luckily it stopped raining shortly after leaving the aid station. Sun was out in Vail and everyone who saw me pointed and commented on my rain gear overkill since they were in tank tops and shorts and it hadn't rained there. Finally thawed out by the end of the bike trail well past Vail. It was a long but fast flat ride to the finish in beautiful sunshine.
What would you do differently?:

Draft more (headwind the entire day), eat at every aid station, wear rain jacket on descents (or htfu), lose weight already!
Post race
Warm down:

Eat, lay in the grass in the sun, have a beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Apparently every 7# of (extra) weight is equivalent to 1% grade, so this ride was much steeper for me than it should have been! Also, this was my longest ride to date by 40 miles and 3000' of climbing.

Event comments:

The sheriff's departments and volunteers did a fantastic job on traffic control. There were crowds all along the route cheering -- felt like I was in the Tour de France!

At the end of the ride, I asked our group if registration was right now for next year, would you register? They all said yes! After a beer I was ready to register again too -- we ARE crazy.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-04-11 12:00 AM
Biking
09:10:00 | 120 miles | 13.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: Evergreen to Avon via Juniper Pass, Loveland Pass, Swan Mtn & Vail Pass. Over 10,000' of climbing. (http://www.teamevergreen.org/sites/default/files/TripleBypass2010RouteMap.pdf) Started @ 5:40, finished @ 4:15, estimated time stopped for eating, changing clothes, etc.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-07-11 8:19 AM

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
Subject: Triple By-Pass

2010-07-11 4:00 PM
in reply to: #2973267

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
Subject: RE: Triple By-Pass

Awesome Ride!!!  That it is an impressive amount of uphill!

2010-07-12 7:19 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Nice job.  If I had known you were ridding I would have looked for you.  I was SAGing for a friend.   Did get in a nice 40 miler in Breck/Summit county.  Got to ride Swan Mountain in reverse. 

Glad you had a good time.  It's a fun ride and something you can hang your hat on.

By the way, my buddy rode his mountain bike.  Finished in just over 9 hours.  Just crazy since he is 6'4 225 (just a big guy).

2010-07-12 10:03 AM

User image

Regular
Nashville, TN

Awesome ride Susan!  You should be very very proud.  Way to stick it out and keep going through the tough spots.  I'm sure the rain up to Vail Pass was miserable.  [I love that bike path though - it is so beautiful, especially in September when the Aspens are changing.]

Glad you're signed up for next year.  Now you'll know what to expect!

2010-07-12 10:11 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-07-16 10:38 PM

Veteran
Denver
You are my hero!  Awesome job.  Love the pics!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triple By-Pass Rss Feed