Muncie Endurathon
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 58m
Overall Rank = 359/664
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 31/54
Pre-race routine:

Arrived at race site about an hour and a half prior to my start time. Set up my transition area and lounged in a chair with Kathy and Tyler until about 20 minutes before my wave start. Visited the water closet and headed to my muster area for the swim start
Event warmup:

None - wanted to do a swim warm up but was afraid I'd be chilly after getting out as the air temp was in the low 70's
Swim
  • 40m 34s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went great, moved through traffic very well, sighting was good. Had a bit of struggle about 400 yards in due to congestion but more so because I didn't do a warm up swim. Without a warm up, I always go through a short phase where I go into oxygen debt for a minute or so and kinda get panicky. It always passes and a minute or so later I was fine.
What would you do differently?:

Executed swim portion exactly as planned. Just cruised it and exited the water feeling great. No changes here
Transition 1
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

Excellent T1 - The advice and practice sessions the week before paid off here. Had shoes already clipped in and banded to the bike. Given no wetsuits, I put my glasses and helmet on and was off. Had my feet strapped in and Garmin on and running with a couple hundred yards of the bike start.

No changes here
Bike
  • 2h 48m 19s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.96 mile/hr
Comments:

I put a moderate effort into the bike and much exceeded my goal of sub 3 hours. I was very pleased with my results here. It seemed like I had a slight headwind no matter what direction we were going. Probably just a reflection of my effort as this was definitely my best bike session ever.

No changes here
Transition 2
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

T2 went well once again. Had feet out of shoes about 100 yards out from dismount. Did a rolling dismount. Jogged to my rack position with the bike and probably spent more time putting on my socks than anything else.

No changes here.
Run
  • 2h 25m 45s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Although I could feel the bike effort here, my legs were ok. Temp was only about 84 but direct sun was very intense and I knew within the first mile I was eventually going to have hydration issues. Drank water at every mile and poured a little over my head. Made it to the turn-around in 1:03 pretty close to where I wanted to be, Tried to pick it up at the turn around but after about 3/4 mile I knew I was in for a long 6 miles. I was dehydrating and there was little I could do at that point. Although I kept drinking at every opportunity at 9.5 miles I had to walk for about a quarter mile or so. I bent over to stretch my legs and was amazed at how close I was to cramping. Started running again and it was pretty well one foot in front of the other to the finish line. Stopped sweating and actually felt chilly so I knew I was battling heat exhaustion. Took about 3 more very short walk breaks on the way in but I made it in tact.

Unsure at this point, maybe take electrolyte pills or find some strategy that will keep me hydrated for these long duration events. As my body weight has dropped, it seems I really have struggled to stayed hydrated.
Post race
Warm down:

None - parked my butt in a chair for about 15 minutes to get off my feet.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training in higher heat and lack of longer duration runs. Additionally, hydration strategy.

Event comments:

This was my first half. I had and overall goal of sub 6 hours. All the way to the run turn around I was on pace for a 5:35 finish. I gave back that time advantage on the last 6 miles of the run but still managed to meet my overall objective finishing at 5:58. I am very pleased and I learned a lot about myself and what it is like to compete in an event of this duration. I can't wait until the next one in September. I know what I need to be working on between now and then.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-01-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:34 | 2112 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/54
Overall: 184/664
Performance: Good
Published race result of 2:06 per/100 pace is very skewed as there is a very long run into transition. Was definitely swimming in the 1:45ish/100 range or better.
Suit: none
Course: Clockwise triangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:23
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:48:19 | 56 miles | 19.96 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/54
Overall: 394/664
Actual average per my Garmin was 19.5 mph which would be more accurate. Both Google and Garmin prove this course to be closer to 54.5 miles.
Wind: Little
Course: Considered a flat course however you are constantly climbing or descending very long shallow grades.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 100
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:25:45 | 13.1 miles | 11m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/54
Overall: 472/664
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back with continuous rolling hills. Nothing too steep or too long. Very little flat sections and probably a half mile of shade at best.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-11 2:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Newburgh, Indiana
Subject: Muncie Endurathon

2010-07-11 2:49 PM
in reply to: #2973640

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: RE: Muncie Endurathon
Hey, great job on hanging in there with the heat!  Glad to see you had a good race.  
2010-07-11 8:13 PM
in reply to: #2973640

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: Muncie Endurathon
Nice race! I would try the electrolyte tablets - it can't hurt. Someone told me that because I have low body fat, I would have a harder time holding onto salt. I never had a problem before, and ran marathons, but the heat this summer has been kicking my butt, so I've tried taking a few salt tabs and it seemed to help.

I did a few on the run at Muncie - nothing scientific, just popped one at aid stations when I thought of it.

I felt great and actually would feel thirstier, which made me drink more. It was interesting. It was my first race with them, and I felt like it helped. I've been training a bit in the heat, though, too, and insisted on no A/C the night before the race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Muncie Endurathon Rss Feed