76F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 10h 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Fruit smoothies and coffee at the farm
Arrived at registration at 9 - 1 hour before race time.
Event warmup:

Rode out the course and up the first hill past the bridge. Hit it pretty hard to get my hr elevated. Then just spun around the finish area to stay loose.
Bike
  • 1h 52m 9s
  • 38.48 miles
  • 20.59 mile/hr
Comments:

This was probably one of my top two races ever. I was with the main peleton for about 1/4 of the race. This is not a sanctioned race there from all the cats started together. Of course some of my hanging on came from the team tactics of lead Butt Racing. They sent two guys off the front from the start and controlled the peleton pace with the rest of the team.

The power of the pack was very evident with the first hill. I was cruising at about 23 - uphill - and not working hard (except to not run into the wheel in front of me).

When the hammer went down I ended up in a group of about 7-10 guys. We had kind of a paceline going but not very organized.

On a hill with me in the lead I unintentionally blew the group up. When I hit the top and looked back to drop off all I saw was three riders.

At that time the guy from Big Ring Flyers and I talked and got organized. We would stick together (the three of us) and rotate on 10 sec pulls. At this point we could still see the pack and had hopes of catching back on. Our third guy was a younger rookie.

Eventual we caught a few riders shucked from the pack and we told them to sit in the back and rest until they could begin pulling. Soon we were a group of 5 and working like clock work.

The only problem we had was the rookie. Every time he came to the front of the paceline instead of holding his pace he would amp it up a bit. I too had this issue when I first started pacelining.

On the flats it didn't hurt us too much but on the hills he was starting to bust the group up. So going up a longer hill, with Rookie behind me, I decided to pull to the top (probably the distance of about 4 different pulls). Big mistake. Almost to the top my buddy from Big Ring was yelling at me to pull off and I was cooked.

As I drifted back he told me he knew what I was up to but I was going to blow. He told me to sit in the back a couple of rotations.

Soon I was back to doing my job but I was certainly hurt by that pull - and the real hills were yet to come.

After the race I was talking to Big Ring Guy and he told me the way I was climbing early he thought I was going to be the climber of the group but that I was never the same after that one long pull. Back to the race.

With the hills coming up I told the guys that if and when I popped they should drop me. I would fight to the end but when I went I would be nothing but an anchor and I don't do that well.

I made two of the three big hills but on the third I popped. I was starting to cramp and I had ZERO zip left.

When I crested the hill I saw a sight I cold hardly believe - the guys had sat up and were waiting for me to catch back on! I thought about it briefly but they were about an 1/8 of a mile in front of me and I was totally spent so I waved them on. I was at mile 30 of 38 and averaging 21 mph.

At this point I dropped the pace to 18 and pounded some nutrition and electrolytes.

I was passed by a couple of older guys and I tired to jump on but couldn't.

On the last straight stretch before the finish there had been a huge wreck. When I went by I saw a guy on a back board. Later I found out it involved about 20 bikes and one of my teammates.

After the ambulance I kept looking back and I saw a fairly large group coming up behind me. I wanted to beat them in but they caught me at the bridge. I managed to jump on for about 500 yards but then the sprint to the finish took off. I managed tog et it up to 23 mph by the finish but they smoked me.
What would you do differently?:

More hill training and stick to the 10 sec rotation
Post race
Warm down:

Rode back out to the base of the first hill and said "Hell NO!" soft pedaled back to the car and got out of the shoes and the wet gear. Mr. Saddle sore was really screaming.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough hill repeats in my training. That will change.

Last updated: 2010-07-09 12:00 AM
Biking
01:52:09 | 38.48 miles | 20.59 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
HR ave 156 HR max 173 max mph 31.1
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling rural roads
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-11 8:41 PM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
Subject: Dairy Days 38 Bicycle Race

2010-07-12 5:34 AM
in reply to: #2974102

User image

Master
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Dairy Days 38 Bicycle Race
Good job! 

Sounds like you learned a lot in the experience and got to meet some good ride/race buddies too. 
2010-07-12 6:25 PM
in reply to: #2974102

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Subject: RE: Dairy Days 38 Bicycle Race
Nice work Biker stud!  Great day out there!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dairy Days 38 Bicycle Race Rss Feed