Muncie Endurathon
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 19m 8s
Overall Rank = 440/664
Age Group = F50-54
Age Group Rank = 11/17
Pre-race routine:

My nerves were shot on Friday with traveling in with the family, setting up camp (we camped at Prairie Creek)and just my general feelings of doubt when attempting something new. So I was out of sorts for starting this race. Maybe it was sitting around the campfire with BTers and campground neighbors, Alice and David that did it, but I slept surprisingly well. Woke up at 4:58, 2 minutes before the alarm was to go off. Ate my normal bagel with peanut butter, banana and yogurt with granola. Drank some water and gatorade
Event warmup:

Rode my bike from the campground to the race site. Set up transition and listened to the other women in my AG (since we were racked together) talk about how many Ironman's they've done. One qualified for and is going to Hawaii and another got an invitation to Germany. I'm thinking...ugh, what am I doing?...I'm so out of my league here. Finally some other women came who were doing this race just to celebrate life and the fact of being 50. OK, I can relate to those. Calmed down. Did my normal warm up and felt ready to try and see if I could tackle my first HIM.
Swim
  • 55m 8s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

The nerves really kicked in on Friday at the expo when I found out I was in the 3rd wave. WHAT? All the younger athletes were in the waves AFTER me? I was going to be swum over by a Mack truck! My fears were unfounded as I wasn't run over but I WAS passed by the green waves, then the orange waves and then the red waves. It was all good as they helped me sight better as they passed. The sun was in our eyes for sighting after rounding the 2nd bouy heading back to the beach and I was thankful for the 2 large blow-up things (I don't know what they're called) that I could see clearly flapping in the air. I enjoyed the swim so much but as usual, I'm SLOW!
What would you do differently?:

Learn how to swim FASTER! Sure wish we had a Masters swim at our Y but since we don't I need to get some help somewhere.
Transition 1
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

I was the 7th female overall in this category out of 158. Yay!

Nothing
Bike
  • 2h 53m 59s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.31 mile/hr
Comments:

Not in my wildest dreams would I have thought I'd do a sub 3 hour ride. Still don't know how that came to be. Felt great and just kept peddling. I started out too hard, though, and started fading at the end. I'd passed 4 of my AGrs heading out and 2 passed me back heading in. The course was well marked, the aid stations were plentiful and the volunteers great. I never practiced a water hand up on the bike, but I used one to get a gatorade around mile 37. No problem.

Hmmm. Can't complain about anything since my time was fantastic. Should have drunk a little more. Had plenty of water/gatorade on me but I was so focused, I forgot to drink as much as I should've.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

I was the 10th female overall on this one. Yay again!

Nothing.
Run
  • 2h 27m 9s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I was looking for the run to be my strongest event because I'd really been feeling so strong in training. But this is where not drinking enough and going too hard on the bike bit me in the butt. I ran the first mile and a half fine and then my body shut down. Thanks to Alice who, just the night before, told me of her experience with overheating. That's what I realized was happening. A huge thanks for the aid stations every mile with ice and cold towels. At mile 2 I poured ice and cold water down my body and kept some in my sports bra and walked/jogged until between miles 4 and 5 when I'd cooled enough to run again. I ran most of the remaining miles feeling good but I walked through every aid station getting more ice and keeping a fresh towel around my neck. The first 4o minutes of the run were brutal for me but the remaining hour and 45 were generally enjoyable. I finished feeling strong and crossed the finish line with a smile which was my ultimate goal.

Keep my body cool and make sure I remember to drink even when I don't feel like I need it.
Post race
Warm down:

Hugs from the hubby and kids! Baskin Robbins ice cream! Biked back to the campground and iced my calves, knees and toes (for some reason my toes were hurting - odd). Overall felt surprisingly good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My inexperience at this distance with pacing properly, my slow-as-a-turtle swim and my stretch of walking on the run.

Event comments:

Very well organized race. Loved that I got my results on a print-out minutes after finishing. It was nice to hear my name called on the loud speaker when I crossed the finish line. I plan on coming back to conquer the run.

Last updated: 2010-05-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:55:08 | 2112 yards | 02m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/17
Overall: 604/664
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Clockwise swim which was triangulated
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:14
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:53:59 | 56 miles | 19.31 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/17
Overall: 469/664
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Pretty much out and back with some rollers.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:27:09 | 13.1 miles | 11m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/17
Overall: 484/664
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back with some hills. Aid stations every mile.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-11 9:52 PM

User image

Subject: Muncie Endurathon

2010-07-12 8:55 AM
in reply to: #2974228

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: Muncie Endurathon
Awesome job Brenda!!! I can't believe how well you did in your first ever attempt at the distance! Wow!

I swim at the Y, too. Check and see if any of the lifeguards will do a couple hours of private lessons for you. We've done that at our Y, and it didn't cost any more than taking a class for a session.

It was awesome hanging out with you guys Friday night. Your kids are absolutely terrific and it was so nice not being on my feet playing catch with Michael for 2 hours the night before the race. Ryder took care of that!

Thanks for the camp site recommendation, too. That was great. We pulled out Sunday morning, heavy a few cucumbers, and got stuck in a terrible traffic jam around Richmond. Fatal accident. Highway CLOSED for more than an hour. But that's the beauty of an RV! Put on a movie for the kids, brushed the dog outside on the highway, etc. LOL!

Great meeting you!
2010-07-12 9:15 AM
in reply to: #2974228

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: RE: Muncie Endurathon
Great job!  You did really well!  Now get back to training!Smile JK! That is a really nice bike split!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Muncie Endurathon Rss Feed