Midwest Sports Events
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 7s
Overall Rank = 370/1199
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 4/28
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30 quick trip to Kwik Trip for my muffin only to find they had a "situation" going on. Knock off and they were combing the area for the perp. Off to Super America for my muffin and OJ. Ate half of it on the way to Pewaukee. As per usual, stomach wasn't in the mood for food so early in the morning. Set up transition, said hello to all the donks volunteering and participating. Nice job to KimK, Lunatick, Djdavey and schwimmycoach for getting us all ready.
Event warmup:

As luck would have it, Clint and I were racked right next to Jim Webs so we abber jawed with him, kyle P, rosshole, lrunfit and pretty much else anyone who was in the vicinity. Pasted my wetsuit on and went to the beach. Heard that Scott Schmeiser was there and found him on the beach as well. Beautiful morning for what would be a great race.
Swim
  • 09m 30s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my measurement race. Pewaukee was the first I had ever done 4 years ago. I haven't done much training so I wasn't going to get all caught up in comparing my results. Started in the back of my wave so I could control my destiny. Water dropped off pretty quickly so I was able to swim right away. Stayed to the inside and was able to SWIM. I had all sorts of room, I was extemely calm, was able to draft and actually breathe like I was in a pool. Second leg of the swim was a little more tough cuz the sun was right in our eyes. I made sure I was on course every 8th stroke, so that probably made me slow down a bit. Last leg was a little congested but I held my own. Felt great in the warm/clear water and was pleased to see that my watch read under 9 minutes when I got out of the water. OH, and looked over my shoulder to see my pal Jim right next to me.
What would you do differently?:

Perhaps I should swim more;) I really felt great on this one though.

2007 2:17/100 at least I am consistent
Transition 1
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

The run up the beach to T1 was short so I wasn't able to get my suit down my arms as quickly. I could hear my favorite coach in the back of my head telling me that I wasn't going to rip my suit since it was inside out so just whip it off. So I didn't worry about it. Thru my helmet on and grabbed my socks...peeked to my side while putting on my helmet to see Jim was drying his feet...heard my favorite coach in the back of my head telling me that my socks would dry my feet...so I just thru them on and into the shoes I went. Snapped my race belt on and grabbed my bike.....out of T1 I went

Not put on the race belt...may have saved me a couple of seconds.

2007 3:07 don't think I can compare though cuz my rack was much closer this year
Bike
  • 50m 47s
  • 15.5 miles
  • 18.31 mile/hr
Comments:

Again, not much for training on the bike this year (355 miles for the year so far) so I was just going to go out and give it my all. Had fun playing cat and mouse with number 448. She'd pass me on the uphills (shocker) and I would fly by her on the downhills. I actually got my speed up to 36 mph on one of them...that's way out of my comfort zone for sure. Eventually she lost me on the last big climb. Jim found me at about mile 7 and left me in the dust. I was trying to keep my eye on him but he disappeared around a bend after a....wait for it....HILL. I think I did better on the climbs than in the past and my average speed shows that. No dropped chains today...small victories get me thru the day. Flew into transition with the encouragement of bystanding donkey's.

Do I need to state the obvious?

2007 16.4mph Guess I have improved on that a bit....next goal avg 19mph
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

Bike rack was right inside of bike in so I was a bit shakey getting my running shoes on. Do I recall seeing Jim just leaving T2? I can't remember. Had a little trouble tying my shoes but got thru it. Heard favorite coach in the back of head reminding me to run with my visor and put it on during the run. Had to go quickly so I could find my carrot.

Invent lace locks/yanks that don't make my toes fall asleep and are loose enough to get my foot in the shoes, yet tight enough to give my foot the support it need.

2007 1:32 again...rack was way closer to bike in and run out this year so not much of a comparison
Run
  • 26m 57s
  • 3.15 miles
  • 08m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

I am very happy with my run. Especially since I couldn't really feel my legs for the first eighth of a mile. I really pushed it hard on the bike even tho I knew my run was the strongest suit. I eventually loosened up and started passing people left and right. I think I was only passed by members of the opposite sex. Gently encouraged a woman that walked with just under a mile left. She was a bit taller than I was and I thought to myself...what am I doing...I could be missing out on hardware if she beats me, assuming she was competing as Athena. Saw that she started two waves ahead of me, so no worries.

run hills more. I knew what this course was like, so I should have been doing hill repeats. Heck, I should've been doing more training.

2007 9:02 so, a slight improvement.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my initial results. I was in 2nd place so far. Talked a bunch with Jim (who finished about 4 minutes before me....guess the tide has turned as to who is whose Charles Benson now) and Ross. That dude cracks me up. Went to the grub tent and relaxed with some good food. The spread they put out is always nice at this race. Scott and Holly and his family joined us too. Always nice to see Team Scott. Clint went back to see if we held onto our hardware finishes....sadly I was eeked out by 9 seconds for third place. Read my blog for those thoughts. Went to awards to cheer on Lisa for her second place finish and Clint for his third. They received plates...interesting.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. I wanted to see how far I have come from the beginning but didn't really have the heart and soul to train this summer. With that said, I am extremely happy with this race. Clint and I were talking on the way to the race as to what time I could finish in. We both concluded that 1:30 was a bit of a stretch so when I saw my time after getting off the bike I had all the encouragement I needed to get me to that time.....pat pat pat on my back.

Event comments:

Great race, great people, great food, great fun.

Last updated: 2010-02-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:30 | 440 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/28
Overall: 0/1199
Performance: Good
Suit: 19 full
Course: clockwise rectangle. Tall weeds, but just below my reach.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:48
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:50:47 | 15.5 miles | 18.31 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/28
Wind: Little
Course: around Lake Pewaukee. Some nice hills in there for not so much fun climbing and for very fun zooming down.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:57 | 03.15 miles | 08m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/28
Course: Out to a nice steep hill, up to the high school, around the extremely hot parking lot, down some hills and into the finish shoot. Never did find Jim, but believe me, I was hunting for that carrot.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-12 8:36 AM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
Subject: Pewaukee Triathlon

2010-07-12 9:58 AM
in reply to: #2974614

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Subject: RE: Pewaukee Triathlon

Nice Race!!!

2010-07-12 11:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great job Penny!!!
2010-07-12 11:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Nicely done !
2010-07-12 1:08 PM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin

Awesome job Terri!!!

2010-07-12 3:55 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Great race, especially considering your amount of training. Good stuff, Terri!

2010-07-12 4:35 PM

User image

Expert
Waukesha, WI
I was excited to see you!  I am so glad that you had a good race.  It was the perfect day for it! (and I was 3rd not 2nd but we can go with 2nd .. )
2010-07-13 9:17 AM

User image

You rock girlfriend.....love your descriptions because i felt like i was there. Sounds super fun - Awesome job!
2010-07-13 10:26 AM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Awesome job Terri!!  It was so cool having you guys right next to me in transition and so much fun racing with you. Knowing you were on my tail had me pushing the gas for the whole race.

How about a re-match at Camp Whitcomb? Come on...you know you want to.
2010-07-15 9:08 AM

User image

Master
Chicago

Loved reading the race report....

AWESOME job out there Terri...and look at all that time you took off....NICE WORK!!!

2010-07-15 9:46 AM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, WI
Great report and great race!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pewaukee Triathlon Rss Feed