General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm torn Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-12 9:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago suburbs
Subject: I'm torn
So, I've been working on getting healthy for 18 months and have come a long way (down 130 lbs). I set myself a goal to run a 5k which I did in May. I finished in 41:38. I then decided that, instead of just more running, I wanted to look into tris and signed up for a mini Sprint 250/6.2 miles/2.1 miles in August. Training has been going well except my running speed is still terrible. So here's why im torn. With vacation schedule, etc it looks like i will not have many options to do a tri After the one in August. I see some options but one that stands out is a Sprint Tri the week before the one I'm already signed up for. I KNOW I can complete the distance but just not sure if it's too much to do a full Sprint first and a week later do a mini sprint. I would not have done this order had I mapped it out better in advance but I'm thinking I'll be disappointed if I only get one in this year. So, what do you think? My logs are current as of mid June when I joined the site and I've been consistent on bike and run at least since April. I'm a decent swimmer my whole life and have gotten several in (including one ows) and will get several more in the next few weeks. So, what say you? Go for it? Or too much too soon? Appreciate your thoughts.

2010-07-12 10:33 AM
in reply to: #2974825

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: RE: I'm torn
First off, congrats on your weight loss! That's awesome. Saw from your logs that you have been biking with your kids. You've done them a great favor by getting healthy so you can be active with them. 

As far as the tri goes, I guess it depends on your goals. If your goal is just to finish, then I say go for it. You are a decent swimmer, so you know you can safely finish the distance and it looks like you've biked a sprint distance several times so you know you are capable of that. If you are tired by the run, you can always walk parts of it.  

If you have certain goals or times in mind (like being able to s/b/r at a certain pace, etc) then you might want to hold off and wait until you have consistantly done double the distances in training.

Personally, I was happy with just finishing my 1st tri. I walked a lot during the run and was totally happy with that. Some people might not be though. So I guess you should decide what a good race is for you and go from there.
2010-07-12 4:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Edmonton, AB
I have to agree that if you just want to finish, then just go finish!  That's the best feeling in the world. 

2nd, if you're able to do the full sprint distance the weekend prior then you'll definitely be just fine doing the mini the following weekend. It might even be a nice recovery workout.  Your body will tell you though.

Good luck and more importantly...HAVE FUN.
2010-07-12 8:59 PM

User image

Congrats on the impressive weight loss and the incredible steps you've taken to improving your health. Would the old you of 18 months ago have ever imagined you would consider back to back triathlons? I say CELEBRATE your health and physical fitness by doing both tris!
2010-07-13 12:06 PM
in reply to: #2976661

User image

Veteran
Taylorsville Ut
KJ1965 - 2010-07-12 7:59 PM Congrats on the impressive weight loss and the incredible steps you've taken to improving your health. Would the old you of 18 months ago have ever imagined you would consider back to back triathlons? I say CELEBRATE your health and physical fitness by doing both tris!

x2  I second that statement.  There is nothing that can stop you now! I say go for it!
2010-07-13 12:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
Awesome job! My vote is for both. Pace yourself nice and easy the first one, soak everything in, enjoy it, learn from it. Then use what you picked up from that one to make the second race all the better!

I lost a bunch of weight before (100 pounds) and then while training for my first one (50 pounds), and I got so hooked that I ended up doing seven sprints my first summer. My second one was two weeks after my first one. I definitely could have done one the weekend after my first one.

Good luck and way to be an excellent example.

2010-07-13 12:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
P.S. Please don't worry about your perceived slowness. How many MPH are people going while sitting on a couch or playing video games?

Speed will come with continued weight loss, experience and fitness (that's how it's worked for me in the past and how I'm hoping it will work again, at least!).
2010-07-14 11:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago suburbs
Thank you all for the supportive and thoughtful responses. I'm going for it. Now just trying to decide between the Naperville Sprint Tri (1500+ participants) and the Lakeland Bi-Tri (~200 participants). I'll figure it out in the next few days.
2010-07-14 5:25 PM

New user
If you're looking in that area you should consider http://www.valpotri.net/

I've done it a couple of times and it's a great race.

I assume the mini sprint is the super sprint in Chicago?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm torn Rss Feed