Canada Running Series
22C / 72F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 58s
Overall Rank = 399/1514
Age Group = W40-44
Age Group Rank = 13/102
Pre-race routine:

Had smoothie, coffee, packed my bike bag.
Event warmup:

Biked 10 km down to the race site. Locked my bike up much nearer to the race start than last year - my bike was stolen last year, and that wasn't going to happen again! Checked my bag, grabbed some water. Tried to keep cool - it was getting hot.
Run
  • 1h 24m 58s
  • 16.1 kms
  • 05m 17s  min/km
Comments:

Started out great - sub 5 min first km. Just kept focusing on form and breathing. It was getting hot and there's so little shade on this course. They had a spray tent set up at about the half way mark, and that was awesome. First time I ever felt the need to pour water over my head.

I was running alone, and I admit I was a bit lonely at the beginning. When I was a much slower runner, I found the actual races to be more fun - you'd sort of jog along and chat with people. As you start running a bit faster, people are more focused and definitely not chatty!

At the 5 km mark I realized I'd PB'd my 5 km time. At the 8 km mark I realized I'd PB'd my 8 km time, same for the 10 km (not counting the Sporting Life 10 which is all down hill), and so I felt really positive about making my sub-1:25 goal. Last year, I did this race in 1:31, so I was really just wanting to do a bit better.

I spent the race thinking about a friend of mine who is battling some pretty serious health issues, and how happy she would be to just run 100 metres. I used her name as a mantra and sent her good health with every breath. It totally kept me focused on my breathing and gave me something other than the heat and the sun to think about.

After the race, a man asked me what I thought my pace was - I told him around 5:15 or so, and he said, "Great. I was pacing off you for about the last half of the race - you kept a nice steady pace." I WAS PACE BOOTY!!! Ha ha. Actually, he was a lovely gentleman, and would never have characterized his pacing off me as that! I asked him - rudely - how old he was and he told me 66 and a half. It turns out he won his age group! I totally take responsibility for that... ;-) I convinced him that at his fitness level and ability he could train for a marathon and totally qualify for Boston. I hope he does it!

I got my medal and some fruit, claimed my bag at the uber-efficient baggage check - truly the best baggage claim at any race, hopped on my bike, which thankfully was where I left it, and headed home.

I think that the Canada Running Series is an amazing organization and always put on a great race. Not having to deal with timing chips is really awesome (they were on the bibs). The only thing that made me sad was the fact that they weren't allowed to play music before 9 a.m., so the race started in kind of a weird silence...too bad.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Pretty pleased. I really want to figure out how some of those really fast women in my AG pull off those times. A sub 4:30 pace over 16 km would be amazing...but how?
Post race
Warm down:

Biked home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This is the first year where I've actually pushed myself to run faster and to actually "race". I need to completely stop the negative self-talk and feel more confident that this is becoming my sport.

Event comments:

Love this race. Everyone should do it. Great way to gauge your training mid-season.

Last updated: 2010-02-04 12:00 AM
Running
01:24:58 | 16.1 kms | 05m 17s  min/km
Age Group: 13/102
Overall: 399/1514
Performance: Good
Course: Flat, down the Leslie Spit, not much shade.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-12 10:19 AM

User image

Regular
Toronto
Subject: Acura Toronto 10-Miler and 5k

2010-07-12 3:43 PM
in reply to: #2974909

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Subject: RE: Acura Toronto 10-Miler and 5k

Awesome PR Pamela!!  It is such a great feeling.  Great job!!

BTW, it's kinda nice to be someone's pace booty. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Acura Toronto 10-Miler and 5k Rss Feed