General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calf Injury (not all bad news) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-12 10:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Calf Injury (not all bad news)

Well the good new first:

This past Saturday I was 1st place in my age group 50-54 and 40th out of 412 overall in a sprint distance Triathlon at Rancho Seco Park in California.   Later this week, I will post the full race report which will provide the exciting details of the event.

The Bad news:

In preparation for my a upcoming race, I added some hill work and some longer but slower runs to my workouts as well as much longer open water swims.  However I did not significantly increase my overall monthly average in terms of miles.  I just tried to mix it up a little.

About a week and a half ago, I was on a run with my Marathon buddy and we were going pretty slow (8:01 MPM  pace) as I was tired from a hard training week and it was very hot outside.  Towards the end of our run, in a matter of about 100 feet or so, both of my calves started to tighten up (cramp) but I was able to run through it for the next ½ mile or so.  After I stopped running, I was in significant pain which caused me to limp back ¼ mile to the car.  When I got home I climbed into an ice bath for 15 minutes twice, separated by about an hour.  I took ice baths for the next three days and did not run at all for a full week.  Two days before my race I still felt some stiffness in my calves but more like a good workout type of thing.  I took a very easy jog and felt good.

The morning of my race I stretched out and did my usual pre race routine.  During the race, my swim went exactly as planned, my bike was a tenth slower (average MPH) than my plan and I felt really good when I rolled into T-2.  I started my run at my planned 7:30 MPM pace for the first 1/8th mile with an intention to ramp up to a 7:00 MPM pace for the balance of the run.  At about ¼ mile, just after speeding up,  I felt a fairly sudden cramp in my left calf which made it very difficult to run.  I adjusted my speed to 8:00 which is as fast as I could possibly do and continued for the balance of the run which was 3 miles total on a hilly course.  During the run, the pain varied from what I would characterize as extreme to really bad and back to extreme.  Stopping was absolutely not an option as I felt pretty certain I was leading my age group by about a minute and change.

After the race I was nearly crippled with pain and had great difficulty walking.  A physical therapist rubbed out my calf for about twenty minutes.  I then used ice and ibuprophen and beer to manage the pain.  The next day I was still very stiff but was walking better and after moving around assisting my children with their race, I began to loosen up and feel much better but not totally healed by any means. 

I have noticed that when I sit or am not active for a while my calf tightens up.  After moving around I get loose and feel better.

Anyway, what kind of advice does anyone have for me regarding this problem?

Edited by MKAH 2010-07-12 10:24 AM

2010-07-12 10:27 AM
in reply to: #2974912

Subject: RE: Calf Injury (not all bad news)
It sounds like you have what I have- calf strain. I posted in the Health section and I have been to the PT three times over the past week and my feet haven't been in my running shoes since it happened. My scenario was similar to yours- started as a cramp and turned into severe pain, but mine was localized to just one leg.I saw my Ortho immediately and started PT two days after inury. I also ice and stretch throughout the day.Good luck!
2010-07-12 11:10 AM

User image

NH
2010-07-12 6:49 PM
in reply to: #2975080

User image

Extreme Veteran
wbayek - 2010-07-12 9:10 AM This site

Thank you, this looks like an interesting website.
2010-07-12 9:07 PM

User image

Pro
Firstly- this doesn't sound too bad.  It's just a muscle strain due to overuse and it will heal.  Depending on how badly- it will heal in a few days or a few weeks.  I've done this a few times in various amounts of severity.  

Some advice:   (from the PT, fitness staff and Exercise Physiologists at Canyon Ranch)
Careful with the ice baths.  They're good at reducing blood flow, inflammation and pain.  Fine initially right after the injury, but now you need blood flow for it to heal.  The new mantra is 'active recovery'.

As your calf is healing- keep it warm, moving and stretch it regularly. You don't want it to stitch itself back together all knotted up.  Massage will be great for it.  If it feels ok to walk... then walk.  If it feels OK to cycle... then cycle.  Stretch in a hot tub while doing toe dips on the steps.   Use it as much as your body will allow.  Your calf will tell you if you're hurting it (and listen to it).  Go easy on it of course... it's injured.  but keep it moving.

It will heal just fine. 
2010-07-15 12:23 AM
in reply to: #2974942

User image

Extreme Veteran
SpeedAgent - 2010-07-12 8:27 AM It sounds like you have what I have- calf strain. I posted in the Health section and I have been to the PT three times over the past week and my feet haven't been in my running shoes since it happened. My scenario was similar to yours- started as a cramp and turned into severe pain, but mine was localized to just one leg.I saw my Ortho immediately and started PT two days after inury. I also ice and stretch throughout the day.Good luck!

Thanks Chris, I have been following your advice and it is working.

Mark

2010-07-15 8:06 AM

User image

West Georgia
I had a calf strain last year that put me out of running for 4  months. I had been doing speed work when it happened. Then later I ran a 10 mile long run and every time my foot hit the ground it felt like an ice pick was going into my calf. I took a couple days off and tried again, same result. I ran off and on for a couple of weeks before deciding I needed some time off. It took 4 months for the pain to go away. 

This incident caused me to become a Triathlete. I started biking to keep my fitness and decided what the hell why not swim too. I figured I was a decent runner. Low 19 - high 18 5k and low 40 m in 10k times, I figured if I could keep my running at that speed and learn to bike and swim I would be a better triathlete than I was a runner.  
2010-07-16 3:04 PM
in reply to: #2982291

User image

Extreme Veteran
gr8gorilla - 2010-07-15 6:06 AM I had a calf strain last year that put me out of running for 4  months. I had been doing speed work when it happened. Then later I ran a 10 mile long run and every time my foot hit the ground it felt like an ice pick was going into my calf. I took a couple days off and tried again, same result. I ran off and on for a couple of weeks before deciding I needed some time off. It took 4 months for the pain to go away.

This incident caused me to become a Triathlete. I started biking to keep my fitness and decided what the hell why not swim too. I figured I was a decent runner. Low 19 - high 18 5k and low 40 m in 10k times, I figured if I could keep my running at that speed and learn to bike and swim I would be a better triathlete than I was a runner.  

Thanks Shaun, I appreciate your comments.  Like you, I am biking and swimming with no problems.    I plan on doing a 4 miler today at 9:30 MPM just to see what happens.  (fingers crossed)

BTW, back in 1983 I spent a year at Fort Benning Geogia training at the Ranger training facility.  "Rangers all the way"  Huuah!

Edited by MKAH 2010-07-16 3:05 PM
2010-07-16 3:45 PM
in reply to: #2982291

User image

Chicago, IL
gr8gorilla - 2010-07-15 8:06 AM I had a calf strain last year that put me out of running for 4  months. I had been doing speed work when it happened. Then later I ran a 10 mile long run and every time my foot hit the ground it felt like an ice pick was going into my calf. I took a couple days off and tried again, same result. I ran off and on for a couple of weeks before deciding I needed some time off. It took 4 months for the pain to go away. 

Same with me., injury and all. Take it real easy when you're finally able to run again, but depending on the severity, they do tend to heal quickly. Get well soon!
2010-07-17 6:20 PM
in reply to: #2986146

User image

Extreme Veteran
jwtaylo - 2010-07-16 1:45 PM
gr8gorilla - 2010-07-15 8:06 AM I had a calf strain last year that put me out of running for 4  months. I had been doing speed work when it happened. Then later I ran a 10 mile long run and every time my foot hit the ground it felt like an ice pick was going into my calf. I took a couple days off and tried again, same result. I ran off and on for a couple of weeks before deciding I needed some time off. It took 4 months for the pain to go away. 

Same with me., injury and all. Take it real easy when you're finally able to run again, but depending on the severity, they do tend to heal quickly. Get well soon!

Thanks Jim
2010-07-17 8:35 PM

User image

New Hampshire
You should try Graston technique.  I had the same exact problem you describe in my right calf.  I tried traditional PT for 3 months with no results.  A friend mentioned ART (Active Release Therapy) so I found a local ART therapist.  He recommended Graston - it's the same concept as ART except tools are employed to break up the scar tissue.  It's slightly uncomfortable but I swear by the results.

I went from chronic pain in both my right calf and hamstring on/off for > 1 year to being able to train/race regularly again with no pain. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calf Injury (not all bad news) Rss Feed