United States
HFP Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 49m 7s
Overall Rank = 317/363
Age Group = XL3
Age Group Rank = 4/6
Pre-race routine:

Bagel and banana about 2 hours before start. Balance bar 1 hour before start. Lots of water. Walked the transition area and from the beach up to make sure I could find my way without my glasses on.
Event warmup:

Walked around briskly, some light stretching/warm up. Short swim out and back to the first corner buoy.
Swim
  • 13m 42s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

Not too many bumps and bruises, but got ran over on the turns a bit. Cut every buoy and corner very close.

I must have swam pretty hard, since I was still breathing very heavily 1 mile into the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Try to stay about 5-10 feet off the buoys so there is a little more room on the turns.

Take my time on the start so I'm not standing behind someone waiting for them to start swimming.
Transition 1
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

Transition went fast, until I realized I forgot to tie my shorts, which would have made the bike very difficult. I didn't stop to tie them until outside T1 though, so the time is added to the bike.

I might skip the extra shorts next time, or tie them ahead of time and slip them on that way. Modesty seems irrelevant in a triathlon anyway.
Bike
  • 53m 18s
  • 14 miles
  • 15.76 mile/hr
Comments:

Really wish I had a road bike. Some difficulty getting the bike to change gears when on the big ring up front, but otherwise no equipment problems.

Probably should have forced myself to drink more the first half of the bike, since I felt thirsty near the end of the bike and beginning of the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

T2 was very fast, since I run and bike in the same shoes, although there were some lollygaggers standing right where I needed to rack my bike. Dropped the helmet, grabbed my hat and took off running.
Run
  • 38m 25s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Was thirsty at the beginning of the run, but walked through each aid station to get water and then started running again. The course was rough on my feet and ankles, a lot of uneven surfaces and odd foot strikes. First mile was 11:00 minutes, which is VERY fast for me. Slowed down from there though.

Try to pace better so I don't run out of steam in the middle of the run. Hydrate better on the bike so I don't have to drink so much on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, drank, ate, cheered on friends still racing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inexperience. I probably could have pushed harder on the bike and on the second half of the run. Also felt like I slowed down in the middle of the swim.

Event comments:

I had a great first triathlon, everyone was very helpful with any questions, and supportive along the route. I've trained pretty hard leading up to the race, but inexperienced bikers might have had a hard time on the bicycle course given the difficult hills.

Last updated: 2010-07-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:42 | 750 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/363
Performance: Good
Suit: Aero Tech Designs Triathlon Shorts
Course: Rectangle swim along the beach. Water felt very warm and was getting almost too warm near the far turn.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:32
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:53:18 | 14 miles | 15.76 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Started uphill along park roads, and then some good steep rolling hills. Some pretty high top speeds on the downhills, and there were two or three uphills that were killer, but not too long.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:38:25 | 03.1 miles | 12m 23s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Uphill at the beginning on a dirt road through the woods and then out in the open across an old dam on a gravel road.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-12 12:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Springfield, OH
Subject: Caesar Creek Sprint Triathlon

2010-07-12 12:11 PM
in reply to: #2975302

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Subject: RE: Caesar Creek Sprint Triathlon
Congrats on finishing your first Tri and welcome to BT!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Caesar Creek Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed