Musselman Triathlon
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 14m 22s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 23/55
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 4. Got some bf of 2eggs,toast,banana. Drove to Geneva. I worked the night before but still felt rested and good. Got to race site,body marked,picked up chip,set up transition. Lots of room in transition, so could really spread out. Goodbye's to the family and waited for my group to be called for the swim. Felt really calm at a ease. This was my second mussel and since then I did a couple of IM"s so I'm better at being calm before races
Event warmup:

Warmed up a bit in the lake. It felt warm.
Swim
  • 37h 15m
  • 2112 yards
  • 1h 45m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim felt good. Of course a lot though. My preffered breathing side is right and of course the buoys are alway on the left. I need to practice bilateral breathing. I have in the past but I get lazy and go to my prefered side. Problably could have shave off 2-3mins off if i did. Better then in 06 though which was 44min. I will take 37. Swim into the canal was gross. It was really warm there, problably around 80 and lots of boats docked so smell of gas was pungent. Only place I got hit too on the head by same swimmer. Got mad at him but let it go , long day and need good karma my way
What would you do differently?:

Navigate better so I would swim shorter and be able to draft.
Transition 1
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

Good T1 for me. Wetsuit came off easy. I love my 2xU !! Just had shoes,socks to put on and aero helmet,sunglasses. Ran with the bike. So many people we're walking with the bike. I was surprised. Free speed . Got to run with it.

Nothing
Bike
  • 3h 09m 43s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.71 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm a power athlete so my TSS goal was .80 of my FTP. I had to be careful of the first 30min and hills. To not go above .85 on hills and take the first 30 in zone 2. Overall I did that. Looking back at my data today, I biked a bit too easy. It never felt hard either. My race wheels/aero helmet gave me nice speed. My power could have been better. I had a .74 TSS. I'm sure I can break 3 hrs in this race. The hills we're fine. I didn't go above my set #'s and spin them. Road is really rough at some points though. There is a 5mile route through a park which is not paved and kind of rough. It's hard to pass and I was worried abouts flats especially that i have tubulars. My mistake on the bike was nutrition. I had 3 bottles of Infinit totals of 160calories each. My plan was also to get a gel at hr 2:30 on the bike. I had only 2 bottles and no gel. I was worried about stomach distress, and thought I would be fine without gel. It bit me on the run. I know better too. Sodium was good though. about 800mg/hr

Go harder, stick to .80TSS. Drink all 3 bottles. get that gel in
Transition 2
  • 03m 2s
Comments:

I lost time here. I don't know why really. there is no reason why i should be slower in T2 then T1 ! Fumble with my running shoes a bit. Took off my socks when I was keeping my socks ! Silly rookie mistakes ! But i'm not a rookie ! Did not turn on the garmin till 2min in transition. Another mistake that bit me in the run.

focus more, get it done faster
Run
  • 2h 21m 46s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where I lost time. This is where I lost my goal ( >3:00 HIM). Mistake #1. Not having the garmin locate sattelite in T2. It took one mile before it did. I was running blind and too fast Mistake#2. Going too fast the first 3mile. In my head it felt easy so it was ok to do.Bad idea. I was running 9;30,9:00. Mistake#3. Nutrition. I didn't wasnt to take in anything before mile 5 of the run. Since I was under calorie from the bike and I didn't take that gel I was runninig on empty. I could not maintain my pace. I ran and only walk aid stations but not at all at a pace I could have. I started to feel better with the added calories after mile 5 but it wasn't until mile 10 that it really felt better.

Not go so fast the first 3miles, nutrition !! I know better and will stick to my plan next time
Post race
Warm down:

cold soak, massage. The food was mediocre. Just had fruit, nut bar i brought. Cool swag though. Nice medal.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition. Overall took in only 600 calories , so less then 100 calories/hr. Weather was hot but had right amount of sodium. No reason really that I could have gone faster on the bike. Too conservative there. I could have broken 3 pretty easily if I stuck to my .80tss. I'm still happy with this race. It is a PR for me. 06:6:49, 10:6:14. I want to break 6 and I do think I can especially in this race

Event comments:

Great race. There is part of the bike course I don't like. The 5 mile gravel section is too long, dangerous for flatting and hard to pass. I understand the course is designed so we don't have to go through busy intersections but still like the 06 bike course better.

Last updated: 2010-07-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
37:15:00 | 2112 yards | 1h 45m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 20/55
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: 2XU Velocity
Course: Triangle then straight into canak
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:17
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:09:43 | 56 miles | 17.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 22/55
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Rough  Cadence: 94
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:02
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:21:46 | 13.1 miles | 10m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/55
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-12 1:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon

2010-07-13 10:15 PM
in reply to: #2975562

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: RE: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon
Nice job out there.  Hot is an understatement. 
2010-07-15 2:31 PM
in reply to: #2975562

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon

Nice race!! 

I have mixed opinions on the bike course, I think that section is tough to ride too, but I have actually seen more flats up on 96 then through the park.  Of course if the state had any money and could put down a nice layer of blacktop, that would be sweet!!

Great job!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon Rss Feed