General Discussion Triathlon Talk » looking for swim coach in Western MA Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-12 1:35 PM

Subject: looking for swim coach in Western MA
Hi everyone
I am looking for help with my swimming. I haven't been able to find a good swim coach for swimming and figured I'd throw up a post and see if anyone here knows of anyone in Western MA. I'm from Westfield but I can travel for lessons. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Jon Adams

2010-07-14 8:14 AM
in reply to: #2975609

User image

Boston, MA
Subject: RE: looking for swim coach in Western MA
Are you looking for:

a. Lessons in Basic Swimming Technique for Adults
b. A Masters Swim team to practice and train with
c. A independent training partner to train with

And what's your definition of a good swim coach for swimming?

I have some contacts out there, I just need the specifics.

2010-07-14 9:20 AM
in reply to: #2979617

User image

Extreme Veteran
Worcester, MA
We are looking for someone in the middle of the state, too.  - Worcester, area, etc. 
2010-07-14 9:26 AM

User image

Boston, MA
Okay, I run in those circles too... What sort of training are you looking to do? See above post....
2010-07-14 10:25 AM
in reply to: #2979617

I need basic swim lessons for an adult..i did my first sprint in June and crawled thru the swim...I am fairly comfortable in the water but my form is probably awefull and I need some help with rotary breathing and finding exercises and drills to get that together. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Jon
2010-07-14 10:40 AM

User image

Boston, MA
You said you were having trouble finding a swim coach.... Have you already tried the Westfield YMCA for adult swim lessons? The AD there also coaches a Masters Team that practices at Westfield State.

I'd suggest a combination of an advanced adult swim lesson, or private tutoring for technique, and join a Masters team to practice and get some yardage with a coach in a pool. Finding that stroke balance and rotary breathing control in a pool environment is the best place to start.

Western New England College had a Masters Team, as well as Longmeadow High School/Longmeadow JCC... Google around or....

You can search for Masters workout groups by town here for contact info:
http://www.swimnem.org/pools/workoutgroups.html

Or see all the active workout groups to search by name or abbreviation here:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pPLXArUmaaE29GlhIGYF5dw

2010-07-14 12:38 PM

Thanks for the info
I will check the YMCA. I have a pool to swim in so I was hoping to avoid a Y membership but I may need it for the winter anyways.
J
2010-07-14 1:32 PM

User image

Boston, MA
You might be able to sign up for the classes without getting a membership. That's sometimes an option...
2010-07-14 2:36 PM

Another option for swimming lessons is Wilderness Experiences/Westfield Water Sports (http://weu.com/)
They have a few different people who do lessons.  Adults do private lessons. 
We were trying to take lessons at the Y in Westfield but they didn't seem very organized and it was impossible to get times set up for actually doing the lesson. 
2010-07-16 7:26 AM

Gonna try Westfield Water Sports..I drive by the place all the time and I never realized they had an indoor pool..checked their site and they do have lessons..a bit pricey but I'm sure that includes pool fees. Thanks for everyone's info...I've been getting discouraged trying to figure out swimming on my own and I need the motivation from learning the proper way and seeing results
jon
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » looking for swim coach in Western MA Rss Feed