General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New bike question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-12 3:24 PM

New user

Subject: New bike question
My BF is looking for a new bike.  At this point he does not plan on racing, but may in the future.  He is mostly looking for something to go on training rides with me.  Our local bike shop is pretty picked over.  The only one left in his size is this one
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=45856&eid=4352&menuItemId=0

A bike shop a few hours away has this bike
http://www.sportwheels.ca/products/2010-devinci-silverstone-sl1

We really wanted the Giant Defy, but they seem to be sold out.

Any thoughts on which one to choose?

2010-07-13 3:45 AM
in reply to: #2975916

Subject: RE: New bike question

The Specialized is a pretty nice bike and will work perfectly for what you describe.  Probably nothing wrong with the Devinci, but a major brand from a LBS is usually a pretty safe bet.  It will also sell easier should he decide to upgrade at some point.

I'll add one more thing...this is around the end of the bike model year, so new stuff should be arriving shortly.

Edited by rexcoltrain 2010-07-13 3:46 AM
2010-07-13 3:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
That Giant defy with the 105 components looks like a pretty sweet ride compared to the others.  However, if you're looking at the Giant defy 3 with the Shimano 2300 components I would say get the Specialized, the components are identical and it's available locally.  Specialized makes some great bikes and he certainly won't be disappointed.

Edited by outdoorWI 2010-07-13 3:15 PM
2010-07-13 3:41 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region
I think the Specialized is a safer bet.  I always think of resale, especially when your are fairly new and a known brand (not that Giant is an 'unknown' but definitely not as visible as Specialized) will be easier to sell.

If he's racing, the usual 'minimum' components that are considered race-level is the Shimano 105 or better.

Another option is a used bike. Most bikes depreciate quite a bit and if he's just planning on using it for training rides, then as long as it fits him and is a road bike, he'll be fine.  That way, once he figures out whether he's into the sport and understands the desired characteristics of a bike he wants, he won't have too much money in this one.

I started cycling in February and bought a used Scott Speedster S2 (2005 model).  I didn't know whether I'd like cycling so I spent about $500 (got  a great deal). I figure I can sell it for that price if it didn't work out, worst case about a hundred less.   This is for a bike that probably cost somewhere north of $1500 brand new. Well, I got hooked and after 3 months, I ended up buying a brand new bike that I really liked that was a lot more expensive (which I plan on keeping forever).  Honestly though - while the new bike is about 3 lbs lighter, has carbon wheels, etc - I am pretty close to the same speed in both of them, at least in the rides that I use them in.
2010-07-13 3:41 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region
I think the Specialized is a safer bet.  I always think of resale, especially when your are fairly new and a known brand (not that Giant is an 'unknown' but definitely not as visible as Specialized) will be easier to sell.

If he's racing, the usual 'minimum' components that are considered race-level is the Shimano 105 or better.

Another option is a used bike. Most bikes depreciate quite a bit and if he's just planning on using it for training rides, then as long as it fits him and is a road bike, he'll be fine.  That way, once he figures out whether he's into the sport and understands the desired characteristics of a bike he wants, he won't have too much money in this one.

I started cycling in February and bought a used Scott Speedster S2 (2005 model).  I didn't know whether I'd like cycling so I spent about $500 (got  a great deal). I figure I can sell it for that price if it didn't work out, worst case about a hundred less.   This is for a bike that probably cost somewhere north of $1500 brand new. Well, I got hooked and after 3 months, I ended up buying a brand new bike that I really liked that was a lot more expensive (which I plan on keeping forever).  Honestly though - while the new bike is about 3 lbs lighter, has carbon wheels, etc - I am pretty close to the same speed in both of them, at least in the rides that I use them in.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New bike question Rss Feed