General Discussion Race Reports! » Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kure Beach, North Carolina
United States
Setup, Inc.
91F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 58s
Overall Rank = 166/298
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 20/29
Pre-race routine:

Arrived Saturday and picked up race packet at two wheeler dealer. Went to Flaming Amy's bowl for dinner. Went to hotel but could not check in due to the hotel being robbed. We had to drive around and wait for the sheriff office to finish the investigation and clear the crime scene. We finally checked in and brought our things up to the room. We got everything ready for the race and went to bed. The following morning I ate a banana for breakfast with a couple cups of coffee. We loaded our stuff and headed the 15 minutes to the race. Parking was easy. Walked bikes to the transition area. We set up the bike TA and walked to the beach where we set up our run swim TA.
Event warmup:

None, didnt stretch. Event started with a swim so I guess thats when I warmed up.
Swim
  • 21m 51s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

The first swim went great. Was able to sight well and had no goggle issues. The second swim time was horrible. My goggles would not seal and they kept filling with sea water. I had to keep stopping and let the water out of them. I felt a little queasy because of the salt water I accidentally swallowed. I was sure glad to see the shore after that swim.
What would you do differently?:

I cant run in the deep sand so I had to walk to the second swim start. Later I found that others went down to the shore where they could run and ran to the second swim start. Other than that I dont think I could do anything different. Had below average because of the second swim.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

There were no T times. T1 was included in the first swim. After you exited t1 you stepped on the mat and that started run 1. Run 1 ended as we exited the bike exit transition (t2).
Bike
  • 33m 30s
  • 12 miles
  • 21.49 mile/hr
Comments:

Rode Big Red for the first time in a race. He did pretty good. I have never averaged 20mph in a race before. Yea yea yea I know it was a flat course but who cares. Why am I talking to myself. I must be bored to death.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

During the bike I felt my calf start to give. I thought that injury was gone. I started to use only my right foot for the pedaling, but just sucked it up and went all out. After the bike ended I stepped on the mat to end bike and start run 2. I the had to rack the bake and put running shoes back on.
Run
  • 26m 39s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Was hot as could be. It was white lake half #2 hot. Good thing the run was short. My calf didnt hurt during the run. So was it a cramp or my microtear?

Post race
Warm down:

Almost died because of the heat and sick feeling from the salt water. After many waters and a sprite I felt a little better. After our sandwitch I felt great again.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat.

Last updated: 2010-03-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:51 | 820 yards | 02m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 20/29
Overall: 29/298
Performance: Below average
Suit: tri shorts and singlet
Course: Swim out to bouey and come around it from the right, swimming with the current past a second bouey. Continue to the third bouey and circle from the right counterclockwise and swim to the shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:33:30 | 12 miles | 21.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/29
Overall: 122/298
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: course was a 2 loop out and back. It was very flat and fast. The tailwind was on the way out with a headwind on the way back, x2.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:39 | 03 miles | 08m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/29
Overall: 0/298
Performance: Average
12:19 and 14:20
Course: 1.5 miles from swim to bike transition and then 1.5 miles from bike transition back to the beach.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes