General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Injury cramping my training style Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-12 9:11 PM

User image

Subject: Injury cramping my training style
I had a very minor bike wreck on Friday - forgot to unclip my left foot and tipped over (idiot move). Except for a bit of road rash I thought I was fine, in fact, I went on to bike 10 more miles. Through the weekend, I started noticing increasing pain in my right chest and upper back. The pain kept me up last night and I finally went to the doctor after work today. Diagnosis - after x-rays to rule out a cracked rib - is a pulled muscle. Doctor estimated 2-4 weeks until I'm feeling better.

I'm just figuring out how to be an "athlete" - now I'm trying to figure out how to handle this setback. My doctor suggested limiting my workouts to easy walking for at least a week, then to ease back into riding and swimming based on how I feel. Oh, and he also recommended no body pump class for at least a week.

I'd really like to know how others mentally deal with this type of setback, because right now I'm just super bummed.

2010-07-13 7:28 AM
in reply to: #2976681

User image

Regular
Millers, MD.
Subject: RE: Injury cramping my training style
I'm a 44 y.o. guy and relatively new "serious athlete" also. I've been seriously training for the last 2.5 years, and just started training for my first tri a few months back. 
With that said, I have had two "serious" injuries over the last couple of years.

The first was a bad case of patellar tendonitis I got while training for my first marathon back in Jan 2009.  I could barely walk right after it happened. Went to Dr. and was prescribed anti inflammatories and physical therapy (PT). The marathon I was training for was scheduled in mid March, and my longest run prior to the injury was 14miles. I was unable to do any running for 2 weeks, then only short mileage increases the following 2 weeks and I did run/ walk regime on them. After about 4-5 weeks of PT and gradual increase in training. I was able to complete 8 and 10 mile runs, although I still had some pain in the knee. I was determined not to let 7 months of training go down the tubes and meet my mid March marathon goal.  Long story short is that I did it, but at a price. I ended up increasing my weekly long runs the last month at a 2+ mile per week clip  just so I could get a 20 mile long run in two weeks prior to marathon day. It took a toll on my body/ legs and I ended up having IT Band problems in both knees on race day. I bonked at mile 20 and had to run/ walk to finish, but I did finish.  I couldn't run again for another 3-4 weeks after my legs felt so bad. However I had just met a lifetime goal and was a happy camper, even with the resultant injury.

Second injury was a badly strained trapezious muscle I incurred while trying to shoulder shrug too much weight.  I rested two weeks and went back to training and it came right back. Went to Dr. they prescribed muscle relaxers and more anti inflammatories and rest. I rested another 2-3 weeks and then started training again and whamo, same problem again. This went on for months. Finally I stopped resistance training my upper body all together and rested it for 3-4 months and it finally healed completely.

I guess the point of both of these is that, it depends on you, your goals, your body, and how much pain you are willing to put up with.   Only you know your body best and what your limits are. It took me a LONG time and alot of minor and major setbacks to finally learn to listen to my own body. My experience, being an older guy, is that more rest and less training is better when trying to get through an injury. In the first case above, I didn't do that though and I met my goal, but I paid the price for a long time afterwards. I know it hurts to sit still and not train, especially if you are at that point of needing the daily "fix" of training, but in the long run, rest is probably best. Maybe take even a little more than you think, and then ease back into it. 

Sorry for the long post, I'm sure others can offer better experiences and recommendations than I, but just listen to your body and you'll be OK.
Guy

2010-07-13 10:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh
When I have had injuries, I always try to find ways to work out so an not to lose any of the training I have built up.

The bad news is where your injury is located makes it difficult to find something else to do. You can't swim (use of chest/ shoulders) can't bike on road (too rough/ pressure on chest & arms) can't run (too much pounding & twisting)

I would think you MIGHT still be able to get to the gym and cycle on a STATIONARY bike. Just don't lean over the bike sit upright and pedal LIGHTLY- basically don't use your upper body. If there is an elliptical machine (I think that's what they are called - those things that you stand on and move your feet in ellipses), you MIGHT be able to get away with "light running" just don't use your arms (ie. chest muscles) and do more of a walking motion.

Note the caps and bold text. As an athlete, YOU have to listen to your body and YOU know when you can push it and when to hold back. The Doctor has told you 2-4 weeks for a pulled muscle so in 10 days you might ride a stationary bike lightly to see how it goes and EASE back into things.

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION (I am not a doctor) and what I would most likely do to test the healing process. I think doc's tend to be overly cautious so I usually push things a bit to get back to training. YES, I am one of those sick individuals that doesn't like to lose training days.
2010-07-13 3:07 PM

New user
I want to preface this with, I'm not a medical doctor and this is my personal opinion.

Injury suck and I don't do well with taking time off.  I also come from a long athletic background where I had to decide if I was "hurt" or "injured."  Hurt ment I had to slow down, take part of a work out off, modify something, but I could push through it.  Injured met I couldn't do something with out further injury.  That being said, I've learned a lot about my body and what I can and can't do and when the pain was too much to keep working out.  I've also learned to go to doctors who are either athletes or work with athletes, because triathlon training is absolutly nuts, obsessive and puts people at constant risk of injury and overuse if the doc doesn't understand what you are doing.  I often get from my doctor, "this is what you should do, but this is what you have to do." 

Also, I don't do well with little to no activity.  My wife gets scared when I have to take time off.  I get bored so fast.  Although, I see her side of the arguement as to how much time this training actually takes up.

I feel for ya.  But, remember that if you are only sore, you might be able to do some type of excercise.  Also, the training in the long run with keep you from getting future injuries and help you recover faster.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Injury cramping my training style Rss Feed