View Member's Race Log View other race reports
St. Cloud, Minnesota
United States
Total Time = 1h 28m
Overall Rank = 107/367
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 21/53
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at about 3:30 or so and ate breakfast; yogurt with granola,an egg, of course coffee and made a protein shake for the drive. Loaded into the car and took off for the 1 hour+ drive to St. Cloud. I hadn't seen the course yet so we got there early enough to drive it once. We had to park about a 1/2 mile from transition and then the swim start was back by the cars so there was a bit of back and forth before the event finally started.
Event warmup:

Went for about a 10 minute (mile or so) run to get loose and then went to get my wetsuit on. After we all walked to the beach I had about 15 minutes till my wave started so I had plenty of time to get in and swim a few hundred yards.
Swim
  • 11m 43s
  • 733 meters
  • 01m 36s / 100 meters
Comments:

This time included the ~150m run from the beach up to the transition area. This was only my 2nd OWS and we started from the beach so I am still trying to figure out the mass start. The waves were quite large and the beach was not so it was very crowded. In my first OWS I was lucky enought to get out in front and it was not a strong swim field but today was different. I tried to get out in front again but this time a lot of people stayed with me and it got pretty brutal. It took way more energy than I wanted to spend to try to fight through it. Finally after about 200m the field spread out and then the swim went pretty well. Sighting was ok, rythm and breathing were good, ended up being a decent swim other than the start.
What would you do differently?:

Just need more experience with the mass start to be better prepared to deal with it.
Transition 1
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

Nothing out of the ordinary here. Need to try to speed it up though, I may start trying to bike without socks as it would help save some time.
Bike
  • 47m 1s
  • 15 miles
  • 19.14 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew I was towards the front of my AG at this point but I also knew that the bike is my weakest leg and I knew I had to push it here if I wanted to post a good time. My plan was to stay around 18mph for the first 1/2 and push it the 2nd if I felt I could. Unfortunately I couldn't fight the temptation to push it so I held about 20-21 for the first 1/2. This problem was not helped by the fact that only 2 people in my AG (and only 3-4 total) passed me during this time and I was passing many people so my adrenaline kind of got me going as well. I knew I was pushing too hard but decided I would try to maintain the pace and see what happened on the run. We never really know what we are made of till we try right?

Need to keep pushing my bike fitness, I lose a lot of time on the bike leg.
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

The course finished on a small downhill into transition and I hit the dismount line and ran it in to the racks. As I threw the bike on the rack I heard psssssss...It sounded like my tire was leaking air...or someone around me, I couldn't really tell. At that point I didn't really care so I carried on and could find out whose tire it was later.

Need to get some speed laces, could have saved at least 20 seconds.
Run
  • 26m 33s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

As I feared I had pushed too hard on the bike and paid for it here. This was really a painful run for me and it show in my time. I wanted to hold clser to a 7:30 pace and was a full minute off of that. The excitement of having only been passed by 2-3 AG competitors on the bike quickly faded as they started to file by on the run course. Lesson learned I guess and good information to take in to my training.

Better bike fitness.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stretched and drank some water. My family came over and we all talked for a while. I went back to my bike to check on the tire and sure enough my back tire was competely flat. It must have happened on the way into transition. I was so thankful that it had not happened seconds earlier while I was still riding or out on the course. That was a very lucky bit of timing. The post race food was hot dogs which honestly did not sound that great at the time so after cooling down we packed up and headed out to find some lunch in town.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall I felt pretty good about the race. Just need to keep pushing in training and try to hold to the planned paces a little better.

Event comments:

This was a brand new race location for this race and I thought they did a good job organizing the whole event. I would do it again next year if it fits into the schedule.

Last updated: 2010-04-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:43 | 733 meters | 01m 36s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/53
Overall: 26/367
Performance: Average
Suit: Yes
Course: Point to point swim straight across the lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:44
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:47:01 | 15 miles | 19.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 25/53
Overall: 131/367
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Relatively flat loop course with a few rolling hills. Well marked and staffed.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:33 | 03.1 miles | 08m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 32/53
Overall: 180/367
Performance: Below average
Course: Rolling out and back on a portion of the bike course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes