Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2010-07-15 2:20 AM
in reply to: #2979729

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
Subject: RE: Jeff Galloway run/walk?
It's awesome that this method works for so many of you, but for someone that knows he'll never be a fast runner....my goal is to actually run any "running" races I enter.   I have no problem walking through a cramp or something, but I feel much better about my effort when I can say I didn't have to walk.

2010-07-15 4:22 AM

Just north of Seattle WA

Well this subject is interesting. I didn't know about the run/walk method until today. I've been struggling with transitioning from the treadmill to a track. I thought it was mainly about pace, but I found even when "finding" my pace on the track, I'm worn out and my HR is too high after 2 miles. I found that by walking 2 minutes after every mile, I can finish the entire 3 miles and feel a lot better, and my legs recover much faster.
Still, this walking thing is hard for me not to view as "failing", as I'm a former track and cross country runner from my earlier years. All that training wires your head for life. So, thanks for posting this information. I'm now working on re-wiring my brain to incorporate this as a strategy.

2010-07-15 6:47 AM
in reply to: #2982064

User image

undertheradar - 2010-07-15 2:20 AM It's awesome that this method works for so many of you, but for someone that knows he'll never be a fast runner....my goal is to actually run any "running" races I enter.   I have no problem walking through a cramp or something, but I feel much better about my effort when I can say I didn't have to walk.

There is a difference in "have to walk" and "choose to walk". I have never walked a race/practice run once I worked to finish a 5k. That was my goal. Run an entire 5k. I can do that, slowly. But...if I choose to run/walk to avoid injury, drop time or some other reason...I can't see it as failure. I am planning on doing a combination to avoid injury. It's compelling stuff.

Also for the poster above. My times started at about 13:00/mile 2 years ago and I can maintain about a 10:50/mile pace at this time. If I can get it below 10, I will be thrilled. I dream of running a 29 minute 5k! So close...30:21.

2010-07-15 6:48 AM

User image

Sorry-to clarify...my second comment was for chayes.
2010-07-15 7:18 AM
in reply to: #2982143

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Bobby McGee a world class running coach (olympic gold medal coach and works with many of the elite tirathletes) is a huge believer of the run/walk protocol.   Says the protocol is just not for us "slow" runners.  Gordo Bryn has run 1:15hr HIM's (pretty speedy) using the protocol.   

I can't seem to find the link but Bobby McGee does a great interview on imtalk.me regarding the run/walk protocol.  Well worth the 30 minutes to listen too.  Lots of reasons to use it including:

Better recovery
Better fat burning
Able to increase distance of runs in training faster
And in many cases just plain faster.

For me personally I run faster using it because it eliminates the big fade at the end of my longer runs.  Also mentally it helps by breaking the longer distances into smaller segments.

Would I use it to run a 5K race or a sprint distance tri - No.  Everything else - you bet I use it.  It has been a huge "win" for me.
2010-07-15 7:26 AM
in reply to: #2982174

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

junthank - 2010-07-15 8:18 AM
I can't seem to find the link but Bobby McGee does a great interview on imtalk.me regarding the run/walk protocol.  Well worth the 30 minutes to listen too.  Lots of reasons to use it including:

I believe it's episode #170.

For anyone interested in listening:

1.  Itunes

2.  Podcasts

3.  IMtalk

4.  look for episode 170.

2010-07-15 7:34 AM
in reply to: #2980688

User image

Champion
MA
KathyG - 2010-07-14 1:53 PM When I started tri'ing in '04 in my mind, I thought walking during the run was failure.

Since then I've found the light and I find run/walk allows me to run faster which is the goal to get to the finish line fastest right?  I do all my long runs run/walk, I do my HIM and IM runs in races run/walk. I try to run 5x a week when healthy. I find run/walking as a strategy works on many levels..mental to physical.

Most runs I do 1 mile run/30-60" walk. But that changes somewhat on how I feel. I just had knee surgery so I'm doing 4' run/1' walk after my knee is warmed up and less stiff.

Here is a great read from Friel's blog about it and discusses ratios of run/walk and why it is helpful.

The link in my first post has the details from Friel and McGee discussion on run/walk for triathletes and the link to the run/walk podcast as well where in the podcast you can find the interview.
2010-07-15 8:56 AM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
I run 9 walk 1 for any run over 30 minutes, and in most races. I recently ran a 5k PR of 26:48.  I have battled ITB issues and hip issues for 20 years. For me, the R/W helps me by giving the repetitive pounding a slight change- the walk helps me focus on biomechanics, using my core, etc, and the I feel like I start "fresh" after the minute. Also, my walk pace is pretty speedy, I think that's key, you aren't ambling, you are really still working. There are naysayers, but I just smile and wave. I love running now. I look forward to it, I get crabby when I can't run and I am 100% sure it is because R/W is kinder to my body. I am 38 years old, I am never going to be a medalist, but I DO want to feel this happy about running when I am 78.
2010-07-15 9:19 AM

User image

Regular
Boston area
Speaking as a relatively slow newbie....I like the run/walk method. 

I ran a 5k in May using the following strategy: 1/2 mile run: 1 minute walk.  It really helped me mentally to break up the distance.  It was a great race for me, and I still gave it my all. My HR was about 190 at the end.  I ran 11'/mile overall, a pace I'm pretty sure I couldn't have maintained running continually.

Then I got arrogant and started just running on my training runs.  Chronic hamstring injury flared up again, and after a month of rest I'm preparing to start running again.  You can bet I'll use the run/walk method this time.
2010-07-15 9:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Husk, NC
My wife used it to run 4 marathons.  It works great and does not really slow you down.  She would past a lot of folks over the last 6 miles that were crashing while she still felt good.  She used a 9-1 minute cycle.
2010-07-15 9:45 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I find it interesting that the opponents seem to consistently cite "ego" as the reason they wouldn't consider r/w.  I guess if they can feel better about themselves because they ran all the way, then good for them.  But I also sense the attitude that they feel r/w somehow diminishes the accomplishment. 

The last time I checked they didn't award style points in triathlon - the only thing that actually counts is your finishing time.  If someone can complete the distance faster by r/w, then I don't know what's wrong with that.  Or even if it lets you just make it to the finish line. 

I have tons of respect for everyone who shows up to do a triathlon, willing to succeed or fail in public ( "in front of God and everyone" as my high school wrestling coach used to say).  Triathlon is hard.  It takes personal effort and commitment to get to the finish line, no matter how you get there. 

Mark

2010-07-15 9:47 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
As I have mentioned before in other multiple threads on this topic, run/walk, HR zone training, RPE, ect. are all the same thing. They are all forms of pacing management. Whether you run/walk to a pace or simply run the pace (and if you are fading towwards the end of runs you are running too fast or too long for your fitness), it's the same result. Learning how to pace yopurself can ber very difficult and people fail at it a lot, especially when new. Run/walk provides a framework for developing that as well as increased volume safely. It's no better or worse than any other protocol as long as you stick to it.

As to whether or not it's the fastest way to finish a race is a different conversation. It's funny as athletes we always seem to want to ascribe a technique or protocol for our success when in reality wer just ran more and got better.

Edited by bryancd 2010-07-15 9:49 AM
2010-07-15 9:51 AM

User image

Runner
I don't walk. I have never specifically trained to do it, and I see no need to start now. I'm fairly certain based on past personal experiences in training with other people that it would be detrimental to my overall pacing and strategy.

But if it works for you, go for it.
2010-07-15 12:16 PM
in reply to: #2982576

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
bryancd - 2010-07-15 10:47 AM As I have mentioned before in other multiple threads on this topic, run/walk, HR zone training, RPE, ect. are all the same thing. They are all forms of pacing management. Whether you run/walk to a pace or simply run the pace (and if you are fading towwards the end of runs you are running too fast or too long for your fitness), it's the same result. Learning how to pace yopurself can ber very difficult and people fail at it a lot, especially when new. Run/walk provides a framework for developing that as well as increased volume safely. It's no better or worse than any other protocol as long as you stick to it. As to whether or not it's the fastest way to finish a race is a different conversation. It's funny as athletes we always seem to want to ascribe a technique or protocol for our success when in reality wer just ran more and got better.

Your right, in a sense protocol doesn't matter.  Whatever protocol you employ that enables you to "run more and get better" is the key. 
2010-07-15 12:31 PM
in reply to: #2982023

User image

Veteran
chayes -I'm no speed demon and this thread really has me thinking about using the Galloway method- but are the people it's helping running 13 minute miles?  11?  9?  8?

My last training run:

5.75 miles
5:1 run/walk ratio
8:50 average pace  (would have been faster without a several minute stop at a stop light)
150 average HR

In earlier discussions about run/walking we made a _guess_ that it's a valuable strategy up until about 7:30min/mi.  If your goal is to go sub-7:30, run/walking may no longer be a useful approach. 

P.S. 18 months ago, I was struggling to do 13min/mi at a 2:1 run/walk ratio. 

Edited by mrcurtain 2010-07-15 12:36 PM
2010-07-16 9:56 AM

Extreme Veteran
i'm a big fan of his walk/run method.
(it keeps me away from the treadmill & makes training through the summer heat & smog more manageable if i don't stress about running straight through.)

my take: as long as the distance gets covered, doesn't matter how you do it!

2010-07-16 10:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks again for this thread.  It really has changed my mind.  I guess I've always raced distances that I can run the whole way, and figured there's no sense in walking if I can run.  And I thought of walk/running as something my couch-to-5k friends do.  But I'm not a fast runner at all and I'm really intrigued by this.  I'd also discounted marathons as a possibility unless I lose 20 lbs but reading this makes me wonder if I could really do it.
Also worth noting that the negative comments are from people who have never used this method.  I think most methods (barefoot running, TI swimming, whatever) you'll have people who've done it and loved and and people who've done it and hated it.  It's just amazing that everyone who's done this is faster for it. 
2010-07-16 10:42 AM

User image

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
bryancd - 2010-07-15 8:47 AM As I have mentioned before in other multiple threads on this topic, run/walk, HR zone training, RPE, ect. are all the same thing. They are all forms of pacing management. Whether you run/walk to a pace or simply run the pace (and if you are fading towwards the end of runs you are running too fast or too long for your fitness), it's the same result. Learning how to pace yopurself can ber very difficult and people fail at it a lot, especially when new. Run/walk provides a framework for developing that as well as increased volume safely. It's no better or worse than any other protocol as long as you stick to it. As to whether or not it's the fastest way to finish a race is a different conversation. It's funny as athletes we always seem to want to ascribe a technique or protocol for our success when in reality wer just ran more and got better.

I agree, in terms of pacing. But what about the "recovery effect" that the walking breaks have for muscles and joints? The mechanics of walking are different than running. The stress impact is different. Several posters here have mentioned how this method has kept their injuries at bay and allowed them to train at all. I have no problem running steady for 90 minutes at a slow pace yet my legs feel a lot better if I build in walk breaks. I also recover faster so I can run/walk again sooner and thus more frequently overall.
2010-07-16 10:44 AM
in reply to: #2985223

User image

Runner
SauseEnte - 2010-07-16 11:42 AM

bryancd - 2010-07-15 8:47 AM As I have mentioned before in other multiple threads on this topic, run/walk, HR zone training, RPE, ect. are all the same thing. They are all forms of pacing management. Whether you run/walk to a pace or simply run the pace (and if you are fading towwards the end of runs you are running too fast or too long for your fitness), it's the same result. Learning how to pace yopurself can ber very difficult and people fail at it a lot, especially when new. Run/walk provides a framework for developing that as well as increased volume safely. It's no better or worse than any other protocol as long as you stick to it. As to whether or not it's the fastest way to finish a race is a different conversation. It's funny as athletes we always seem to want to ascribe a technique or protocol for our success when in reality wer just ran more and got better.

I agree, in terms of pacing. But what about the "recovery effect" that the walking breaks have for muscles and joints? The mechanics of walking are different than running. The stress impact is different. Several posters here have mentioned how this method has kept their injuries at bay and allowed them to train at all. I have no problem running steady for 90 minutes at a slow pace yet my legs feel a lot better if I build in walk breaks. I also recover faster so I can run/walk again sooner and thus more frequently overall.

But that's as much about managing effort. If your overall effort is lower, you'll recover faster, and thus be able to do more. Injuries are definitely linked to effort. It ain't the mileage, it's how hard you do them.
2010-07-16 10:47 AM
in reply to: #2985229

User image

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
Scout7 - 2010-07-16 9:44 AM

But that's as much about managing effort. If your overall effort is lower, you'll recover faster, and thus be able to do more. Injuries are definitely linked to effort. It ain't the mileage, it's how hard you do them.

So you don't think the different TYPE of movement has anything to do with it?
2010-07-16 10:48 AM
in reply to: #2985238

User image

Runner
SauseEnte - 2010-07-16 11:47 AM

Scout7 - 2010-07-16 9:44 AM

So you don't think the different TYPE of movement has anything to do with it?

In these instances, physically no. There may be a mental break, which may come across as a physical difference, but I do not think that the change of movement type comes into play here.

2010-07-16 11:55 AM

bryancd - 2010-07-15 9:47 AM As I have mentioned before in other multiple threads on this topic, run/walk, HR zone training, RPE, ect. are all the same thing. They are all forms of pacing management. Whether you run/walk to a pace or simply run the pace (and if you are fading towwards the end of runs you are running too fast or too long for your fitness), it's the same result. Learning how to pace yopurself can ber very difficult and people fail at it a lot, especially when new. Run/walk provides a framework for developing that as well as increased volume safely. It's no better or worse than any other protocol as long as you stick to it. As to whether or not it's the fastest way to finish a race is a different conversation. It's funny as athletes we always seem to want to ascribe a technique or protocol for our success when in reality wer just ran more and got better.

This.  The run/walk method clearly works well for some people, especially in longer runs and races.  For anything less than a marathon, I prefer to run the whole time, at a pace that I know I can handle based on my training.
2010-07-16 11:59 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs
I haven't read through the entire thread, so I apologize if this has been said before:

the run/ walk method can have a big mental boost. I used it for my first marathon and it was helpful to think "okay, run for 5 more minutes, then you can have a walk break." Since that I've learned to pace myself and run the full 26.2, but I think run/ walk is a good tool for some people.
2010-07-16 12:13 PM
in reply to: #2985488

User image

Expert
CenTex
I use this in a 9:1 min ratio and it works well for me.  I find that I feel better longer into the run and have less fatigue in my knees throughout the run.  I have not always used this methodology but have found that it works well for me in longer (>10K) runs.
2010-07-16 12:33 PM
in reply to: #2982023

User image

Champion
Northridge, California

nah...nm...

Edited by tcovert 2010-07-16 12:34 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Jeff Galloway run/walk? Rss Feed  

of 4