Midwest Sports Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m
Overall Rank = 244/1199
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 26/86
Pre-race routine:

Every year on my birthday my mother calls me and retells me the details of my birth. " Did I ever tell you about the day you were born?" Yes mom.

Well I always think of the Pewaukee as my Tri birthday. Every year in my Pewaukee race report I talk about the the details of my tri "birth" in 2005. Just like baby pictures, it is always fun to look back at how cute we were and how much we have changed.

In 2005 I barely slept the night before. I didn't know what to expect and I was a bit scared.

In 2010, I had a restful 4 hours of sleep, got up at 4, at my bagels and banana and headed out for the race. Beautiful morning with little wind.

In 2005, I arrived bewildered and spent a long time setting up my transition.

In 2010, I had my transition set up, body marked and got timing chip in about 15 minutes. So I decided to walk around and do some warm up.
Event warmup:

In 2005 I knew no one.
In 2010, one of the best parts is seeing my friends. First I saw lrunfit as she set up her transition, looking ready to kick butt. When I was getting my timing chip, I saw the always friendly KimK. When I was out on my warm up run, I ran into Djdavey, Lunatick (who was celebrating her real birthday) and Schwimmy coach who were all volunteering. When I got back to transition I got a very pleasant surprise because JoeRunner & Cweinger were right next to me in transition. That was so cool. We then saw and talked it up with Rosshole. Headed down to the water for a relaxing 10 minute warm up.
Swim
  • 09m 30s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

I have recalled my first swim many times. I was very intimidated by the distance. It was much further than I had imagined. I went into major panic about 50 yards in. I breast stroked nearly all of swim and not very well.

In 2010, I was very calm. The water was calm. The water was clear for the first time since I started doing this race. The first 100 I calmly headed out and drafted off some feet (that I could actually see). I took the buoy wide and steered clear of the crowd. After I turned final corner, I tried to find some feet to follow again. The sunrise made sighting a little bit hard, but I focused on the outlines of the buildings across the street from the beach. I came out of the water, right next to my buddy JoeRunner.

My 2005 swim split 13:40
My 2010 swim split 9:30 (a PR for this race)
What would you do differently?:

After lots of chop on my first two races of the season, this was awesome. Calm, clear, warm water. I would like to get more competitve in the swim, but I just don't think it will ever happen.
Transition 1
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

This was kind of a crazy T-1. Terri and I came in at the same time. So it was kind of a race within a race (she kicked my butt) Meanwhile the guy on the other side was talking to me and Dave and company were yelling at us from outside transition. Not a terrible transition for me.

Now 2005, that was a different story. The guy next to me had told me not to rush through transition to make sure I had everything. Boy I sure listened to him. My T-1 in 2005? 5:51. I have NO idea what I possible could have been doing that would have taken that long. Holy crap.

Stay focused. My T-1s start out with promise, but I always seem to get distracted.
Bike
  • 49m 13s
  • 15.5 miles
  • 18.90 mile/hr
Comments:

I made decision to work hard this entire course. I was going to push for a PR, which was 48min. This a technical course without much plain straight way. I was truly blessed with an early wave this year. This Course gets terribly crowded in the later waves (just ask Schmize) In fact I had seriously considered not doing this race anymore because of the bike course mayham. However in the early waves it was pretty smooth sailing. My first goal was to try and catch Joerunner. I pushed hard and looked for her. Finally at mile 7 I spotted her. I came up to her and said Pssst. eeaaww. She said Sh*t! The rest of the way I pushed hard because I knew she was back there gunning for me. I played cat and mouse with about 5 riders and a familiar pattern repeated itself: every down hill or flat they would pass me, every uphill I would motor past them. I guess this makes me feel good, but I would like to get it where they don't pass me at all. I came rolling in to T-2 with a smile, not a PR, but a satisfying ride none the less.

In 2005, I was satisfied too. I was riding my road bike that I had gotten two weeks before race day. It was so much faster than my mountain bike. I was happy that I had finished the 15 miles (distance that year) because it was the farthest I had ever ridden. 2005 time: 54:40.

I have been trying to figure that out for 3 years now. I let you know when I figure it out.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

When I got to T-2, the guy next to me's bike was laying down and not on rack. At first I thought it was in my spot and started to push it away, then I realized it was not in my spot and stopped. Considering all that, not a terrible transition. As I exited transition, I spotted Joerunner coming in and decided to high tail it out of there.

Back in 2005, I took 2:24 to take my helmet off. (I didn't have clipless pedals yet and was wearing my running shoes on bike.)

Leave other people's bikes alone
Run
  • 23m 48s
  • 3.15 miles
  • 07m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

last year I DNF'd on the bike (flat tire), but I went out on the run anyway when I got back. Not surprisingly, on fresh legs I PR'ed the run (24:25 7:44 pace) This year I figured I wouldn't match that after ful bike course. I was wrong. (Shocker!) As I came out of T-2 my legs felt good and I went with it. As I started out, there was a woman ahead of me with this printed across her backside: "what do you run for?" So I thought about it and the answer was "to be faster." So that is what I did. Now this young lady was a bit faster than me, so I spent the rest of the run focusing on those words. As she got faster, so did I. I passed many people from earlier waves and just felt strong. Lo and behold I crossed the finish line with a PR on the run and a PR for the race.

In 2005, I left transition and my legs felt like heavy logs. I struggled through the run and was simply glad to finish. 2005 run time: 31:02

Be a strong enough runner to pass that woman.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with all my Donkey friends, including Schmize, who burned up the course as usual. I always enjoy this part. Back in 2005, I knew no one. There was no one there to ask: how did you do? Really what fun is a 'birthday' party without friends to share it with.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The usual suspects

Event comments:

Sometimes we have to step back to see how much we have grown.
2005 1:47
2006 1:37
2007 1:27
2008 1:32 (Du year)
2009 DNF (darn flat)
2010 1:26

This race has gone through growing pains too, but I was impressed with how it was run this year and might just back next year to celebrate my tri 'birthday' Either that or I will go to Chucky e Cheese's.

Last updated: 2010-05-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:30 | 440 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/86
Overall: 0/1199
Performance: Good
Suit: Rocket Science full
Course: out, across & and back because that is where they keep the beach
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:13
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:49:13 | 15.5 miles | 18.90 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: through the hills & around the lake of the beatiful area of my homeland.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:48 | 03.15 miles | 07m 34s  min/mile
Course: first half up hill, second half down hill
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-14 9:49 AM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Subject: Pewaukee Triathlon

2010-07-14 11:13 AM
in reply to: #2979962

User image

Subject: RE: Pewaukee Triathlon
Great race and report. It's awesome and inspiring to see how much you improved through the years. Thanks for sharing.
2010-07-14 12:10 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Awesome, Jim. You really kicked this one in its head. There's nothing more gratifying than seeing all your hard work pay off, and you sure can with this race. Great job!
2010-07-14 12:39 PM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

Can i go to chuck e. cheese's with you next year?!?!?!?!

EEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWsum job out there donkey!!!

2010-07-14 4:06 PM

User image

Expert
Waukesha, WI
As usual you have me hooked from the first word of the report   Great job out there - it was so awesome to see everyone have a great time and get great times!
2010-07-15 9:53 AM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, WI
Great race, nice PR. Your awesome report (as usual) has me thinking about coming back next year. After last year I swore off this race. Thanks for making me think about again!

2010-07-15 12:56 PM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
I think when you read that shirt your answer was "to beat the socks off Joe Runner".  I told Clint I was probably done with this race cuz there as soooo many people, but maybe some sweet revenge coupled with DJDavey's track workouts will bring me back to see if I can beat you.  Glad to spend your tri-birthday with you..it's mine too....only a couple of years later. 
Anyway, great job on your PR...bask in the glory for days or weeks or even years to come.
2010-07-15 3:30 PM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

Not a bad race for a 5-year old!  Good job Jim, keep on truckin!

2010-07-15 8:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Nice job Webs!! I vote for a bike ride to Chuck E Cheese next year though...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pewaukee Triathlon Rss Feed