Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » Training in Sherwood Park Alberta Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-14 4:17 PM

User image

Sherwood Park, AB Canada
Subject: Training in Sherwood Park Alberta
Anyone know of any Triathlon training programs available in Sherwood Park, Alberta? I'm new to competing and need to find a place to start.

2010-07-14 8:47 PM
in reply to: #2981406

User image

Veteran
outskirts of town
Subject: RE: Training in Sherwood Park Alberta
Hey there! Welcome to Sherwood Park!

There are actually a couple of clubs I'm aware of. I did some training with the Mission 3 group. They are a good group of people and very supportive. I'm not sure what they're doing this year, but last year the majority of them were getting ready for IM Canada. Google True Form Fitness, and that might get you a link. Call (780) 902-8182.

The other group is the Ironwill group run by Gail Flint. Try [email protected]. I haven't trained with them, but I see them in the pool all the time, and I'm always getting emails for all their training sessions.

Good luck, and if you ever want somebody to run or ride with, give me a shout.

jelly
2010-07-15 1:23 AM

User image

Sherwood Park, Ab
Welcome to the Park...

I love it here but I haven't found a dedicated "group" to train with. Last winter I took a class through Millennium Centre - Strength Training/Cycling and I found it to be very helpful for the transitions and fat burn. 

I'm going to sign up to that and possibly the swim portion again this winter.

Bout it.

What are you goals right now? I just did my first Sprint earlier in the summer and next year I hope to do an Olympic.  
2010-07-15 3:29 PM
in reply to: #2982056

User image

Sherwood Park, AB Canada
Hey there!

I'm familiar with the programs at Millennium, but I haven't really got involved in any. I'm a little intimidated, not knowing where I would fit in with the rest of the group. But, I know that if I want to get anywhere, I'll need to give it a go.

Here is the scoop: I cycle quite a bit (commute to work when I can and do trips out towards east/south east of the park (2, 3 or 4 hour rides). I try to run on a regular basis (at least every second day for about 30 minutes to 1 hour). Swimming...well, that's my weakest ability. I can swim, but I really need to work on being able to do the distance. Swimming a good distance is tough, at least for me. I need to put more effort into this.

I want to be realistic about my goal. I'm 48 and trying to get into better shape, so I'm shooting towards a sprint triathlon, try to do a few of these and then eventually work up to an Olympic distance. Even though I like the idea of an Ironman distance, I don't think I have the time to devote to such an endeavor. Anyway...I want to concentrate on the sprint. That's my goal.
2010-07-15 5:05 PM
in reply to: #2981837

User image

Sherwood Park, AB Canada
Thanks for the reply.

I'm going to start digging around a little. I know Millennium Place has got some triathlon related stuff going on and I know that Gail runs sessions at the pool on a regular basis. I just need to get over the fear factor. I'm going to pop over there after work today and attempt a swim.

I usually do some longer rides, on weekend mornings, east and south east of the park. I usually see quite a few people out there. Perhaps you've been out that way before?
2010-07-16 2:13 PM

User image

Veteran
outskirts of town
No worries! Triathlon is full of the most supportive and positive people I know!!

The Millenium Place tri swim classes run by Rob B and Kris S are awesome! Keep an eye on the rec guide to check for the next offering.

Keep in touch!

Kevin

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » Training in Sherwood Park Alberta Rss Feed