Musselman Triathlon
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 14m 52s
Overall Rank = 455/794
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 65/87
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:45, ate a bowl of cereal and a bar before the race. Drove to the race and was there by 5:45. We rented an old house on the lake that was on the bike course. Convenient for the family to see me during the bike.
Event warmup:

Walk, expel, stretch.
Swim
  • 39m 59s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Reasonable swim time for me. I sighted well until we turned back into the sun then I had trouble picking up the bouys and went on a small tangent off course. Early on got cut off once by two others merging in front of me and also took an elbow to the left eye which dislodged my goggles and had to stop to fix them.
What would you do differently?:

Try to relax more a concentrate on technique. A few times I felt like I was too tense and fighting the water.
Transition 1
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

I had some trouble getting my zipper on the wetsuit started but after that no big problems. Average transition time but I ranked higher on my transitions than on the swim, bike or run.

Move faster and practice getting out of the wetsuit.
Bike
  • 3h 09m 52s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.70 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike is still a weak segment for me but I went a little faster than I expected and still felt ok at the end. No crashes or flat tires (woo-hoo). The course was swept the day before the race so very little rocks to deal with.
Transition 2
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

I didn't give myself enough time to get both feet out the shoes before the dismount line so I only had one out and had to do the uneven waddle / jog with my bike to the rack. Otherwise average transition.

Get both feet out of the shoes before the dismount.
Run
  • 2h 20m 3s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I had hoped to go faster than this on the run but I didn't have it in me. Had to walk on some of the bigger hills. Felt better on the second half of the course with the downhills and probably finished with as good of a pace as I started. Ran through the finish chute with my five year old son (not sure which of us had the most fun there).

Longer runs on my bricks and get my weight down.
Post race
Warm down:

Sit in the shade and regale the family with stories from the day. Post race food was great, lots of fruit and good drinks and the ice cream was very nice on a hot day. Finisher medal is recycled shimano sprocket.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ice cream, fried chicken, bloomin' onions and banana pudding

Event comments:

Great race. Well organized. Easy for the family to find me on the course and things for the kids to do in the park while they waited on me (such as the sprayground). We combined this race with a tour of New York (Catskills, Lake George, Erie Canal, Rochester/Lake Ontario, Niagara, Geneva). A wonderful trip and race that I would recommend to all.

Last updated: 2010-05-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:59 | 2112 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 62/87
Overall: 462/794
Performance: Average
Suit: Full Sockeye FTR
Course: 3/4 of a rectangle in the lake, then into a channel. Water was a little warmer in the channel but I didn't notice any stench. Some current to our benefit in the channel. Wade in start, could probably walk first 100 yards if you wanted. Clear water, seaweed growing on bottom, not much floating in your way.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:42
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:09:52 | 56 miles | 17.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/87
Overall: 0/794
Wind: Little
Course: Nice course through the countryside between Seneca and Cayuga lakes. Good views of both lakes. Only one big hill at about mile 32. Otherwise not very hilly. It is much hillier where I train. Any potholes marked with yellow paint. Only rough road is about 3.5 miles through Sampson State Park. Aid stations at miles 11.5, 24.8, 32, 38 and 48.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:16
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:20:03 | 13.1 miles | 10m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 59/87
Overall: 475/794
Performance: Below average
Course: Through Seneca Lake Park and Geneva. Sunny and warm but cooler than it would have been a few days before. First and last 2.5 miles flat. Very steep and short hill on grass or stairs at about mile 3. Some decent size uphills between miles 4 and 7 and then much more down than up between 8 to 10.5.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-14 7:06 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon

2010-07-15 1:43 PM
in reply to: #2981692

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon
Wow, we have the same splits just about in all events ! Check out my race report !Finished seconds before you.

Great race !!

Nathalie
2010-07-15 2:26 PM
in reply to: #2981692

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon

Nice job out there!! The run course can be brutal!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon Rss Feed