General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The DFL thread (if you've ever come in last) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-06-19 9:02 PM
in reply to: TheClaaaw

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Subject: RE: The DFL thread (if you've ever come in last)
Originally posted by TheClaaaw

Well, since this thread has been bumped up, I started in tri after this thread existed in 2010. We're not supposed to blatantly plug our blogs, but I'm going to violate this time. You want a DFL story? I have tons of em. Three seasons worth. From 51/51 in a local pool-swim sprint in May 2011, to being the last across the line at Eagleman last weekend with only one person logging a longer time.... About half my races half been DFL, including tris, 5ks, half marathons, and a DFL at a 5k swim. (Where I raised the most money and won an ipad.)

I've been having the time of my life in DFL territory.

I recognize the name from some thread a while back, maybe Triing for Weightloss? Got me laughing - what a positive, fun attitude.
Mitzi

2013-06-20 7:19 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

i'm doing a sprint this weekend and would't be surprised if I came in DFL - I tend to hover towards the bottom - my last 2 races have been 3rd from last and 4th from last respectively...the one this weekend isn't full by a long shot (400 spots overall and 158 still available)...and I haven't been able to train like I wanted (my plantar faciitis decided to flare up the last month after being relatively well-behaved for the last few)...so we'll see
2013-06-20 7:44 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Regular
NSW
I came DFL in my first ever run with the tri club I joined.
It was 4ks and I had only just ran my first ever 5k the week before. They were testing new timing chips. There were only half a dozen of us doing 4ks, I was coming last about 3mins behind the 2nd last person. As I approached the finish feeling proud of myself the organisers looked mortified, it appears they had forgotten about me and turned off the timer! No-one spoke to me and barely gave me eye contact, as I later found out they were embarrassed.
2013-06-20 8:58 AM
in reply to: flossybach

User image

Master
MidWest

In my second ever triathlon I was dead last on every part of the race.  While it really bothered me that I could almost

reach out and touch the ambulance behind me on the bike, I did get to see a red fox cross my path.  I had never seen one out in the open so it was way cool for me!  One of the things I have learned is no matter if I'm last or not ( I as 2nd to last Saturday) I am out to have a good time.  I thank the volunteers, joke with the spectators and smile so much my face hurts!

2013-06-20 9:28 AM
in reply to: BAMBAM66

User image

Originally posted by BAMBAM66

In my second ever triathlon I was dead last on every part of the race.  While it really bothered me that I could almost

reach out and touch the ambulance behind me on the bike, I did get to see a red fox cross my path.  I had never seen one out in the open so it was way cool for me!  One of the things I have learned is no matter if I'm last or not ( I as 2nd to last Saturday) I am out to have a good time.  I thank the volunteers, joke with the spectators and smile so much my face hurts!

Not quite a DFL story, but I was 254/258 in a Sprint Tri swim..  Which sucked because I was still in the top 3rd overall.  Probably could have come close to a podium had I been able to actually swim.

2013-06-20 11:51 AM
in reply to: roch1009

User image

Regular
Love Team Magic!

2013-06-23 8:35 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

came DFL in my age group at my sprint tri yesterday - admittedly, there were only 5 ppl in the age group - really small for the 30-34 women's...but yeah...and it wasn't even close, the person who came 4th, finished a good 15 minutes ahead of me
2013-06-23 1:39 PM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees
I finish last in almost all my races. My best ever position was 11th from last - i was pleased with that.

Last week I did my first every olympic distance was last out of the river, last on the bike but weirdly overtook a guy on the run, so i finished 2nd from last! That was unexpected!

But, I love triathlons and,as yet, none of the volunteers seem to have minded waiting for me.

Jennifer
2013-06-23 2:56 PM
in reply to: thedallasceliac

New user
Originally posted by thedallasceliac

I haven't been DFL, but I volunteered a sprint last weekend and saw the woman that came in DFL walking her bike to her car after the race, sobbing.  It was so awful. 

This may be the saddest thing I've read on here.

I've never been DFL, but last weekend I was 17/17 in 20-29 male. It was terrible weather, the swim was cancelled and only the "good" people showed up for it, I knew I was screwed but it was my first race of the year and first on my tri bike and I was just excited to get out there.

I live in rural South Dakota and while there are good competitors most people are like me and out there for fun or doing it just to say they could. I started out MFCTL but haven't been quite DFL, it could still happen someday but I keep improving and that's all I care about. For now I'm happy with being after the MOP and in front of BOP, I like to think I'm in my own class.

Since I was a kid I was never much for athletics so I make sure I stay to cheer on the last finishers, I'm the kind of guy who will interrupt the award ceremony to cheer on the people crossing the line. Yesterday I had been done for about a half hour when an older guy (76 I think?) with a terrible bowlegged looking leg, that was all wrapped up in Ace bandages limped across the line, it was just me and the volunteers (everyone who was left was watching the start of the kids race.) and damn if I wasn't clapping and cheering my heart out, I was so proud of some stranger just for getting out there and finishing that it brought tears to my eyes.
2013-06-23 3:35 PM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Master
I was DFL for my first ever MTB race two years ago. I was having issues galore and was at least 10 minutes after the the person before me, BUT the organizers waited for me to come in before they read out the placements and passed out trophies so they could all cheer me in. So sweet, but I felt so bad for making everyone wait! Luckily it was a small, supportive group. Everyone was on board to wait.
2013-06-27 12:43 PM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Seattle

Boom! http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=493553&posts=2&page=1

And I plan to do it again, too.

Aint nothin' wrong with DFL. 

2014-01-03 11:34 AM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

I came in DFL in my first & only so far Olympic.

I didn't love it, it was lonely and almost everybody left before I finished. They'd dismantled the finish chute and balloons, just left the timing mat in the middle of the desert for me to cross and get an official time which was slower than my marathon! It hasn't deterred me completely though, going to try again at Monte Rio.

I wrote about it in quite some detail here:

http://sett.com/gojogo/las-vegas-triathlon-aka-my-first-olympic-tri...
2014-01-03 4:31 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by Rogillio

Yesterday my 17 yo son came home after his first cross-country meet where he raced his frist ever 5K.  Out of 50+ runners, he came in DFL.  I told him I was very proud of him for getting out there and participating.  He is 250 lbs/6'3" and will always be a clydesdale.  We had a long talk and I told him how I admired him for getting out there and trying.  He never missed a practice or training session and even trained in the rain when practice at school was canceled.  Finally, I pulled up this thread on a mini laptop and handed it to him to read and told him in EVERY race, there is someone who finished DFL.  He read and tried to smile even though I could tell he choking back the tears.  My feelings were mixed between tears and laughter - tears becuase I felt bad for Nick and laughter becuase, f-it, it's just a race!

~Mike

Mike,

Gotta say I was touched reading how you handled that difficult situation (dad here too). I am sure that it will stay with your son forever and will likely be passed on.

Chris
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The DFL thread (if you've ever come in last) Rss Feed  

of 5