General Discussion Triathlon Talk » In a food funk. How do YOU get out of it? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-15 4:17 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Subject: In a food funk. How do YOU get out of it?
I can't seem to stop myself from grabbing fast food or eating some delicious fatty frozen something or other for meals lately and we have sodas in the fridge that keep calling my name.  Even knowing I will feel worse after I eat like that, I do it anyway.  How do you clean up your diet when you feel yourself falling off the wagon?

2010-07-16 8:55 AM
in reply to: #2983790

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: In a food funk. How do YOU get out of it?
I usually go to a farmers market filled with delicious and beautiful vegetables, and get inspired to cook. Also looking at blogs for ideas of good healthy meals helps. Doing a good old fridge and pantry purge helps as well, because when my fridge is well stocked and not messy, it's much easier for me to get excited about cooking a good meal.
2010-07-16 10:21 AM

Master
STL
When I'm not "feeling" anything my options are usually:
-a super duper salad
-soup in a breadbowl
-Qdoba
-"sub" sandwich from our local grocery store deli
-big bowl of cereal

all, but the salad are high in sodium, but on the low side of fat (when I pick half of the cheese off the sandwich).  Better than fast food.
2010-07-16 1:05 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Depends on if you like to cook or not. But I like a few food magazines that I either subscribe to or pick up regularly. When I go through them and dog-ear the recipes I want to try and when I need ideas I flip back through to ones that looked good and give them a try.  Generally I prefer cooking at home to most take-out anyway so i look forward to going home and trying a new recipe.

But then just having a plan for the week helps. But then just having a plan for the week helps. It doesn't take away all the snacking but really helps with meals consistency.
2010-07-16 2:38 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Thanks for the replies.  All sound advice I've said to myself, guess it's just better when you hear it from someone else from time to time.  I am NOT a good cook.  Luckily the wife is and she likes to try new recipes also so she saves my a ss pretty regularly Laughing.
2010-07-16 3:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Rockford, MI
shmeeg - 2010-07-15 5:17 PM I can't seem to stop myself from grabbing fast food or eating some delicious fatty frozen something or other for meals lately and we have sodas in the fridge that keep calling my name.  Even knowing I will feel worse after I eat like that, I do it anyway.  How do you clean up your diet when you feel yourself falling off the wagon?

I have been falling off the wagon lately, which is frustrating.  I usually start out the day great, but in the middle of the day eat some crappy things.  For example today, I ate 4 giant marshmallows, which is probably over 250 calories of sugar. Embarassed

2010-07-27 8:22 AM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

It's all about planning.  You simply have to plan and prepare meals ahead of time.

Also, FOOD LOGGING!

I hate food logging, but I make myself do it when I start getting off track.  I log what I eat along with calories and carbs.  You could take it a step further and log your fat and protein too, but I rather keep it simple.

2010-07-27 10:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wellesley, Massachusetts
x2 on the food logging. If you have to write down that you ate an entire bag of gummy bears, you might eat less or not do it at all.

Also, don't keep crap in the house.  I know it's tougher at work where eating habits widely vary, but if there's chocolate at home, I eat it.  We usually keep a 3 lb. bag of gummy bears in the freezer, but I only allow myself two small handfuls a day at most.  So if you can clean out the pantry of the bad stuff, it may help.

The other thing I recommend is to really think about how badly that fast food will make you feel. I was craving fries the other day and I just kept thinking about how gross I felt last time I ate something like that.  I got home and had something healthy and a little bit of chocolate milk as a reward. 

2010-07-27 11:52 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
There are a few things I do......

#1 Either don't have bad food in the house or, get yourself out of the house more !!! If I have junk in the house I can't be there. If I'm bored, I'll eat. I go do something like buy something new for the bike and install it! Or workout!

#2 I buy natural peanut butter and have a spoonful if I feel hungry or want something good. I love peanut butter!

#3 I buy natrually flavored selter water. When I want pop, this seems to take care of the fizzy flavor cravings I have.

For the fast food thing I can't help you. Personally, most fast food makes me want to hurl at the smell of it now. I haven't had any in years. If you have to, find a sandwich shop that has whole wheat bread and hold the mayo. I also agree on the planning. I bring a lunch to work everyday so I won't go out. It would be easy for me to eat garbage at work in downtown Chicago!!

Edited by Meulen 2010-07-27 11:53 AM
2010-07-27 11:59 AM
in reply to: #3007505

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
No way can I rid the house of all the crappy foods, I have a 7yo, and I hate to see her go w/o dessert after dinner :D.

LOL, Brian, you know how much I already spend on a whim, don't tempt me to blow more $!  Ditto the PB, I just bought a new blendtec, I will start bringing some to work to snack on. 

I <3 fast food, I don't think I could ever give up pizza forever.  Everyone's gotta have a cheat day once a week!  I'm back on the wagon this week, doing well for a whole two days Laughing
2010-07-27 12:13 PM
in reply to: #3007530

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
shmeeg - 2010-07-27 11:59 AM

No way can I rid the house of all the crappy foods, I have a 7yo, and I hate to see her go w/o dessert after dinner :D.

LOL, Brian, you know how much I already spend on a whim, don't tempt me to blow more $!  Ditto the PB, I just bought a new blendtec, I will start bringing some to work to snack on. 

I <3 fast food, I don't think I could ever give up pizza forever.  Everyone's gotta have a cheat day once a week!  I'm back on the wagon this week, doing well for a whole two days Laughing

<--has no kids so I probably don't understand, but couldn't you make healthy deserts? My parents used to give us peaches and cottage cheese, or pears. I still love that!!

LOL....I had to tempt you, I'm the devil of bike spending!

Pizza isn't necessarilly terrible in moderation, just watch the carbs and add some veggies.

Cheat day...no no!! Cheat moment, OK ...sure I could blow a whole weeks calories in one cheat day. I usual try to keep it to a moment or two a week.

2010-07-27 12:25 PM

User image

Lafayette, CO
shmeeg - 2010-07-27 10:59 AM No way can I rid the house of all the crappy foods, I have a 7yo, and I hate to see her go w/o dessert after dinner :D.

And by always providing dessert after dinner you may be setting her up for a lifetime of food battles.  I was raised as always having dessert and now I battle with the "need" to have something sweet after meals.  I really, really wish I didn't feel that.  To top it off I was told I couldn't have dessert unless I finished my dinner (which now I know was a huge helping that was way more than I needed) so I ate more than I needed/wanted for dinner so I could have my sweet for dessert.  I agree with doing a fruit or that sort of thing for dessert, at least some of the time so that your daughter learns healthy food habits as well. 
2010-07-27 1:33 PM

User image

Regular
Saratoga Springs, NY

I'm not much of a fast food guy but I understand the pizza cravings.  I can go for months without it but then get a craving that is very difficult to fight.  Even then, I find that fighting it is counter productive because I'm more likely to forage and not enjoy what I am eating until I finally crack.  My solution has been to make my own substitutes and, I assure you, I am not a talented chef.  For instance, whole wheat pizza crust, load it up with veggies and grilled chicken and then go easy with some low-fat/no-fat cheese (or some reasonable substitute).   It may not be healthy but it usually (a) kills the craving and (b) doesn't feel me leaving gross from having eaten a more typical offering.  I have a similar strategy for "barbecued burger" urges wherein I make burgers from 99% lean turkey meat and soy cheese on wheat rolls.  
2010-07-27 1:48 PM

User image

Bronze member

Pure determination, I look at the food and think to myself I will not eat that. That's it, I've quit telling myself that I will just burn it off anyway, or that I work out so much I can eat whatever I want. The fact is when I eat whatever I want I feel bloated and swollen no matter how much I workout. So I've just stopped with the junk. Well almost, do chocolate covered raisens count as junk?
Anyway, I've been trying to "eat clean" but honestly I am hungry a lot. Trying to find a balance between eating healthy and fueling for workouts seems really difficult to me!!  

Oh yeah, that and our town is so small I'd have to drive for 20 minutes to get to a fast food restaurant If it's not at home, we're not eating it....

Good luck!!

2010-07-27 8:59 PM
in reply to: #3007618

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
COSkiGirl - 2010-07-27 10:25 AM
And by always providing dessert after dinner you may be setting her up for a lifetime of food battles.  

I agree, sometimes I think exactly that.  That she will always want sweets.  To her credit, she eats great meals, and more often than not her snacks are a 100cal bag of popcorn.  She does <3 some fruit snacks though!  I was raised the same AFA finishing the meal, and I refuse to do that to my child.
2010-07-28 10:22 AM
in reply to: #3008769

User image

Lafayette, CO
shmeeg - 2010-07-27 7:59 PM
COSkiGirl - 2010-07-27 10:25 AM
And by always providing dessert after dinner you may be setting her up for a lifetime of food battles.  

I agree, sometimes I think exactly that.  That she will always want sweets.  To her credit, she eats great meals, and more often than not her snacks are a 100cal bag of popcorn.  She does <3 some fruit snacks though!  I was raised the same AFA finishing the meal, and I refuse to do that to my child.

I'm sorry if that came off judgemental.  I really didn't mean it that way.  I just see so many people who don't have weight issues (my dad) do this to their children who may not have the same metabolism (my dad could eat an entire bag of oreos every day and still be thin and muscular, even at 64).  I inherited my mother's metabolism so I battle.  I'm very lucky though that both my parents are extremely healthy with regards to cholesterol, blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease so while I may be an Athena I don't worry too much about those things.

2010-09-15 12:11 PM

One step at a time...

I find the best way to get out of a food funk is to take small steps.  Maybe that's simply my way of staying in the funk a little longer because i LOVE food, but whenever I'm in a funk my thought process becomes sorta, ''okay do something healthier with my diet today than I did yesterday''  Even if that simply means drinking more water than so be it.  Also, I've learned over the years that one of the best things to kill cravings for junk food (for me at least) is to increase protein.  If all I start doing is having one protein shake in the morning, I notice that my cravings for fast/junk food begins to decrease.
2010-09-16 6:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Rockford, MI
One thing I have been doing lately is putting a small slice in a Dannon Light and Fit Yogurt and then putting a stick inside it, and then freezing them.  Then when I want a snack, I pull one out, run some warm water on the outside and bottom, take the top off, then pull it out.  Now you have a nice frozen snack that is only 80 calories and is yogurt.  It takes me 10 - 15 minutes to each it vs the 30 seconds when it's thawed out and eaten with a spoon.
2010-09-16 1:13 PM
in reply to: #3100195

User image

Melon Presser
tarheelathlete - 2010-09-16 1:11 AM One step at a time...

I find the best way to get out of a food funk is to take small steps.  Maybe that's simply my way of staying in the funk a little longer because i LOVE food, but whenever I'm in a funk my thought process becomes sorta, ''okay do something healthier with my diet today than I did yesterday''  Even if that simply means drinking more water than so be it.  Also, I've learned over the years that one of the best things to kill cravings for junk food (for me at least) is to increase protein.  If all I start doing is having one protein shake in the morning, I notice that my cravings for fast/junk food begins to decrease.

I couldn't agree more -- both regarding small steps and increasing on lean protein ...

I'm hopeless at food logging. It's not for lack of trying. And if I try to change a lot at once, I'm doomed to failure.

But I know I can make one better choice consistently this week. And next week, another.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » In a food funk. How do YOU get out of it? Rss Feed