General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Skinny Person's Saddle Plight Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-16 7:50 AM

Subject: The Skinny Person's Saddle Plight

I'm sure I'm not the only one on here with the problem of being born too skinny.  Aside from the ridiculousness of finding jeans to fit (31waist, 34 inseam???), there's the problem of the stock seat on my CAAD9 being hard as a rock.  That, coupled with the fact that my bony caboose provides no natural padding, makes anything over a 10-15 mile ride about as comfortable as sitting on a splintered 2x4 with nails sticking out.  Since I'm relatively new to cycling I am throwing this question out there...what kind of saddles do you other skinny folks ride?  I'm looking for one that provides more cushioning than than the stock one, but without being bulky and intrusive.

I know I'll end up having to go to my LBS to check them out...I'm just trying to compile a short list.

2010-07-16 1:17 PM
in reply to: #2984615

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: The Skinny Person's Saddle Plight

Unlike lounge chairs, I believe that the studies show that a softer saddle isn't really the most comfortable choice.  It's more the shape.

there are a thousand saddles out there.  I personally prefer the ones with a hole down the center such as a Selle Italia SLR, although there are hundreds of those.

I went through a fair amount of pain for the 1st 6 weeks of riding.  Then slowly- things don't hurt that much any more.  If you're new at the sport- give it some time.  You'll break in your butt eventually.

2010-07-16 1:26 PM

Haha I'll try to stick it out and pray for callouses!  The stock saddle that's on there is pretty cheap so I'll likely end up upgrading anyways eventually (I figure over time I'll be making tweaks like that to personalize the ride a bit more).

Who knew that making the switch from just being a runner to being a triathlete would be suck a pain in the butt!

(I'm sorry...it's been a long week and I couldn't resist)
2010-07-16 2:24 PM

User image

Pro
Ahh.  Stock saddle.
I know the feeling.

2010-07-16 4:01 PM

User image

New user

Currently riding a Fizik Arione Tri and it's super comfy for my bony arse.  But if you're new to cycling it generally takes some time to get acclimated with the saddle before you can do longer distances. Keep riding and it'll get better.
2010-07-16 5:19 PM

Veteran
South Shore, MA.
33W...37 inseam says your new still....learn to bounce all around that thing like it's a $4 in Mexico EDIT ....I ment to say....Stand ,Sit, Bounce and Jockey on the sits and nose.

Edited by ClassicTRI 2010-07-16 5:25 PM

2010-07-17 10:17 PM

User image

New user
At 6'0" and 133 pounds soaking wet I feel your pain. I ride a Brooks Professional. Fits my sit bones perfectly. That's the real question. Padding, as a general rule, is used to mask a poor fit. It's like spackle for your bum. What you're looking for is a saddle that is designed to properly support your "sit bones." Too wide a saddle will interfere with leg movement and chafe. Too narrow will feel like a hatchet design specifically for your . No good in either case. The caveats with a Brooks saddle are all about breaking them in. How long the break in period is depends on your weight, how often you Proofide the new saddle, and the conditions you ride in (hotter rides = more sweat on the leather = faster break in if cleaned properly afterward, longer break in if not cleaned). The other part of the break in equation is a truism for all saddles that need to be broken before they're truly comfortable - it's less about breaking in your saddle and more about breaking in your bum. Until you've logged a few hundred miles you'll likely never be terribly comfortable on any saddle.
2010-07-19 7:45 AM

Thanks for all the advice!  I've logged around 200 miles on this particular saddle since I got this bike.  I guess if I get up to the 500-600 range and still feel like I'm riding on shattered gl@$$ (get it?...wow I'm so not funny) I'll move the new saddle search into the "urgent" category.  Otherwise it sounds like something I need to wait out for now and see if my buttbone gets used to it, and if not wait for the offseason clearance sales.
2010-07-19 1:16 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Skinny Person's Saddle Plight Rss Feed