General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Used bike or new cheaper bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-16 10:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Used bike or new cheaper bike?
I know this probably comes up often, so point me to a thread or two if this has already been talked to death.

What has your experience been in buying a used bike where you have the opportunity to check it out in person and buying a bike online where you can't get fitted but it is relatively cheap?

2010-07-16 10:51 AM
in reply to: #2985225

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
Subject: RE: Used bike or new cheaper bike?
I bought my first tri bike used, but I'm pretty knowledgeable about bikes in general so I was confident I knew what to look for.    It's been an awesome purchase so far.
2010-07-16 11:05 AM

User image

N Y C
I haven't purchased a "new" bike since the 80's - I am always able to find a great used bike in my size for a steal. Lots of people go and buy great bikes that they don't ride and end up selling for a fraction.

Actual sizes also vary by brand, so be careful.
2010-07-16 11:49 AM
in reply to: #2985301

User image

Extreme Veteran
Actual sizes also vary by brand, so be careful.

This is what scares me.  I would be livid if I got a bike online and it didn't end up fitting.
2010-07-16 1:24 PM

User image

Veteran
San Francisco
Look for a close-out on a prior year's model.  I got a new bike fully equipped with 105 for $800 (retail was around $1600).  Full warranty and right around the price point for the entry level bikes I was looking at.  The dealer was over an hour away and they were no longer going to carry Specialized bikes (thus the great deal) so I lost out on the LBS relationship but the cost savings was worth it for me.  I felt much more confident going that route than buying used or online knowing NOTHING about bikes.  When they rung me up and asked me if I wanted pedals to go with my bike I was like....WTF?  That's how clueless I was.  Took me about 3 months of searching Craigslist and LBS listings on the web to find something but ended up with a bike I LOVE and was almost a perfect fit right out of the store. 

Pretty much everything for my bike I have gotten at huge discounts 40% or more.  Still expensive but got much better quality for the same price.  But it does take time and effort to find the deals.
2010-07-16 2:17 PM

User image

Pro

there is no right or wrong answer to this.  The more knowledge you have about the products and their value, the better deal you can find- if you're willing to put the time into it.  Buying a product on line has some inherent risk, but that can be usually easily mitigated.  Also, finding a 'craig's list' or local bike that's what you're looking for and in your size might take some waiting.

As was suggested, generally shops understand the value of their products pretty well.  Last years' models are often 20% off.  If it's used- that's another 20%.  So you can often go into a shop and buy their 1-2 year old used bike for 40%-50% off retail.... which is about what you'll find on-line.  OK- perhaps a little more, but then you'll get service, fit and an LBS relationship which is certainly worth something.  Often, the local cyclist who is selling his slightly used prized possession- thinks its worth a lot more than it is.

Or- order from a place like BikesDirect.com.  You'll get a pretty good deal on a bike- but in the end, not as good of a deal as it seems.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Used bike or new cheaper bike? Rss Feed