General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Injury and bike training question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-16 9:24 PM

Subject: Injury and bike training question
Hey all,

I have two issues I am hoping to get some feedback on from folks in the know. I finally picked out an event and started training, and I'm still getting over little hurdles like not having a bike or a pool (baby steps). But on to my issues -

First, I have plantar fasciitis in my right foot. Every morning when I get up it feels like I someone beat on the top of my foot with a 2x4. Anyway, usually I can stretch and run through it, stretch some more and just deal. My question is - will running with the condition actually hurt me? If it's just uncomfortable, I can handle it. If the condition can really aggravate an injury, though, I want to stay off of it or figure out a fix...anyone have this problem?

Second, and this question is somewhat silly. At the moment I'm relegated to an indoor upright bike. I get in some good work on it, but I am having an issue figuring out what an adequate "warm up" and "cool down" should be. Usually I don't have much of a warm up on a bike, I just kind of jump on and start hitting my target mph/resistance level. I know this is probably unwise, especially coupled with the fact that I only cool down for about 2 minutes. Does anyone follow an indoor training bike routine? If so, would you mind tossing out a tip or two? Thanks!

~R. 

2010-07-16 9:36 PM
in reply to: #2986521

User image

Elite
Miami
Subject: RE: Injury and bike training question
1)  don't run....take rest, read up how to tape your foot possibly go see a doctor.  i had an issue with this when i started running, i took about 2-3 weeks completely off and focused on bike and swim, increased volume there to compensate....the great thing is bike and swim is lower impact so its easy...taping my foot for the 2 weeks helped me tremendously....at one point i couldn't even walk but i was back running slowly after the rest...you won't loose tremendous run fitness...

1 more thing to add: doctor did put me on 800 mg ibuprofen to reduce any inflammatory issues, seemed to help.

2)  it depends on the type of workout....some workouts on a bike might have a shorter one some longer.  usually my warmups are 10 min, and 5 min interval 30 second hard, 30 second easy then i begin the workout, cooldown is 10 min.

Edited by trix 2010-07-16 9:37 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Injury and bike training question Rss Feed