Huntington, Utah
United States
Emery County Search & Rescue
Total Time = 2h 11m 51s
Overall Rank = 61/71
Age Group = 36-39
Age Group Rank = 6/7
Pre-race routine:

First tri hauling the trailer and camping w/ the family. IT WAS AWESOME!!! Except for the part where we arrived at the campground and found our fridge wasn't working... after a wasted trip into town and phone call to RV dealership, we got it figured out (picky sensitive propane regulators, UGH!)
LOTS OF MOSQUITO'S (Louisiana style - almost Alaskan)
Camped w/ Givemashot and JenL fun to have other families we knew around. Matters fact we were the only ones from our club doing this race.
Event warmup:

One day I may actually give this some thought.
Swim
  • 25m 18s
  • 875 yards
  • 02m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

So we got going and it didn't seem THAT bad. I was stopping a lot and had a few issues sighting. Then came the last leg, I thought I'd NEVER make it back in. :( Couldn't swim more than five strokes or two breaths w/out starting to "panic" and having to tread :( Then my goggles fogged up, pause, lick, go. Then I'd wreck into this one lady, redirect, re-sight, go... then she'd wreck into me, redirect, resight, go... repeat!! UGH!!!!
Okay, more time in the water needed. Two OWS in prep are NOT sufficient.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more. I hadn't gotten in the pool but once since May. That makes only two swims in June and one in July b4 race. OUCH!
Oh, and start singing earlier to calm down ;)
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

Tighter wetsuit = more time in transition.
Oh, and I forgot to unvelcro/open up my shoes, dang it.
Bike
  • 1h 05m 10s
  • 15 miles
  • 13.81 mile/hr
Comments:

Well, even though they put mats over the cattle guards it was still rough. Though I've built the confidence to go over them at 25plus mph now :)
The course was nice, w/ a few little misting drops of rain. Was a little frustrated w/ people riding in the middle of the road (even though it was a closed course do I HAVE to pass you on the right or left of the yellow line? REALLY?)

More weight training!!! Gotta get my legs back!!!!
Transition 2
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

Was going to do the socks, but couldn't get the first one on right despite having rolled them. Decided to take a chance and forego, was well worth it!!

Not even think about socks :)
Run
  • 36m 21s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Please don't remind me of how FAR I have to go every tenth of a mile.

THE BEST PART of the race was running through the campground and having my family there by our trailer waiting for me. My boys were just TOO CUTE in their matching LSU visors. the 4yo was jumping up nd down with his arms going crazy in the air yelling for me. 7yo (and gvemashot's 8yo) ran with me to the end of the park. IT WAS AWESOME!!!!

the first part of the run my legs were HEAVY and I just kept telling myself to push on. It was awesome being able to hear the music most of the course from the park as that helped keep me going.

Not sure specifically, aside from MORE TRAINING!!! HAHA!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Had some water and grapes. Caught up w/ Amy and then we waited to cheer Jen in. Finally found family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training. June was a crazy month w/ Lil Red, Shark Attack, and family vacation - definitely limited training. Basically I allowed myself a week to get ready, WRONG IDEA!!!
If ONLY I had stuck to my plan as I had written it out.
Glad that I did get to do a BR brick on a canyon and hills, that might have been my saving grace!!!

Event comments:

LOVED THE VENUE!! They had a few issues, as discussed w/ the race director, but it was also their first year being sanctioned. I think it'll only get better.
Actually loved the 6am start, was nice before it got HOT!!!

Last updated: 2010-05-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:18 | 875 yards | 02m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 0/71
Performance: Below average
Suit: Zoot - Brand New!!!
Course: One lap around bouys in the lake. First stretch seemed REALLY far out.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:05:10 | 15 miles | 13.81 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: UP a canyon and down the canyon. Two or three cattle guards
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:03
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:36:21 | 03.11 miles | 11m 41s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Flat through the parks and out to dirt service road across damn and through the sagebrush. THEY MARKED EVERY TENTH OF MILE, I SWEAR!!!
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-07-17 12:15 AM

User image

Elite
Utah
Subject: San Rafael Classic

2010-07-17 8:11 AM
in reply to: #2986636

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: San Rafael Classic
Awesome job!!!!!

You do tris like I do (mosquitos. no training. no socks. except it's because i forgot socks).

Truly amazing, esp. with little training.
2010-07-17 11:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
Heather, I love your enthusiasm and realism! It sounds like camping - especially with friends - was a blast. And I smiled thinking of your boys cheering you on - that was AWESOME! Despite the training deficiency, you had a great race. I think that's exciting to show you how great your potential is! Thanks for the report.
2010-07-29 7:35 PM

Utah
Heather

Hi. I'm really glad you enjoyed my race but don't count on it getting better. The line at the registration table caused hysteria and panic in the Search and Rescue guys who have never actually competed in any type of event like this. They thought having to wait a few minutes at a registration table was a major blunder even though I reassured them that EVERY race has some type of minor problems. Especially the first couple of years. Didn't matter.

They told me they didn't need my services any longer in an email on the Tuesday after the race. No handshake, no thanks for all your hours of work. An email! I regret every second I spent setting up that course and showing them what a triathlete wanted to see in a weekend event.

So now you'll have 50 guys who have never spent 5 minutes training for an event like this thinking they know how to improve a race that DIDN'T need improving.

I was planning on a goodwill trade with your race entries and ours but that caused some serious hard feelings also. Apparently I was looking at triathletes enjoying BOTH of our races and they were looking a triathletes as a dollar bill only.

I'm excited to get back into training for instead of organizing triathlons. I'll put your race on my calendar for next year and as far as San Rafael goes 3 words sum it up--It's their loss!

Dave

Edited by dcapalbo 2010-07-29 7:41 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » San Rafael Classic Rss Feed