City of Santa Fe
61F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 48m 8s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 2:30 am WAY too excited for the day. Couldn't sleep at all so I laid in bed until about 3:45 then got up and started getting ready. Headed out the door at 4:35, got to Santa Fe at 5:40ish. Parked, unloaded and walked to transition to set up. Met my friends there and got a spot kind of in the middle of everything. Got my chip and body marking done. Hit the restrooms, drank some water, and began making my way to the starting area.
Event warmup:

A little stretching and jogging.
Swim
  • 12m 3s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

This is the final leg, as this was a reverse sprint. I'm very pleased with my performance in the swim. I've been struggling with continual swimming every since I started this journey, but today I managed to swim all 8 lengths with zero rests! And, add in that this is a 50m pool, not a 25 like I'm used to and I feel even better about it. I took my time getting in the pool, just trying to get my bearings a little still. Once in, I just motored along and actually managed to pass a small handful of swimmers, while only getting passed by one. And honestly, she shouldn't have been back there with us BOPers. I heard her say she got 2-3 flats while on the bike course, so that slowed her WAY down.

On the last lap I actually thought to myself "damn! You're actually about to finish this!". That made me laugh underwater for a second and caused me to choke on some water. Good times.
What would you do differently?:

I just need more time in the pool. I'm progressing every day. I put "good" for my overall swim, since for me, it WAS good!
Transition 1
  • 03m 10s
Comments:

This transition is from RUN to BIKE for our reverse. I took my time. I still wasn't feeling great from the run (stomach), so drank some water and a few sips of gatorade. Then got my stuff and walked/jogged my bike to the mounting point and took off.
Bike
  • 49m 12s
  • 12 miles
  • 14.63 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt surprisingly good getting on the bike after the run. Yeah, my legs were a little sore (quads mostly), but I felt fine. And the breeze was a nice bonus! The course was more rolling hills than Google Earth led me to believe, but I feel like I did alright on them. I took advantage of the flats and downhills as much as possible and would spin up the inclines. I passed maybe a dozen or so bikers and none passed me. That made me feel pretty good. Plus seeing my friends ahead of me on their way back in shouting encouragements is wonderful! I did begin to cramp up in my left calf about a mile or two from the end. I tried to stretch it out on the bike, but it didn't really work. So I just sucked it up and powered through.

More hill work I suppose.
Transition 2
  • 05m 30s
Comments:

This is our transition from BIKE to SWIM. I cramped up the last mile or so of the bike in my left calf. I tried to stretch it out on the bike but it wasn't helping much. Because of this, I had to hobble down to the pool area. I don't know the total distance, but it's a bit of a hike to get there. You go away from the pool in transition to the opposite end, then circle back along the outside of transition to the hill we ran up in the run segment, down that and in to the pool.

Not cramp up?
Run
  • 38m 11s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out near the back with a friend of mine. He runs about a 10 minute mile and I'm much slower. For some reason, I stayed ahead of him through most of the first mile...big mistake. I obviously went out way too fast (under a 9 1/2 min mile!). I grabbed a little water at the water station, but by around the mid-way point, I felt like crap. I really thought I was going to puke, so I slowed down to a walk. I ended up walking about a half mile of the course. During my walk it I got some great encouragement from a girl that we had been leap-frogging back and forth for quite a bit. She would run past me, then switch to a quick walk where I was jog past her, and so on. When I went to a walk, she was running along side and by me and shouted "keep it up, you've got a good pace going, nice job". Made me feel a little better, but I still had to walk a bit. I ran in the last mile or so and felt alright. There's a brutal finishing hill to get to transition, though. No fun there at all.

Nutrition. This was leg one and I had nothing to eat pre-race.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish line, got my finishers ribbon, then saw my friends. Got a big hug and congrats from Jay, the guy that talked me in to this! I went over to the food tent and got some watermelon and a banana. Oddly they were out of fluids though. No water or anything. That sucked. I ended up going up to my bag in transition and getting another bottle of water and a gatorade.

Event comments:

I had a blast! Everyone was very nice and supportive of each other.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-04-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:03 | 437 yards | 02m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 50 meter lap pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:10
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:49:12 | 12 miles | 14.63 mile/hr
Wind: None
Course: Rolling hills for most of it with some good descents to try and pick up speed to carry up part of the next section.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 71
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:30
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:38:11 | 03.11 miles | 12m 17s  min/mile
Course: 1 mile slightly down hill on the road, then a turn on to a bike/jogging path that goes back up hill to the rec center, eventually.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-17 1:50 PM

User image

Master
Albuquerque
Subject: City of Santa Fe Triathlon

2010-07-18 11:13 AM
in reply to: #2987092

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Subject: RE: City of Santa Fe Triathlon
Great job! Hope you enjoyed it - glad to see you feel better about the swim. It does get easier the more you do it.
2010-07-18 11:20 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Steve,

You did great - you should be very happy!

So, what's next? :-)
2010-08-16 2:40 PM

Veteran
Glad you enjoyed yourself and did so well...congratulations "TRIATHLETE"
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » City of Santa Fe Triathlon Rss Feed