GECKO
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 37m 34s
Overall Rank = 12/?
Age Group = M 40-49
Age Group Rank = 4/10+
Pre-race routine:

Had half a bagle with peanut butter and drove to the race.
Run
  • 6h 37m 34s
  • 32.38 miles
  • 12m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I decided to run this race about as hard as I thought I could and ended up doing well but it was certainly more challenging that I thought it was going to be and the finish times reflect it. There are some longish sections between aid that can take a lot of time and this year (2010) it got really hot so it is a good idea to bring plenty of capacity to carry your own fluids just like race management suggests. During the last six miles of the race it was very hot out and I was carrying a hydration pack and two water bottles. I probably passed five people all of whom were carrying only one bottle. I was able to drink from the pack and keep myself somewhat cool with the two hand held bottles.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat and terrain.

Event comments:

All in all a very nice race in a very nice place by people who really care. This was only it's second year and I suspect it will keep getting better. However, this race is a challenge and something a road runner out to try the trails would probably freak out about.

Last updated: 2010-07-16 12:00 AM
Running
06:37:34 | 32.38 miles | 12m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/10+
Overall: 12/?
Performance:
Course: The run pretty much offered everything in equal measure, fast dirt roads, good single track and ATV trails, fairly significant climbs and fun descents and so sections that were very rocky and challenging. The trail is well marked but there are cows who tend to eat or trample trail markings. There was one junction where all markings were stripped away and you just had to guess which way to go though I don't think anyone got lost just added a couple miles to their race. There was also a segment of trail where cowboys were herding cattle right toward us and we had to bushwhack to keep from spooking the heard.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes