Site Issues Training Log & Site Support » Warmup Time Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-18 7:18 PM

Spring, Texas
Subject: Warmup Time

I've been doing well on the training, but one question I keep asking myself is whether  I should include my warmup time as part of my overall training time?  For instance, on the days that I bike, my plan might say to bike for 29 minutes.  Should I include my 10 minute warmup and 10 minute cool down in this time?  If so, then my main set is only 9 minutes long.  I don't feel that I'm getting much out of that.  A plan I used before BT mentioned to include this time, but now I'm not so sure.  I've been adding 5 to 10 minutes on these days, but I don't want to over do it.

Blake

2010-07-19 3:50 AM
in reply to: #2988481

New user

Subject: RE: Warmup Time
bmjehle - 2010-07-18 5:18 AM

I've been doing well on the training, but one question I keep asking myself is whether  I should include my warmup time as part of my overall training time?  For instance, on the days that I bike, my plan might say to bike for 29 minutes.  Should I include my 10 minute warmup and 10 minute cool down in this time?  If so, then my main set is only 9 minutes long.  I don't feel that I'm getting much out of that.  A plan I used before BT mentioned to include this time, but now I'm not so sure.  I've been adding 5 to 10 minutes on these days, but I don't want to over do it.

Blake

Blake I have wondered the same thing.  If you added on top, it would mean an extra 2 hours per week of warmups. 

Whether it makes sense seems to depend if you are looking at a longer vs shorter day.  On the longer days, I just don't have any more time that what is on the calendar do dedicate to it, so I count the warm up.  Because I am likely working at a moderate pace the warm-up feels somewhat like part of the training. 

On the shorter days I am typically working on speed so there is such a difference in pace that I typically don't count the warmup, and likely don't warm up as much as I should (anothe rissue).

So that is how I handle it, but I'd love to hear what the author of the plan was thinking.  That could have been more clear in the description.

Best of luck.
2010-07-19 11:34 AM

User image

Champion
Blake,

These plans are designed for the beginner so I was targeting the Zone 1-2 training which naturally the WU and CD is part of.  If you keep all workout like that then you shouldn't be starting 'too fast'.  If you were substituting harder interval workouts then actually doing a 'proper' 10 minutes warmup and cooldown is more critical. 

I would encourage walking for 10 minutes after a run for a good cooldown, before getting into your car or sitting, it helps me a lot.  For runs you can add a 'warmup' in the form of a 5-10 minute walk before the run.

When you get into the Silver plans that have intervals and higher intensity workouts, the warmups and cooldown are explicitly stated but they are still part of your total workout time.
2010-07-19 1:03 PM

Spring, Texas

I'm still a beginner.  I've only finished one Tri (my first one, too!), but I know I needed to switch up my training this time around to help get more weight off (and maybe do better on some times).  I guess I'm at a point where I want to really challenge myself, but not so much that I get burned out or injured.  So that's been my concern in adding times to my "short" days. 
So if I'm consistent with my increase each week (as well as with the monthly decreases), should I be okay to continue in this manner?  Or, would it be better to pick a different plan?  I know that the plans are customizable, but I don't want to get out of control.

Blake

2010-07-19 1:24 PM
in reply to: #2990161

User image

Champion
Blake,

If you plan to up the intensity and get out of Z1-Z2, then yes, include a Z1 warmup of 5 minutes at the beginning for a few weeks then up it to 10minutes.
New Thread
Site Issues Training Log & Site Support » Warmup Time Rss Feed