Calgary, Alberta
Canada
Alberta Triathlon Association
Total Time = 1h 14m 56s
Overall Rank = 5/161
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 3/24
Pre-race routine:

Attempted to go to bed early (around 2200), but at the grocery store the night before the race I stubbed my toe on a pallet of watermelon and got a 3/4 inch piece of wood jammed up under my toe nail. Had to have my wife pull it out with tweezers as the medical center in town closes at 2200. I thought my race was done before it ever started. Finally go to bed at midnight. Thankfully the swelling had subsided when I got up at 0500 this morning.

Woke up at 0500 (scary that 5hrs sleep is actually a lot for me).
Ate a peanut butter, banana, honey, and strawberry wrap for breakfast.
One cup of coffee.
Headed of to the race.
Found a decent spot to rack my bike and went to check in.

Event warmup:

Decided to make sure I got some stretching in before the race. I didn't want to have any issues with cramping again today. So I started stretching about an hour before my event. Got my wetsuit on about 25 minutes before my start and stretched a little more.
Swim
  • 13m 42s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

I had a pretty good swim. Seeded myself closer to the front than I normally would just because I didn't know how fast the crowd would be. I only got kicked once and grabbed twice. I also come out of the water right about where I seeded myself so I don't think I was too far off. No troubles with spotting and getting around the buoys. The only problem I had was finding the strap on my suit when I got out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

I think I might add a small weight or tie a know in the end of my zipper strap to make it easier to find.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Transition was ok, but not great. I couldn't find the strap for my zipper so I was walking instead of running until I found it. I figure I probably lost about a minute doing that. After getting unzipped I had no difficulty getting my suit off and my bike stuff on. I did suffer a little frustration as my first sock went on upside down so I just decided to go sockless for both the bike and the run.

Need to find a way to make getting my strap easier.

Check to make sure my socks are in the proper position.
Bike
  • 38m 53s
  • 20 kms
  • 30.86 km/hr
Comments:

Got on my bike from transition and started to hammer right away. Went into this race with the idea that this was a sprint and that is exactly what I was going to do. Passed several riders on the way out and managed a great pace. I didn't get a split going out, but my watch never showed below 40km/h for more than a couple of seconds. At the turn around though I hit a patch of gravel and my bike slipped out on me. I went down hard on my side. Then my left leg cramped up again. I wasn't giving up though and worked the cramps out. I got back on my bike, but couldn't really get back up to a satisfactory speed until about 3 or 4km left to go.

|Not fall...
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

A pretty good transition overall. Got my shoes off and my runners on. Grabbed a sip of water and switched my helmet for a hat. Then I was off.

Just work on transition more.
Run
  • 22m 22s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 28s  min/km
Comments:

A great run. Was out of transition and into the pace I was looking for right away. Wanted to go a little faster, but I was worried that my leg would cramp again. Held it all the way up to the last 300meters or so and then hammered down to a faster pace to finish off. The run felt great.

I still think I have just a little more speed locked away that I could have dug up. Not much, but probably enough to get me sub 22 minutes, maybe even close to 20 minutes.
Post race
Warm down:

A little light stretching and walking around to get my HR back down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Falling on the bike, cramping and then just not really being able to get back up to speed really set me back. I think I would have been able to finish the back between 4 and 5 minutes faster had the fall not occured.

Last updated: 2010-07-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:42 | 750 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/24
Overall: 17/161
Performance: Good
Suit: nineteen pipeline
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 20C / 68F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:53 | 20 kms | 30.86 km/hr
Age Group: 3/24
Overall: 6/161
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 10km out and back on very slightly rolling hills. Only a slight wind.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Bad Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good