General Discussion Race Reports! » Midwest Mayhem Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Midwest Mayhem Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lawrence, Kansas
United States
Midwest Multisport Races
HOTF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 05m 34s
Overall Rank = 3/192
Age Group = M3539
Age Group Rank = 1/27
Pre-race routine:

Loaded car night before, went out with Kara to a stargazing event at our church, a few big telescopes and some knowledgable people, good times but didn't get home until after 11pm. Up at 4:30, bowl of cereal for breakfast, and on the road by 4:50.
Event warmup:

biked 2 miles to check function and scope out start of run course, swam a few hundred meters 20 minutes before start.

Start time for the sprint was moved up to 7:45 due to heat, good job KLM, made some parts of the course a little chaotic where long and short athletes were meeting or parting but I think all the short coursers appreciated it, I know I did.

Walked around with a large bottle of water continuously drinking.
Swim
  • 09m 27s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was in the second sprint heat, the first was real small, maybe 20 guys, and they started all bunched up and had lots of contact, my heat was huge, at least 50 in a small and tight course so I was expecting contact. Started well, went out fast and got onto someones feet for a nice draft to the first bouy. Got kicked in the face rounding the first bouy, lots of people doing the breaststroke through the turn. Lost my fish but spotted a pack of guys to my left, moved into their wake, sighted, wondered where the heck they were going, straightened out and got run over by them a minute or so later as they zagged back across the course. They were moving fast but terrible navigation. Settled into a solo swim along the back straight and was swimming as straight as I've ever swam, then about half way through the leg a guy started bumping into me from the left side. Not a big deal as I was breathing to the right, I caught a few glipses of him in my peripheral vision when I was sighting and he was also breathing to the right so I was in full view for his every breath and I'm sure I was splashing the crap out of him too but he stayed right there around the last bouy almost to the finish. We must've hit a dozen times. I finally pulled a bit ahead the last 50 yards into the beach.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, swam straight, started hard to keep from getting sucked into too much madness in the pack, drafted when I was able, settled into a long smooth stroke. I'm slow.
Transition 1
  • 00m 27s
Comments:

Transition swim in and bike out were at the same end, I got a good spot in the second rack. It would've been quicker except for the 50 yard run between the bike racks and the mount line. They moved the transition to improve course safety but couldn't move the mount/dismount line much due to timing crew, oops. Jumped on bike, got feet into shoes, climbed hill, got feet strapped in and was off. My Pit-Stop inflator fell off and spun into the trees just as I got my feet in, it is velcroed on but hasn't been a problem all year. Picked it up on the way out.

nada
Bike
  • 33m 12s
  • 11.45 miles
  • 20.69 mile/hr
Comments:

A solid bike leg, I counted 5 bikes ahead of me at the turnaround, the leader had about 6 minutes but he looked young so I assumed he was in the first heat, caught one or two of them on the return leg. Briefly locked up my rear wheel and got sideways braking for the hard right before the lake, kind of fun actually, made the corner with no issues.

nada, my water intake was a fine balance between keeping cool/hydrated and getting too bloated to run.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

This was also a quick transition, just a long run from the dismount to the bikes, then through transition, & past the johnies. Put on socks.

The long run from bikes to mount line wasn't a big deal coming out of T1 but into T2 the dismount was far enough away from the steep hill and then up a small rise. Race officials were calling to slow down before the steep hill, as I coasted into the dismount line I started to wonder whether I'd make it with the small rise sucking speed away, no worries for me though. After the race I noticed the finish line official was yelling at people to keep pedalling up to the dismount line because some people were unclipping and not making it to the line.

nada
Run
  • 21m 29s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Got passed by a guy in transition (here after known as "Red"), he was cruising but immediatly settled into something pretty close to my pace, I think Red was one of the bikes ahead of me into T2 and I transitioned quicker but he then sprinted on the way out of T2. We caught another guy on the wall, Red ran hard up the hill, I took it easy, the guy we caught walked so I passed him and lost some ground to Red. At the turnaround the leader was now 7 minutes up. Red kept about 100' gap on me to the turn around where he walked the aid station, I actually thought to myself, "sweet, I can walk and get a drink" but couldn't do it, slowed down enough to get a couple swigs of water, dumped the rest on my head, and passed Red. I expected him to fall in step and was looking forward to a showdown at the finish, but glanced back at the bike/run merge and Red was way back. Focused on maintaining effort and turnover all the way back in.

nada, decisions early on to run my race and not burnup with high efforts were rewarded. A good run, but a bit slow, somewhat due to heat & somewhat to slacking on the training.
Post race
Warm down:

Felt briefly sick but sat in lake to "cool" down, water temp was in high 80's but still refreshing. Got my time and splits from the printer. Food, hydration, and chatted then drove home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

heat and a low training volume the past month or more.

Event comments:

This was a well run KLM race, lots of helpfull volunteers, well marked courses, good decision making on the part of RD, only snafu was the bike mount/dismount location relative to transition. I really like the venue, it is a bit cramped but well worth the hassle.

Last updated: 2010-06-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:27 | 547 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/27
Overall: 17/192
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: triangular CCW
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:27
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:33:12 | 11.45 miles | 20.69 mile/hr
Overall: 4/192
229W, 79 rpm, 50 oz water.
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: hilly rectangle with an out and back. It wasn't real windy except for some very strong cross-wind gusts at the tops of some of the hills.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:21:29 | 03.1 miles | 06m 56s  min/mile
Overall: 5/192
Course: loop through the campground with a wall of a hill a couple hundred yards out of transition then out to the dam and back. Rolling hills and shade to start/finish, flat and hot by the dam.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-07-19 10:06 AM

User image

New user
Overland Park, KS
Subject: Midwest Mayhem Triathlon - Sprint Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Midwest Mayhem Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed