United States
City of Santa Fe
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 08m 28s
Overall Rank = 18/126
Age Group = 40 - 44
Age Group Rank = 2/15
Pre-race routine:

After a really crappy night of sleep ( < 2 hrs, due to a loud hotel and a late dinner Friday night served by possibly the world's worst server), I woke at 4:30 am. I ate my usual pre-race breakfast: bagel (with peanut butter and cream cheese) and banana. My wife and I left for the race at about 5:05 am and were parked by 5:15 am. I found a decent spot to rack my bike and then went to get my timing chip and body marked. I spent the remainder of time before warm-up chatting with friends.
Event warmup:

A little bit of jogging to get the blood pumping.
Swim
  • 06m 54s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a reverse tri - so, the swim was the last leg. My legs felt more tired than usual - so, I concentrated on stretching out my stroke and breathing (I was able to maintain bi-lateral breathing). I got hung up a few times trying to pass - but, nothing serious.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

This was a reverse tri - so, T1 was a RUN to BIKE transition.

Nothing real major to report I had a bit of difficulty finding my bike - everything else was pretty standard (for me): put on helmet, turned my race belt so the number was in the back, kicked off running shoes, put on bike shoes, ate a GU, and took a couple of swigs from my transition water bottle.

(This timing split is based on my Garmin 310XT - as the race timing gave only a combined T1-BIKE-T2 timing split.)

Pay more attention to where my stuff is racked!
Bike
  • 34m 3s
  • 12 miles
  • 21.15 mile/hr
Comments:

My fastest bike yet!! The new bike (Cervelo S1) was a joy to ride. While driving the course the night before I was a bit worried about some of the hills. However, during the race, I seemed to be cresting the hills at the point where I just began to start "feeling the hill" in my legs - so, it all seemed to work out. I probably spent about 50% of my time on the drops and 50% of my time on the hoods.

(This timing split is based on my Garmin 310XT - as the race timing gave only a combined T1-BIKE-T2 timing split.)

Overall I was very pleased with my bike leg. However, I think there is still room for improvement here (more speed work in training? more time on the drops? Aerobars?)
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

This was a reverse tri - so, T2 was a BIKE to SWIM transition.

Again, more difficulty finding my rack spot - even more of an issue on this transition that it was in T2. Everything else was pretty standard (for me): remove helmet, gloves, glasses, race-belt, shoes, socks and ( even though I was wearing a tri-top) I removed my top and HRM (they felt "weird" to me swimming in them at my last tri). I took a few more swigs from my transition water bottle and headed out for the swim.

Pay more attention to where my stuff is racked! Also, tell my wife that taking pictures of me running with my shirt off are strictly prohibited (Yikes!! Can you say "Bad Naked"?)
Run
  • 23m 45s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

This is my worst event. I feel good for how I managed my race (good constant heart rate) and avoided the temptation to "catch" a few friends I saw ahead of me (I eventually passed them during the run, but I did it racing "my race").

The end of the run leg was a bit of a mental challenge for me... once you cross the timing mat and get that "I finished the run" feeling - you still had to run up a short steep hill to get to transition! Uggh!

I feel like I managed my heart rate pretty well - so, for my level of running fitness, I did fine on this race. More interval training is needed to get me to the next level.
Post race
Warm down:

Hugged my wife, drank some fluids, ate a banana and a cliff bar, and cheered my friends on to the finish!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

You get what you put into it - so, I'd have to say "amount of training".

Event comments:

The race was well marked, organized, and fun!

I had several friends racing their first triathlon with me this day. It was so much fun racing with them. They each put in a lot of hard work and had great results. I am proud of them and happy I could share the experience with them.

Last updated: 2010-07-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:54 | 437 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/15
Overall: 5/126
Performance: Good
Suit: None - Tri Shorts Only
Course: Serpentine swim. 8 lengths in 50m pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:33
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:34:03 | 12 miles | 21.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/15
Overall: 18/126
Performance: Good
Avg HR: 155 bpm, Max HR: 164 bpm
Wind: Little
Course: An out and back course with rolling hills of various sizes. The course included two 90-degree turns on each leg.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 91
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:45 | 03.11 miles | 07m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/15
Overall: 45/126
Performance: Average
Avg HR: 161 bpm, Max HR: 168 bpm
Course: A loop combined with a short "out-and-back" spur at the end. The first mile was on the street and was straight and down-hill. The next 1.5 miles winded it's way back up the hill along a bike path. The final segment was the out-and-back spur that was, for the most part, flat and on packed dirt.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-19 10:41 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Subject: City of Santa Fe Triathlon

2010-07-19 10:53 AM
in reply to: #2989695

User image

Master
Albuquerque
Subject: RE: City of Santa Fe Triathlon
Thanks for pushing ME to try this, Jay! I had a blast.

You did a great job and 2nd in your age group is fantastic! I'm jealous of that medal. 
2010-08-16 2:37 PM
in reply to: #2989695

Veteran
Subject: RE: City of Santa Fe Triathlon
Great race and an awesome bike split considering how hilly it was....well done all around!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » City of Santa Fe Triathlon Rss Feed