United States
Heart of the Lakes Triathlon
Overcast
Total Time = 52m 59s
Overall Rank = 17/408
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/21
Pre-race routine:

Got up at ass-o'clock in the morning. Granola, coffee, packed the car, and headed out the door. Stopped and got a banana and a clif bar along the way. Arrived at about 6:50 and set up transition area. Hopped in line to use the bathroom (the lines weren't too long yet), then checked in. Found my little brother who did his first race and gave him an old tri top and some tri shorts. Never heard an announce for a pre-race meeting. Glad I wasn't new to things because of that.
Event warmup:

Not much. Got in the water to acclimate and swam maybe 100 or so. Stretched a little. Ate a gel packet about 15 minutes before my heat.
Swim
  • 06m 41s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

Run and dolphin dives into the water. I was out in front of my heat pretty quickly. This is the first race in a while where I've not been in the first wave. So it didn't take very long at all before I started catching up to the stragglers in the earlier waves. It was like swimming a slolem course now and then. Nobody was on my pace at all, so there was no chance of drafting at all. I tried not to crawl over anyone, but there was some bumping especially around the corners. I was a little dismayed to see that I swung a bit wide around the second corner, but I probably didn't lose more than a couple seconds over that. As far as I could tell, I wasn't passed by anyone in my heat.
What would you do differently?:

Sighting a little better after the turns
Transition 1
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

Decent transition. Sat to put on socks. I probably could have gone without socks for this short race, but didn't want to chance it since I'd not trained without socks at all.

Tri-specific bike shoes seemed to make a big difference in getting in and out of the shoes when they were clipped to the bike. I like this.

Maybe go without socks
Bike
  • 24m 15s
  • 9 miles
  • 22.27 mile/hr
Comments:

This leg went better than I thought it would. My goal was to keep my average speed over 20 since I've done almost no training this year. There was a little wind and a long false flat for the first little ways. I was passing many people from the previous heats almost right away. Once the wind was no longer at my head and things flattened out a little bit, my speed went up. I figured that it was a short race so I could pretty much go all out. So I pushed most of the way. Nobody from my wave passed me here either. Cruised on into transition. Again, tri-specific shoes seem to really make a difference. I like it.

Train more. I think I could have kicked this up even more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

A good transition. This is the only part of the race that my little brother was faster than me. He didn't have to change shoes though. Ha!

Nothing
Run
  • 19m
  • 2.5 miles
  • 07m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off relatively slow, but picked up the pace to a medium plod after about 1/4 mile. Alternately thought about walking and trying to push the pace the whole race. Saw one guy from my heat pass me. I told him that I thought he was in first place in our heat, but he sounded very skeptical, so maybe I saw the number on his leg wrong. Was able to pick up the pace a little bit on the way back after the turn-around and saw my brother maybe 10 minutes behind me on the run and cheered him on. Felt relatively good coming into the finish and finished strong. Felt queasy at the end.

Believe it or not... train.
Post race
Warm down:

stagger about. Get a hug from my wife and kissed my son on the head

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The only real activity I've done in the last 10 months or so is hashing (running with beer). I've gone swimming twice, and running (without beer) and biking about the same number of times. Needless to say, I was VERY surprised at my performance. Work and having an infant in the house kept me from being able to train this last year. I think things will be different this off-season and I should actually be able to build a base and prepare for next year. I'll drop my run and bike times yet!

Event comments:

Very nice race, though much larger participation than I envisioned. Great volunteers. Nice course. I'd do this race again in a heartbeat. Had to leave (fussy baby) before door prizes, but that's life. Sorry that I only saw one BT person. Maybe we'll be able to stick around for grilling next time around.

Last updated: 2010-07-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:41 | 440 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/21
Overall: 10/408
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless wetsuit
Course: clockwise rectangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:01
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:24:15 | 09 miles | 22.27 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/21
Overall: 24/408
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Clockwise around the lake. No hills, but some gentle rises and falls
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:00 | 02.5 miles | 07m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/21
Overall: 51/408
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back with a couple gentle climbs that didn't quite amount to hills
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-19 11:28 AM

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
Subject: Heart of the Lakes Triathlon

2010-07-21 8:35 AM
in reply to: #2989839

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Subject: RE: Heart of the Lakes Triathlon
nice race....I know how the infant hampers the training, but for good reason. Get a solid base in for next year, and you will post some great times!
2010-07-21 9:27 AM
in reply to: #2989839

User image

Elite

Great race for someone who has done almost nothing tri related in 10 monthe.  What am I saying, that was a great race for just about anyone.  Nice job.

2010-07-23 8:31 AM
in reply to: #2994338

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Nice race Aaron!  A super "come back" showing.   I bet there will be lots of wins in your future. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Heart of the Lakes Triathlon Rss Feed