USAT
62F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 13m 44s
Overall Rank = 47/372
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/48
Pre-race routine:

Had a horrible night sleep but I guess that's to be expected on the eve of your first Olympic. I thought I did a really good job resting up to the race with a mix of lower volume and a nice massage on Saturday. I also went for a nice 1 hour bike on Saturday night before the race and I think this really helped.

Got to the race early and was one of the first in transition. I didn't know that they had assigned racks so didn't really need to get there that early but that's ok. I like to be early for more than just a good rack spot. Parking close and easy, lots of time if something goes wrong...etc etc. Set up transition and was ready to go. Found a friend of mine after that I didn't know does triathlons till just a few weeks ago. He's a member of LA Tri and talking with him helped calm me down a bit.

I had a specific plan and goal times for this race.
1. Swim easy. I know my swim is good enough to get me out within the top ten without even trying. So I decided to take some of the pressure off the swim rather than capitalize on my best discipline. I figured this was the best plan for my first race at this distance. As I get more experienced, I'll up the swim effort.
2. Pin the bike. I was trying for a time of 1:10:00 or less or 21.26MPH.
3. Hang on for the run with a goal of 45 Minutes or 7:15 Miles.
4. Not race the people in the race but race my plan!

Let's see how I did.
Event warmup:

I decided not to warm up on the bike or run and just warm up on the swim. The warm up was probably about 300-400 yards and I spent most of the time just getting acclimated to the cold water. Water wasn't really that cold but I wanted to be comfortable when the race started. It went just fine. One issue was the rising sun was beaming right into your face on the swim back to shore. It was brutal. Couldn't see a thing. So, I just made a note of that.
Swim
  • 25m 17s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went perfect. I started off nice and easy and gradually picked up the pace. I wasn't freaking about seeing other white caps ahead of me. I just stuck to my plan. I did swing a bit wide into the first buoy but not bad. I could have probably taken a better line. After that sighting and navigation were spot on. I kept my breathing super easy and started picking people off. Some from the previous wave and then some white caps as well. As I rounded the last buoy the sun hit like a ton of bricks. I just put my head down and picked up the pace and tried to catch some waves in. Got up and started the LONG run from the beach to transition. Had a little trouble with my zipper on the suit but it wasn't a real issue.

The swim time included BY FAR the longest, deepest sand run I have ever encountered. It was easily 1/4 mile and was very very taxing. I almost stopped and walked. But I kept running and finally got to the grass and over the timing mats.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe swim a little faster but this is only in hindsight. I stuck to my plan perfectly and executed it. I should have taken a more direct line to the first buoy. I estimated the current would swing me north just a bit and it didn't work out like that.
Transition 1
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

Perfect transition. My time was right in line with the fastest in the race. Most people in my AG were in the 1:30-2:30 range.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 02m 32s
  • 21.58 miles
  • 20.71 mile/hr
Comments:

Mount went great and I was off on the course heading North. Bad head wind. I was only able to hold just around 20mph maybe a little less without killing myself. I felt ok though and knew I would pick up time on the way back south. Hit the turn around and was able to up it to the 23-24mph range. I still didn't want to absolutely pin the bike for two reasons. 1. I had to run a 10K still. 2. I'm not in the proper position on the bike....yup, that's right. I don't have a long enough seat post because BH Bikes is back ordered on them. So I'm sitting about 1-1 1/2" too short on my bike and this just kills the hamstrings. I've also been struggling with seat comfort because of this. So I just did the best I could. There were a couple little hills on the course that I did really well on.

I took in one gel halfway through the bike.

On the second loop I got passed by a girl and that really pissed me off. I picked it up just a bit and kept her fairly close till the end. My hamstrings got real tight about halfway through but loosened up before I got off...thank god. I didn't make my goal time or pace rather of 21.26 and had to settle for 20.71...oh well. Just need to work harder.

Get a bike that fits properly..lol...(Seat post should be in this week along with a new Fizik seat so this should be dialed for next race)

Train more...as usual.
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

Very fast transition...went perfect. Although, I came into transition with some dude who absolutely smoked me in transition. In the results, I saw that his transition was :31...LOL...he was 10 seconds faster than ANYONE...so I didn't feel bad.

Nothing.
Run
  • 44m 11s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Run went great. The goal was 45 minutes or 7:15 miles. I felt strong at the start so that was great. One thing is I hate looping courses. Mentally they tax me...but I felt ok on this one.

Right off the start a guy passed me in my age group and I felt I could hang on to his pace. He just barely cruised by me. So I latched on and went through the first mile at 7:12...perfect..a little time in the bank. Next mile felt good and I looked down to a 7:02...yay, more time in the bank in case I unravel. The race started to get a little long at this point. But I knew I was on course to accomplish my goal so there was no giving up. Came through the turn around and third mile with a 7:13...ok great, now I had about a 15 second lead or so, on the fly math...lol...I head back out on the second loop. I felt like I was keeping the same pace but my legs were simply moving slower at the same effort and I rolled through mile 4 at 7:23...shit, I need to pick it up a bit and not fall off the pace. I knew I could do it. I only had just over two miles to go and I was slowly closing on some folks who were getting tired. I used them as a marker and was able to pick up the pace on mile 5 to 7:10...now I knew I was ok because I felt ok..I was tired, but not hurting. I wasn't fighting off any blisters or strains or tight muscles..etc. I was just at my limits. Last mile was a 7:17 and I was in well under my 45 minute goal.

I brought a gel with me but didn't think I needed it.

Nothing. Just a matter of getting faster through training. The race went according to plan.
Post race
Warm down:

Just stood there for a minute as I was pretty tired. Checked my results and I was off to eat as I was in 11th and didn't need to stick around for awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Strength....just need to train more.

Event comments:

This was as close to a perfect race as you can get from a planning and execution aspect. Everything went exactly how I planned.

I will continue to train and get faster and start bringing the times down. I had a goal on my blog of sub 2:20:00 Olympic which I am not going to cross off as this race had a very short bike course. So I'll leave that up until I complete one with the correct distances.

Next Olympic isn't for a while. I have a longer race in August ( 1 x 34 x 10 ) that I am building to.

Last updated: 2010-05-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:17 | 1640 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/48
Overall: 38/372
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Wetsuit
Course: 250Meters out / Right turn with 4 buoys 1000 meters / 250 Meters to shore. Swells were light and easy to get through. Approx 1/4 Mile run through deep sand added to time.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:58
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:02:32 | 21.58 miles | 20.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/48
Overall: 90/372
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Two loop flat course. It was billed as a 38.5K instead of a 40K but turned out to be 21.58 according to my Garmin.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:44:11 | 06.21 miles | 07m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/48
Overall: 72/372
Course: Two loop flat course
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-19 12:13 PM

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
Subject: Stawberry Fields Triathlon

2010-07-19 1:24 PM
in reply to: #2989995

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Subject: RE: Stawberry Fields Triathlon
Great job...definitely a bit annoying to hit a goal time and find that the course was way short, though (results had me at over 21 mph, but my bike computer said otherwise...more like 20).
2010-07-19 1:41 PM
in reply to: #2989995

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
Subject: RE: Stawberry Fields Triathlon
Thanks Todd.

I see you had the run up the beach as almost 3 minutes! I knew it was something like that.....That was a Bltch!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Stawberry Fields Triathlon Rss Feed