Max Performance
87F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 27m 2s
Overall Rank = 26/322
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/12
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 5:45, and then I ate a whole wheat bagel with peanut butter and jelly around 6:15, banana at 6:30, and drank bunch of water between the time I got up and race time which was around 8:25 or so ... I also visited the freaking bathroom about 4 times, REALLY????? :)
Event warmup:

Hmmmmmm .. somehow I missed the swim warm up, so I really just hopped in the water as they were telling everyone to get out! I spent too long in the freaking bathroom lines!
Swim
  • 32m 25s
  • 1584 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

Soooooooo here goes the story ... I actually really didn't feel that bad considering this was my first OWS without a wetsuit. Someone even tried to draft of me, REALLY? Stop tickling my toes and move on please because I am not the one to be hiding behind on the swim! I navigated pretty good, only once did I find myself going who knows where ... I rounded the buoys pretty well too, which is a first ... I know I am still a slow poke but I am sooooo very much determined to get faster it has got to happen cuz I am sooooo sick of losing to people because they beat me by 10 freaking minutes out of the water!!!!!! Aaaaargh ...
What would you do differently?:

Swim FASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!
Transition 1
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

13 out of 157 chicks ... not bad

I gotta get a pair of tri shoes so I don't have to wrestle with putting socks on wet grassy feet ... other than that I was out of there pretty fast ...
Bike
  • 1h 08m 46s
  • 24.4 miles
  • 21.29 mile/hr
Comments:

Fastest chick split, and 15th overall - there boys! :) I had a great ride. Felt good the entire time. Had a bottle of Heed (with 2 scoops), and a caffeinated gel in the middle of the course (mile 12). Finished the heed and about half of my water bottle. I felt awesome on the flats and uphills, and was able to keep a great speed on the downhills! On my 2nd loop I even kept pace with a dude that had an aero helmet and a disc wheel! Sweet! The black "tornado" loves to go downhill fast even with my skinny ass on it! :) LOVE IT!

Time for some tri shoes since I almost killed myself getting off the bike and running on the road into transitions ... yikes! Now that would be embarrassing!!!!!
Transition 2
  • 00m 32s
Comments:

I had the fastest transitions out of all the chicks!!!! WHAT????? Just racked my bike, through my running shoes on, grabbed my belt and a watch and ran ran and ran ....
Run
  • 44m 13s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I had the 3rd fastest female run split and 28th overall ... not bad BUT here we go again, I want to get below that magic number 7 please! :). On the other hand this is my fastest 10K split yet so I guess I shouldn't complain. Mile 1 was for some reason rough - legs felt descent (calves little tight), but I couldn't get my breathing under control ... I was huffing and puffing like I was running a 5 min/mile pace when my garmin was saying like 8 min pace ... WHAT? I thought I was in trouble but kept thinking positive and it all turned around for the better ... Mile paces were: 7:43, 7:10, 6:55, 7:21, 7:03, 7:23, and finally 6:06 BUT I know the last .2 was way faster because I forgot to stop my watch at the end, and I freaking spoted the 3rd overall girl that was way ahead of my on the turn around and I was determined to catch her! ... aaaaaand even though the overall time doesn't show that which is BS, I caught her and I know I did! It felt awesome, even though I really wanted just fall over and pass out right there and then ...

I took water at each of the 2 water stops .. yes .. entire 2 water stops, took a little sip of water and the rest poured on my neck and head ...

Somehow have a better first mile? .... this is soooo unlike me! Usually I go out way too fast but for some reason this was the other way around ... and no it wasn't the legs, it was my lungs ...
Post race
Warm down:

Once I realized I wasn't going to die ... :), and caught my breath again, I grabbed my recovery drink (Endurox - fruit punch) ... ewww I didn't like it btw, and sat in the balmy lake for a while ... stretched a little bit, and then got some food ... which was also gross, waited for the awards and headed back to Veronika's for a cook out ....

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing really .. I did the best I could at this point in time ... BUT I am and will be getting faster ... WATCH OUT!!!!!!

Last updated: 2010-04-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:25 | 1584 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/12
Overall: 141/322
Performance: Average
Suit: No
Course: Out, over and back ... pretty much all around Lake Dennison
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:07
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:08:46 | 24.4 miles | 21.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/12
Overall: 15/322
Performance: Good
Avg. Power ended up being 185, which is exactly what I was shooting for, and I am pretty happy with that considering bunch of the downhills where my power was non existent.
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loops, pretty bumpy on all the downhills, and one almost a mile long steady climb that had to be done twice, with a few deceiving rollers ...
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:32
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:44:13 | 06.2 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/12
Overall: 28/322
Performance: Average
Soooo I think I started my watch while I was still in transition, and then I didn't turn my watch off till after I realized I am NOT gonna die ... soooo that's why the time difference in my garmin and the actual race time ...
Course: Out and back with lots of turns through a residential area .. I am surprised I didn't get lost ...
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-07-19 3:40 PM

User image

Boston
Subject: Massachusetts State Triathlon

2010-07-21 2:09 PM
in reply to: #2990734

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: Massachusetts State Triathlon
Great race! (besides that swim )

I think you nailed the pacing on the bike which allowed you to post a running PR while still posting the fastest female bike split.

Great stuff that we can build upon!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Massachusetts State Triathlon Rss Feed